Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,087x in 12,282 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Woof

You know how different cultures describe the sound of a dog barking?

https://languagepro.com.br/woof-woof...93%20wal%20wal

In the U.S. we normally describe it as "bark", "woof", "arf", "yap"...and, at least in the cartoons, "bow wow".

A few nights ago my 10-year-old AmStaff-Shepherd mix Gemma heard something outside the house and said "woof". I don't mean she woofed. I mean she very clearly enunciated the word "Woof", just like a person would do. It was so startling my wife and I just looked at each other. "Did she just SAY "Woof" I asked, and the wife agreed that she'd heard it, too.

She has barked at lot since that night, of course, because that's her job, but she hasn't repeated that utterly weird act of speaking again.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (08-06-2022),countryboy (08-06-2022),FindersKeepers (08-07-2022),Red Lily (08-07-2022)

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 2,929
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 43,643x in 28,237 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you made to big of a deal out of it.

We had a Golden Retriever that we rescued which wouldn't even bark.
    One night, when we were hanging out at the fire pit having some spirits, our dog mimicked the sirens from the passing fire trucks. The wife and I started laughing and imitated the dog. She refused to ever do it again. Our fault.
    Let's go Brandon !!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to carolina73 For This Useful Post:

Standing Wolf (08-07-2022)

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial10000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassRecommendation Second Class
    Jen's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,728x in 1,398 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a kitty that we got from the shelter when she was about 8 months old. That was 14 years ago. She was totally mute for about 6 months. Then she started doing a squeek-squawk. She did that weird squeaking forever. Recently.......at age 14 ........she has finally learned to say "Me-ow" and she says it well. Finally.

I think she was raised by wolves for the first 8 months of her life because at 3am she gets up on the highest piece of furniture she can reach and howls at the ceiling in a very loud voice. She isn't saying "meow" when she does that. It's just howling. Then she looks over at me to see if she woke me up.
    WWG1WGA

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jen For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (08-07-2022)

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 879
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    I have a kitty that we got from the shelter when she was about 8 months old. That was 14 years ago. She was totally mute for about 6 months. Then she started doing a squeek-squawk. She did that weird squeaking forever. Recently.......at age 14 ........she has finally learned to say "Me-ow" and she says it well. Finally.

I think she was raised by wolves for the first 8 months of her life because at 3am she gets up on the highest piece of furniture she can reach and howls at the ceiling in a very loud voice. She isn't saying "meow" when she does that. It's just howling. Then she looks over at me to see if she woke me up.
    We have a big grey cat named Mikey who we suspect has some wolf in his ancestry. He, too, when he was younger, used to get up on the top of a tall piece of furniture and howl. Aside from that he has always been very quiet...except for one time in the middle of summer when the A/C unit had to be replaced. It took them a couple of days to obtain and install the new unit and it got up into the nineties in the house. The first night it was off we heard a cat "yelling" out in the kitchen and the voice didn't sound familiar. It was Mikey, and he spent the next couple of days shouting his head off at us. He obviously REALLY didn't like the heat and was telling us about it. As soon as the new A/C unit went on line and the temp in the house came down, he shut up and has rarely made a sound since.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Jen (08-07-2022)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    You know how different cultures describe the sound of a dog barking?

https://languagepro.com.br/woof-woof...#8211; wal wal

In the U.S. we normally describe it as "bark", "woof", "arf", "yap"...and, at least in the cartoons, "bow wow".

A few nights ago my 10-year-old AmStaff-Shepherd mix Gemma heard something outside the house and said "woof". I don't mean she woofed. I mean she very clearly enunciated the word "Woof", just like a person would do. It was so startling my wife and I just looked at each other. "Did she just SAY "Woof" I asked, and the wife agreed that she'd heard it, too.

She has barked at lot since that night, of course, because that's her job, but she hasn't repeated that utterly weird act of speaking again.
    I think that's adorable!

Our pets may know a lot more than we give them credit for.

We have a large fenced play yard because our newest acquisition--two-year-old Penelope, a beagle--would run off chasing a scent if she wasn't contained. And, she's ungodly fast. So, we fenced in about 1.5 acres and she and Oliver, her 4-year-old Border Collie babysitter--play out there for potty time. She's usually pretty quiet while she's playing but as soon as I come out to bring her inside, she starts talking. I have no clue what she's saying but she's very vocal. And, I can tell she's trying to tell me something...
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Jen (08-07-2022),Standing Wolf (08-07-2022)

Achievements:
    VeteranSocial10000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    I think that's adorable!

Our pets may know a lot more than we give them credit for.

We have a large fenced play yard because our newest acquisition--two-year-old Penelope, a beagle--would run off chasing a scent if she wasn't contained. And, she's ungodly fast. So, we fenced in about 1.5 acres and she and Oliver, her 4-year-old Border Collie babysitter--play out there for potty time. She's usually pretty quiet while she's playing but as soon as I come out to bring her inside, she starts talking. I have no clue what she's saying but she's very vocal. And, I can tell she's trying to tell me something...
    A beagle and a border collie. Love it.....and that border collie definitely needs a job so the beagle is perfect.

We had a springer spaniel / border collie mix. He liked to escape and roam the neighborhood, but he wasn't much of a fighter. When our friends brought his bestie over ....... a big dumb malamute, Fenris....... Our dog Thorin would go stand by the hole in the fence until Fenris came over and they would escape together and trot around the neighborhood like cool guys. Not sure Fenris was much of a fighter either, but he certainly looked tough. It was a safe neighborhood and they stayed away from the house where the wolf/dog hybrids lived.
    WWG1WGA

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jen For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (08-07-2022)

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 879
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    A beagle and a border collie. Love it.....and that border collie definitely needs a job so the beagle is perfect.

We had a springer spaniel / border collie mix. He liked to escape and roam the neighborhood, but he wasn't much of a fighter. When our friends brought his bestie over ....... a big dumb malamute, Fenris....... Our dog Thorin would go stand by the hole in the fence until Fenris came over and they would escape together and trot around the neighborhood like cool guys. Not sure Fenris was much of a fighter either, but he certainly looked tough. It was a safe neighborhood and they stayed away from the house where the wolf/dog hybrids lived.
    We'd love to have another dog or two, but my wife's dog, Lily, will only tolerate Gemma and one other dog - my daughter's dog Fantasia, who Lily grew up with and who now visits occasionally. She was fine at the dog park until one day, when she was three or four, she just suddenly became very dog-aggressive. I suspect she'd be okay with a puppy, but there's no guarantee of that. She loves all the cats, though.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (08-07-2022),Jen (08-07-2022)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    We'd love to have another dog or two, but my wife's dog, Lily, will only tolerate Gemma and one other dog - my daughter's dog Fantasia, who Lily grew up with and who now visits occasionally. She was fine at the dog park until one day, when she was three or four, she just suddenly became very dog-aggressive. I suspect she'd be okay with a puppy, but there's no guarantee of that. She loves all the cats, though.
    Our old girl "Baby" (not her name but it's what we call her) had a friend when we first got her. Our cat Bob (a huge Maine Coon). Bob lived to be 17, had diabetes and I had to give him insulin shots for the last 7 years of his life, but Baby adored him. So when Bob died, we thought Baby would be lonely and needed another friend. We got Big Boy (also not his name but what we call him)...... a siamese rescue that had been found with a mangled back leg that had to be removed.

Baby hates Big Boy. We have had him 8 years now and we can't leave them alone in the same room. Her cat box must be high where he can't reach it because he guards her from using it if it's on the ground. They both want to be near me, so if I am in the room they get pretty near to each other, but it's been 8 years of juggling cats. They are both absolute sweethearts. He had major PTSD at first and still has it.......a little......but he's calm enough to sit on my lap. Baby is sitting on my left arm now and gazing into my eyes.

Animals! What would we do without them?
    WWG1WGA

+ Reply to Thread