User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Serena Williams will retire after the U.S. Open...

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,039x in 24,874 Posts
    Mentioned
    886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Serena Williams will retire after the U.S. Open...

Serena Williams will retire after the U.S. Open...

th-1352534574.jpg

After this summer's U.S. Open. Williams, 40, announced her plan Tuesday on Vogue magazine's website. She attributed the decision to the competing urges of wanting another child while also facing off with the world's best tennis players. I'm going to miss that version of me, that girl who played tennis," Williams said, adding a message to her fans: "And I'm going to miss you." "I'm turning 41 this month, and something's got to give," Williams said, apparently referring to the print magazine's publishing date in September.

Williams' 23 Grand Slam singles titles is an Open Era record for women or men. The only tennis athlete with more major singles titles is Australia's Margaret Court — whose record of 24 titles has withstood an inspired assault from Williams in recent years. When play in the U.S. Open's main draw begins on Aug. 29, Williams will have a protected ranking of No. 16. The tournament runs for much of the following two weeks, and it will surely bring tributes for one of the greatest tennis players ever to pick up a racket.

By calling it a career next month, Williams is in many ways coming full circle. She was just 17 when she won her first Grand Slam singles title, at the U.S. Open in 1999. "I started playing tennis with the goal of winning the U.S. Open," she said. "I didn't think past that. And then I just kept winning."

th-3668859542.jpg

th-3757060402.jpg

th-3014298762.jpg

th-3497880780.jpg
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

donttread (08-11-2022)

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 733
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,515x in 14,777 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    Serena Williams will retire after the U.S. Open...

Attachment 51283

After this summer's U.S. Open. Williams, 40, announced her plan Tuesday on Vogue magazine's website. She attributed the decision to the competing urges of wanting another child while also facing off with the world's best tennis players. I'm going to miss that version of me, that girl who played tennis," Williams said, adding a message to her fans: "And I'm going to miss you." "I'm turning 41 this month, and something's got to give," Williams said, apparently referring to the print magazine's publishing date in September.

Williams' 23 Grand Slam singles titles is an Open Era record for women or men. The only tennis athlete with more major singles titles is Australia's Margaret Court — whose record of 24 titles has withstood an inspired assault from Williams in recent years. When play in the U.S. Open's main draw begins on Aug. 29, Williams will have a protected ranking of No. 16. The tournament runs for much of the following two weeks, and it will surely bring tributes for one of the greatest tennis players ever to pick up a racket.

By calling it a career next month, Williams is in many ways coming full circle. She was just 17 when she won her first Grand Slam singles title, at the U.S. Open in 1999. "I started playing tennis with the goal of winning the U.S. Open," she said. "I didn't think past that. And then I just kept winning."

Attachment 51284

Attachment 51285

Attachment 51286

Attachment 51287
    Serena did so much for the sport and built her own empire. Respect.
    She is also one of those athletes who is competitive beyond measure, you can see her giving it her all in tennis or tic tac toe
    Margaret Court's record of 24 major tittles will now likely out live Margaret.

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,039x in 24,874 Posts
    Mentioned
    886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was listening to the Radio and the announcer called her one of the top 5 greatest athletes ever. I thought 'who were the other 4?' (I hate "greatest" monikers)

Jesse Owens
    Jim Brown
    Jim Thorpe
    Secretariat
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

+ Reply to Thread