User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What does the queen like with tea? Jam sandwiches every day

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,046x in 24,877 Posts
    Mentioned
    887 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What does the queen like with tea? Jam sandwiches every day

The Queen of England likes jam sandwiches with her tea...

1000.jpeg

Queen Elizabeth II has eaten jam sandwiches every day since she was a toddler, according to her former private chef. Darren McGrady claims on his YouTube channel that the monarch favors a strawberry preserve made from fruits picked in her Balmoral Castle grounds in Scotland. “The queen was served jam pennies in the nursery as a little girl. She’s had them for afternoon tea ever since,” he says in a recently surfaced video published in July last year. The sandwiches are made from bread with a little butter and a spread of jam, then cut out into circles the size of an old British penny.

As part of the genteel tradition of afternoon tea, McGrady, who says he was a chef to the queen for 11 years, also revealed the monarch’s solution to a familiar quandary for British scone lovers: jam first or cream? “The queen was always jam first,” he said in a separate video. “The jam went on followed by that delicious, clotted cream.”

th-274284284.jpg

th-1260872342.jpg th-3147163960.jpg th-131147674.jpg

https://apnews.com/article/queen-eli...d3e365743af304
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

RMNIXON (08-22-2022),Standing Wolf (08-22-2022)

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 793
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,093x in 12,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I like strawberry jam on toast some mornings myself, though I confess it doesn't come from my Scottish estate.

Her Majesty is a great lady. She reportedly has a very good sense of humor and her favorite movie is Flash Gordon.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 2,438
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RMNIXON's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,556x in 17,992 Posts
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Afternoon Tea with small cakes or sandwiches is a British tradition of course.
    My Revenge will be Success! - Donald J Trump

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 798
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    midcan5's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,497x in 1,841 Posts
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We Americans drink coffee.....still a pot plus a day for me. Of course my wife drinks tea... women are all contrarians. In America peanut butter and jelly is our traditional sidekick.

"Never trust anyone who doesn’t drink coffee." AJ Lee
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to midcan5 For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (08-22-2022),Peter1469 (08-23-2022)

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 761
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Red Lily's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,076x in 3,439 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As part of the genteel tradition of afternoon tea, McGrady, who says he was a chef to the queen for 11 years, also revealed the monarch’s solution to a familiar quandary for British scone lovers: jam first or cream? “The queen was always jam first,” he said in a separate video. “The jam went on followed by that delicious, clotted cream.”

ALWAYS the jam goes first. How could it not? I'm not sure why they use the word "clotted" for cream though. It should be whipped not clotted. Clotted just sounds ... well ... revolting.

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 793
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,093x in 12,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    We Americans drink coffee.....still a pot plus a day for me. Of course my wife drinks tea... women are all contrarians. In America peanut butter and jelly is our traditional sidekick.

"Never trust anyone who doesn’t drink coffee." AJ Lee
    From what I've read peanut butter is primarily seen as children's food in the U.K., but its popularity among adults there is spreading (no pun intended, of course.) Coffee consumption has gone up tremendously in recent years, as well.

In the U.S., there is a difference between jam and jelly, in that jelly is made from fruit juice and there are no pieces of fruit, however small, in it. I'm not entirely sure how "jam" is defined in the U.K. - whether or not it includes what we call "jelly" - but of course their jelly is what we call jello (the brand name being easier to say than "gelatin dessert"), so I'd be cautious about asking for a "peanut butter and jelly sandwich" over there.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Mini Me (08-25-2022)

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,853
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,935x in 8,813 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Lily View Post

ALWAYS the jam goes first. How could it not? I'm not sure why they use the word "clotted" for cream though. It should be whipped not clotted. Clotted just sounds ... well ... revolting.
    It's not like whipped cream, it's more like a whipped cream cheese that tastes like unsalted butter:

"The dish is traditionally made with full-fat unpasteurized cow's milk, although many recipes today feature heavy cream. In order for it to be considered authentic clotted cream, it needs to contain about 55 percent butterfat. The milk or cream is heated in a shallow pan for many hours until the cream rises to the surface and thickens or clots (hence the name). This thickened cream is skimmed off the top and is served with scones, at afternoon teas, and on summer berries. It has the consistency of softened cream cheese and tastes similar to a quality unsalted butter. It is sold in jars depending on the brand, and it is at least three times the price of whipped cream.
    "What Is English Clotted Cream? (thespruceeats.com)

In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (08-23-2022)

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,853
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,935x in 8,813 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    From what I've read peanut butter is primarily seen as children's food in the U.K., but its popularity among adults there is spreading (no pun intended, of course.) Coffee consumption has gone up tremendously in recent years, as well.

In the U.S., there is a difference between jam and jelly, in that jelly is made from fruit juice and there are no pieces of fruit, however small, in it. I'm not entirely sure how "jam" is defined in the U.K. - whether or not it includes what we call "jelly" - but of course their jelly is what we call jello (the brand name being easier to say than "gelatin dessert"), so I'd be cautious about asking for a "peanut butter and jelly sandwich" over there.
    According to Quora, the term jelly is used on a limited basis in the UK to describe a jam without any solids such as Bramble Jelly. However neither jam nor a jam jelly contains gelatin, but rather pectin which is derived from fruit. The primary difference, apart from the vegetarian origin of pectin, is that it permanently thickens with heat whereas gelatin is only gelatinous when cold.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 746
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Mini Me's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,646x in 1,282 Posts
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have English Muffins with peanut butter and strawberry jam every morning. Its soooo good!
    Then after dinner I will have peanut butter on Ritz crackers. I put peanut butter on waffles, too.

+ Reply to Thread