Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,049x in 8,897 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina73 View Post
    Pre-nups and immigration threats. After 3 years maybe it was time for a trade in anyways. LOL
    But people also get comfortable with arranged marriages.
    They do when they are culturally so predisposed. Arranged marriage is neither a Russian or Eastern European thing. I wonder if this woman is working? If not, this would be a really dumb move. If hubby won't support her, she'll probably have to go back. However, if she can support herself, the immigration threat could fall flat.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,542x in 94,964 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    They do when they are culturally so predisposed. Arranged marriage is neither a Russian or Eastern European thing. I wonder if this woman is working? If not, this would be a really dumb move. If hubby won't support her, she'll probably have to go back. However, if she can support herself, the immigration threat could fall flat.
    When you married a non-citizen, to get them into the US you sign a lot of forms to include financial support agreements. If you decide to dump them CDP (or State Department) can keep them in the US and just garnish your wages to cover what the government doles out to the scorned bought woman.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (09-24-2022)

Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 1,570
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 44,141x in 28,533 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    When you married a non-citizen, to get them into the US you sign a lot of forms to include financial support agreements. If you decide to dump them CDP (or State Department) can keep them in the US and just garnish your wages to cover what the government doles out to the scorned bought woman.
    I'm surprised by that. I was always under the belief that they had to stayed married a certain number of years to avoid deportation. This was to avoid quick marriages for citizenship. But I have had no reason to look at the laws.
    Let's go Brandon !!!

Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 77,629x in 56,017 Posts
    Mentioned
    707 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A woman is not going to become a foreign bride if she has a good life in her home country.

In this case I’m certain the husband will support her as they have a young son together.
    When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.“ - Benjamin Franklin.

“When people get used to preferential treatment equal treatment seems like discrimination.” - Thomas Sowell

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 2,260
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    A woman is not going to become a foreign bride if she has a good life in her home country.

In this case I’m certain the husband will support her as they have a young son together.
    "A good life" is very subjective. Since all Russian women are not trying to find foreign husbands, those who are, have different values than the rest and are willing to overlook the fact that the guy is either shopping for a trophy wife or is considered undateable in America, as long as he makes decent money. To believe otherwise is very naive.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina73 View Post
    I'm surprised by that. I was always under the belief that they had to stayed married a certain number of years to avoid deportation. This was to avoid quick marriages for citizenship. But I have had no reason to look at the laws.
    They are supposed to, but outside of a sham marriage situation, the government goes out of their way to help a scorned foreign wife.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (09-26-2022)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post

We use to say they want to come to the land of the Big PX.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 77,629x in 56,017 Posts
    Mentioned
    707 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    We use to say they want to come to the land of the Big PX.
    That was a term used by military people. Not non military.

When I was in Berlin, we called the US “the world.”’ If I had a package from home in the mail room, the mail clerk would tell me to come down and pick up my package from the world.
    Last edited by Tahuyaman; 09-26-2022 at 09:00 PM.
    When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.“ - Benjamin Franklin.

“When people get used to preferential treatment equal treatment seems like discrimination.” - Thomas Sowell

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,582x in 36,516 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    "A good life" is very subjective. Since all Russian women are not trying to find foreign husbands, those who are, have different values than the rest and are willing to overlook the fact that the guy is either shopping for a trophy wife or is considered undateable in America, as long as he makes decent money. To believe otherwise is very naive.
    There are other reasons. Some men just want a traditional wife and not an ambitious career gal who is already sterile by the time she's ready to have a child. The most common interracial couple, for example, is white male/Asian female.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 2,260
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    There are other reasons. Some men just want a traditional wife and not an ambitious career gal who is already sterile by the time she's ready to have a child. The most common interracial couple, for example, is white male/Asian female.
    That may be true of Asian wives but Russian and Eastern European women are not shrinking violets. I'm not sure that 'traditional' necessarily describes them. Chances are they are working for a living. Many of them have advanced degrees and professional careers and they are quite opinionated. There is a shortage of good husband material in Russia, in particular - now maybe also in Ukraine. In fact, there are simply more women than men and women are expected to be married well before they are 30. Russian men tend to abuse alcohol and their wives and are unfaithful - the women tolerate it because of the shortage of males, but infidelity is also common among those who have cheating husbands. Some will marry a foreigner in order to have children. Having children is a cultural priority, however very few would choose to leave Russia, even to have children. They may well be happy in a traditional role as a stay-at-home wife if they are from the more rural conservative parts of Russia, but if they are from the bigger cities, not necessarily. Today's young Russian women are quite different from those even 20-years-ago. The problem is that many on those matrimony sites are simply looking for a legal sugar daddy, so as they say, "you pays yer money, you takes yer chances".

Mahatma Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread