User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies which couldn’t be made today.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 76,990x in 55,612 Posts
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Movies which couldn’t be made today.

I thought some of these were fairly odd. Mr Mom, Forrest Gump, Back To The Future, Caddy Shack and Three Men and a Baby just to name a few.

I kind of get it with Blazing Saddles, but have we gotten too sensitive?

https://www.brain-sharper.com/entert...SAAEgKZ7vD_BwE

35+ Movies That Would Never Be Made in This Era
    Last edited by Tahuyaman; 08-13-2022 at 06:15 PM.
    When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.“ - Benjamin Franklin.

“When people get used to preferential treatment equal treatment seems like discrimination.” - Thomas Sowell

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tahuyaman For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (08-14-2022),donttread (08-16-2022)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 1,135
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,380x in 15,849 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without looking at your link, the one that immediately comes to mind is Blazing Saddles.

If they tried to make that today, there would be riots in the street.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

Captdon (08-13-2022),carolina73 (08-14-2022)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,475x in 36,449 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    I thought some of these were fairly odd. Mr Mom, Forrest Gump, Back To The Future, Caddy Shack and Three Men and a Baby just to name a few.

They're not odd in light of the progressive mindset. Forrest Gump and Back to the Future, for example, portray positive images of the American past or at least don't focus on America's faults. Both films would undoubtedly draw criticism today for it.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    Without looking at your link, the one that immediately comes to mind is Blazing Saddles.

I saw an interview with Mel Brooks and he said that he thinks he took that a little too far. Still there was some funny stuff in that movie.

But , Mr Mom, Caddy Shack, Animal House and Back to the Future? Seriously? Most of these are light hearted comedies which made people laugh.

What’s wrong with Forrest Gump? Ok, he was mentally handicapped, but he demonstrated a lot of wisdom.
    When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.“ - Benjamin Franklin.

“When people get used to preferential treatment equal treatment seems like discrimination.” - Thomas Sowell

Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 307
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Omar's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,523x in 4,633 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a little off topic, but I was watching an episode of Green Acres last night. Oliver went to pick up his wife's dress at the dry cleaners. The dry cleaner made some sort of remark like "Isn't it a little small for you?", and Oliver said it's for his wife. And the dry cleaner said "That's what they all say", and looked at him like he was a creep.

I was thinking they wouldn't be able to make fun of crossdressers like that today, or more likely they would have actually made it so that Oliver really did like to dress like a lady.
    "Look into my eyes - I guarantee you - I guarantee you we are going to end fossil fuels" - Joe Biden

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Omar For This Useful Post:

Captdon (08-13-2022),Cotton1 (08-15-2022)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar View Post
    This is a little off topic, but I was watching an episode of Green Acres last night. Oliver went to pick up his wife's dress at the dry cleaners. The dry cleaner made some sort of remark like "Isn't it a little small for you?", and Oliver said it's for his wife. And the dry cleaner said "That's what they all say", and looked at him like he was a creep.

I was thinking they wouldn't be able to make fun of crossdressers like that today, or more likely they would have actually made it so that Oliver really did like to dress like a lady.
    That’s not off topic.

They probably couldn’t make Leave It To Beaver today as it had a stay at home mom with a man of the house who was the sole supporter. Wally Cleaver liked girls and girls liked him. Lumpy Rutherford was made fun of. It also was obviously a show for White supremacists.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tahuyaman For This Useful Post:

Cotton1 (08-15-2022)

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 793
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,092x in 12,286 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post

We had an extensive conversation in the last week or so about Blazing Saddles. It absolutely could be made today, with regard to content. You have to keep in mind that the scenes that involve, for example, use of the N word are scenes that make fun of the people who use that word in a derisive manner, like the railroad bosses and the townspeople. Someone would have to be pretty dim not to get that, I think you'll agree.

The one scene in the film that comes to mind as something many White viewers might object to is the sexual relationship between Sheriff Bart and Lili von Schtupp. Those offended by the portrayal of interracial relationships on screen might find their heads exploding.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 793
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,092x in 12,286 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The list is a confused and inconsistent mish-mash of several movies that might, conceivably be offensive in some way to some group and a lot more movies that were just horrendously bad, bad movies, with no possible PC connection. The writer was really stretching to make a list here.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Tahuyaman (08-13-2022)

Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 307
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Omar's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,523x in 4,633 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They probably couldn’t make Leave It To Beaver today as it had a stay at home mom with a man of the house who was the sole supporter.
    A lot of those old '60s shows are pretty jarring to watch today, because the gender roles have changed so much. The wives sometimes get treated a lot like children, like in I Love Lucy and even The D!ck Van D!ke Show.

And then there's The Honeymooners with Ralph's frequent threats of domestic violence ("Bang! Zoom" and "You're going to the moon"). Of course Ralph never actually laid a hand on Alice, but what's interesting is Trixie did beat up Norton offscreen. He told her something she didn't like, and you heard a commotion, then Norton came in with a bandage on his head. He said he was afraid of her when she was around the pots and pans.
    "Look into my eyes - I guarantee you - I guarantee you we are going to end fossil fuels" - Joe Biden

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar View Post
    A lot of those old '60s shows are pretty jarring to watch today, because the gender roles have changed so much. The wives sometimes get treated a lot like children, like in I Love Lucy and even The D!ck Van D!ke Show.

And then there's The Honeymooners with Ralph's frequent threats of domestic violence ("Bang! Zoom" and "You're going to the moon"). Of course Ralph never actually laid a hand on Alice, but what's interesting is Trixie did beat up Norton offscreen. He told her something she didn't like, and you heard a commotion, then Norton came in with a bandage on his head. He said he was afraid of her when she was around the pots and pans.
    They aren’t “jarring” to watch. The problem is some people now think they are.

+ Reply to Thread