carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 43,650x in 28,240 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't claim that we would have a automatic nuclear response.

What I would expect is:

1) We would not respond with nuclear weapons.

2) We would go to an immediate response mode.

3) Russia would be immediately shut down economically and we cease relationships with countries supporting Russia. Totally isolate them. That includes countries like India and Turkey who walk both sides of the line.

4) The gloves would be off in supporting Ukraine. We would fully arm Ukraine.

But the nuclear fallout would also reach Russia and other Eastern European countries, varying on what type of nuke. These tactical nukes are similar in size to Little Boy but only 2% of fissile material in Hiroshima Bomb actually detonated.

So, the miltary claim can be made that the impact is acceptable but people are not going to view this escalation of nuclear weapons as acceptable. After all the liberals set the doomsday clock at its highest level ever. Imagine how the people will react to the use of the word nuclear weapons.
    Let's go Brandon !!!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carolina73 For This Useful Post:

Captdon (09-23-2022),Cletus (09-21-2022)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,245x in 27,866 Posts
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMNIXON View Post
    Tactical Nuclear Weapons were considered in Vietnam and rejected for the same reasons that would apply in the Ukraine. It is an open invitation for NATO countries to do the same!
    I just read about that. It was Nixon implementing the "Madman Strategy" to convince our enemy he just might use nuclear weapons. It was a strategy to get our enemy to a negotiation.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina73 View Post
    I don't claim that we would have a automatic nuclear response.

What I would expect is:
    1) We would not respond with nuclear weapons.
    2) We would go to an immediate response mode.
    3) Russia would be immediately shut down economically and we cease relationships with countries supporting Russia. Totally isolate them. That includes countries like India and Turkey who walk both sides of the line.

4) The gloves would be off in supporting Ukraine. We would fully arm Ukraine.

But the nuclear fallout would also reach Russia and other Eastern European countries, varying on what type of nuke. These tactical nukes are similar in size to Little Boy but only 2% of fissile material in Hiroshima Bomb actually detonated.

So, the military claim can be made that the impact is acceptable but people are not going to view this escalation of nuclear weapons as acceptable. After all the liberals set the doomsday clock at its highest level ever. Imagine how the people will react to the use of the word nuclear weapons.
    Russia has nuclear weapons with low yields, as low as 0.3kt. In the scenario I described there won't be appreciable fallout.

How would we shut down Russia economically?

Your strategy then is to cement a relationship between Russia, India, China, Iran, Turkey, and Pakistan?
    What more would we give Ukraine that 80 billion dollars has not already provided?

And what would "we" do about the successful breakout and Russian offensive operations?
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,566x in 94,410 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    Several people here have claimed that a Russian use of tactical nuclear weapons would be a "game changer." Okay.

A game changer is an idea or an event, or procedure that effects a significant shift in the current manner of doing or thinking about something.

So what would change?

I gave the example in Ukraine of a series of nuclear strikes to open a gap and destroy their supporting logistics in order to return to offensive operations in eastern Ukraine. Great. The game has changed. What would happen?
    If Russia used a low yield nuke(s) to gain a tactical advantage it may shock the world in the short term. What would it change? Probably the realization that low yield nuclear weapons have a tactical function to play in modern warfare. Although it would increase the risk of a strategic nuclear exchange.

If the target(s) were purely military and fallout was minimal, I am not sure what NATO/US would do in response beyond more sanctions. But the sanctions so far has earned Russia net more money than less.
    Last edited by Peter1469; 09-22-2022 at 03:01 AM.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Xl View Post
    I don't know if we would or not, but if we did respond then Russia would likely respond to us. Why is this worth it again? How does it serve America and the average Americans interests to get into nuclear war with Russia over a country that isn't ours?
    It's not worth. In fact, it only increases the risk of our demise.

But, we're dealing with strong leftover remnants of the Red Scare. We're seeing McCarthyism trotted out on a daily basis--literally.

People can only think what they think--and that's the problem here. This current mess reared its ugly head during Obama's tenure, and it failed then, but only temporarily. It's back. In spades.

Otherwise reasonable people are only seeing one side of this issue--The Russians are coming. The Russians are coming.

They're not seeing what led up to Russia's invasion, and they're not seeing how they're playing an active role in ginning up animosities that could lead to an expanded war. Could the US win that war? I think so, but the loss of life on all sides would be astronomical and the destruction of natural resources would take a lengthy toll.

They're especially not seeing how they've fallen away from our Founder's ideas of staying out of wars that are none of our business.

But, ideology is slow to change. It takes generations some times. It may also take a massive destructive war.

We live in interesting times.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (09-23-2022)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    If Russia used a low yield nuke(s) to gain a tactical advantage it may shock the world in the short term. What would it change? Probably the realization that low yield nuclear weapons have a tactical function to play in modern warfare. Although it would increase the risk of a strategic nuclear exchange.

If the target(s) were purely military and fallout was minimal, I am not sure what NATO/US would do in response beyond more sanctions. But the sanctions so far has earned Russia net more money than less.
    I am not that sure that the risks of a strategic strike would increase following the tactical use of nuclear weapons in a third country.

I am reading an old book on, among other things, economic warfare, specifically sanctions and high tariffs. Most of them fail or do more harm to the sanctioning country than the sanctioned country.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MisterVeritis For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (09-23-2022)

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 2,902
    Overall activity: 76.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 43,650x in 28,240 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    Russia has nuclear weapons with low yields, as low as 0.3kt. In the scenario I described there won't be appreciable fallout.

How would we shut down Russia economically?

Your strategy then is to cement a relationship between Russia, India, China, Iran, Turkey, and Pakistan?
    What more would we give Ukraine that 80 billion dollars has not already provided?

And what would "we" do about the successful breakout and Russian offensive operations?
    All Biden did as Putin's friend was to shut off about 7 of 300 Russian banks from Swift. Guess what? Money has just changed banks.

We have yet to pressure countries like India and Turkey in their purchases from Russia. We can also let China know that their continuing to support China will create more tariffs. We should be taking money out of their war machine early in any case.

We should also take stronger actions against Russian allies to make them make a choice. That includes Venezuela, Cuba, the new Russian move on Brazil...

Most of all we should open up fossil fuels in North America and stop this Biden nonsense once and for all. I know that will not happen under this idiot in the White House. Maybe he will croak. No I will not feel bad for saying it.
    Let's go Brandon !!!

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina73 View Post
    All Biden did as Putin's friend was to shut off about 7 of 300 Russian banks from Swift. Guess what? Money has just changed banks.

We have yet to pressure countries like India and Turkey in their purchases from Russia. We can also let China know that their continuing to support China will create more tariffs. We should be taking money out of their war machine early in any case.

We should also take stronger actions against Russian allies to make them make a choice. That includes Venezuela, Cuba, the new Russian move on Brazil...

Most of all we should open up fossil fuels in North America and stop this Biden nonsense once and for all. I know that will not happen under this idiot in the White House. Maybe he will croak. No I will not feel bad for saying it.
    What Biden did was use the prime reserve currency as a war weapon. So now we are on track to lose the dollar as the prime reserve currency.

tPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,039x in 24,874 Posts
    Mentioned
    886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    warning

Warning

@Tahuyaman and @MisterVeritis - stop the bickering and fighting.

If you have questions or concerns about this moderation action, please use the Report button to let us know.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

+ Reply to Thread