Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,542x in 94,964 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pharmaceutical Adverse Reactions Are Skyrocketing

Prior to COVID the media largely ignored vax adverse reactions. Not so with the COVID vax. Perhaps the sudden presence of this information caused awareness in people who are now reporting adverse reactions at a higher rate??

The article thinks it is people taking too many scripts together. I have said here before that once when I checked two meds prescribed to me (on WebMD) a major drug interaction came up. You would think the doc would check that out. And the pharmacist.

Pharmaceutical Adverse Reactions Are Skyrocketing

Researchers published some shocking statistics about the dramatic rise in adverse drug reactions in the UK in a study published in BMJ Open in July. Many of these adverse reactions were related to the number of prescriptions prescribed to the study participants.

“Polypharmacy,” the term for prescribing multiple drugs, is at the heart of an epidemic of overprescription. The issue has been snowballing in the past decade as big pharma continues to develop new drugs. To truly achieve better health, patients need to be advised and supported to make lifestyle changes that support health. That’s because most of the chronic conditions that people are being treated for arise directly out of factors ranging from a poor diet and lack of exercise to habits such as smoking and drinking. In the case of immediate need, drugs can provide a stop-gap measure, but true healing requires addressing the root causes of the illness. Unfortunately, this rarely happens. Instead, health care providers simply prescribe drugs for a condition—sometimes with multiple prescriptions.

When a patient ends up taking multiple prescriptions, it’s called polypharmacy, a term that is used often but with varied definitions. According to one article, the term polypharmacy “was used over one and a half centuries ago to refer to issues related to multiple-drug consumption and excessive use of drugs.”

No matter when the term originated, it’s commonly accepted that polypharmacy is the prescription of too many medications. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), “Polypharmacy, often defined as the simultaneous use of five or more prescription drugs, is more common in an aging population where multiple coexisting chronic conditions often occur.”

The use of multiple prescriptions is almost always to treat several chronic conditions at the same time. Yet this causes side effects, can trigger additional health concerns, and can even lead to death. The results from the featured study demonstrate the depth of the need for deprescribing to affect a real change in people’s health.

Polypharmacy Driving Adverse Drug Reactions

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

jigglepete (09-10-2022),Just AnotherPerson (09-10-2022),montana (09-10-2022),zelmo1234 (04-16-2024)

Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    jigglepete's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,791x in 2,269 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When my parents took my grandfather to a new doctor, they bagged up all his current meds and took them with them. They walked in with 18 bottles, and walked out with 4. Apparently the doctor was appalled at the over prescriptions, especially the adverse reactions some of them had with each other. I have to think that move extended my gramp's life, and if not definitely raised his quality of life.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jigglepete For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (09-10-2022),Peter1469 (09-10-2022)

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,758
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    montana's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,147x in 3,093 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglepete View Post
    When my parents took my grandfather to a new doctor, they bagged up all his current meds and took them with them. They walked in with 18 bottles, and walked out with 4. Apparently the doctor was appalled at the over prescriptions, especially the adverse reactions some of them had with each other. I have to think that move extended my gramp's life, and if not definitely raised his quality of life.
    My grandma developed bleeding and after a week in the hospital was near death at 70.She was flown too one of the states top hospitals along with the two shoeboxes of meds.She would also once a week get a shot of phenobarbital which made her sleep 24 to 36 hours.The docs there were very upset at the 48 different meds she was taking reduced to 9 and she lived to be 84

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to montana For This Useful Post:

jigglepete (09-10-2022),Just AnotherPerson (09-10-2022),Peter1469 (09-10-2022)

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 2,210
    Achievements:
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,555x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This reminds me of a vid I watched not long ago by this Cardiologist, Dr Sanjay Gupta from York Cardiology. He made this vid talking about how people are prescribed too many pills. He had to go home to take care of his father and his father had to take so many pills that he would wretch when he was taking them. He says how distressing it was to watch, and how doctors never get to see that side of it. He tells his audience that patients should challenge their doctors to review their medications. I thought it was a great video. Nice to hear a doctor talk from such a perspective.

We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

jigglepete (09-10-2022),Peter1469 (09-11-2022)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    This reminds me of a vid I watched not long ago by this Cardiologist, Dr Sanjay Gupta from York Cardiology. He made this vid talking about how people are prescribed too many pills. He had to go home to take care of his father and his father had to take so many pills that he would wretch when he was taking them. He says how distressing it was to watch, and how doctors never get to see that side of it. He tells his audience that patients should challenge their doctors to review their medications. I thought it was a great video. Nice to hear a doctor talk from such a perspective.

After watching the vid, I am still baffled by Gupta's fervent (and wrong) anti-weed stance (until he did the "ole switcharoo" of course) but I guess even smart folks can continue learning. I have gained a modicum of respect for him...reluctantly...credit where credit is due I suppose.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jigglepete For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (09-10-2022)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After watching the vid, I am still baffled by Gupta's fervent (and wrong) anti-weed stance (until he did the "ole switcharoo" of course) but I guess even smart folks can continue learning. I have gained a modicum of respect for him...reluctantly...credit where credit is due I suppose.
    Are you are thinking of The CNN Sanjay Gupta : ) They have the same name but they are different docs. But the CNN Gupta has changed his mind on his weed stance. He says he was wrong.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

jigglepete (09-10-2022),montana (09-10-2022)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you are thinking of The CNN Sanjay Gupta : ) They have the same name but they are different docs. But the CNN Gupta has changed his mind on his weed stance. He says he was wrong.
    That's the one (and what I meant by "the ole switcharoo") I like this one completely then

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jigglepete For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (09-10-2022)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the one (and what I meant by "the ole switcharoo") I like this one completely then :)
    : )

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,542x in 94,964 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think more doctors are moving away from scripts - at least lots of them.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (09-11-2022)

Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    QuaseMarco's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,471x in 1,791 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "All can see what’s happening. With Biden’s cognitive decline being so obvious, there can be little doubt that he is being used by internal and external enemies of America intent on breaking down the constitutional republic of the United States without firing a shot.".
    Scott S. Powell

+ Reply to Thread