User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: Stacey Abrams says 'no such thing' as 6-week fetal heartbeat: 'Manufactured sound'

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,531x in 55,047 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    I see he continues to struggle with the fact that harm and the perception of harm are not the same thing. He keeps recycling the same failed arguments and asking the same stupid questions.
    Right, for as @Cletus explained above, the tree falling creates a sound whether anyone is there to perceive it.

Besides, society is there to perceive the taking of a life.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Captdon (09-28-2022)

Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 44,147x in 28,536 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Oh no we're back to a tree falling and no one hearing it as justification for taking life.

Perfect justification for killing the homeless, single illegals, old people or anyone else that will not be noticed missing.
    Let's go Brandon !!!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carolina73 For This Useful Post:

Captdon (09-28-2022),Cletus (09-25-2022)

Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 1,009
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Calendar Award
    TheLiquidGuy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,039x in 1,743 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    Uh, no, it isn't.

"What is Sound?

A sound is a vibration that propagates through a medium in the form of a mechanical wave. The medium in which it propagates can either be a solid, a liquid or a gas. Sound travels fastest in solids, relatively slower in liquids and slowest in gases.

In physics, the sound is defined as a vibration that propagates as an audible wave of pressure, through a medium such as a gas, liquid or solid. "
    Cherry picking definitions now? How long did you have to look to dig that one up?

As usual, I will take the first three definitions I find on google.

Google: sound def

Go check them out. They agree with my point that sound is connected to perception.

In any case, sound definitions don't matter. You seem more interested in contradicting me than understanding the point I am making.

The person you are killing is losing. You keep forgetting that you are killing a human being.
    The term "Human being" is doing a lot of heavy lifting for you. A whole lot.

Yes its a human being. I will even call it a "helpless innocent baby" if it pleases you. I don't care what name you assign to it. The fact remains that there is no subjective experience for it. There is no mind. I dont know how many more times you can ignore that problem before addressing it. Why do you care about a thing that cannot even care about itself? Cletus, there is no person in there. Until a certain point, its alive in the sense that a house plant is alive.

...The being you kill certainly experiences the consequences...
    No, I am talking about a subjective experience. The fetus does not cognitively experience any harm. There is no suffering, loss, pain, or knowledge of the event.

The mother doesn't care
    The "baby" doesn't care
    The doctor doesn't care
    Nobody cares. Only you.

You won't convince any sane, rational person.
    A majority of Americans are already convinced. And the portion of pro-lifers who agree to exceptions for rape/incest also agree with no harm no foul. If they didn't, they wouldn't allow any exceptions.

Refresh my memory, do you approve of exceptions for rape/incest?

I guess you don't consider killing an innocent to be "harm".
    That's correct. A rock is innocent. Yet I have no reservations about smashing one, because it is not capable of conscious experience.

“Just say the election was corrupt and leave the
    rest to me and the Republican congressmen”
    --Donald Trump

Speaking to the Justice Department on Dec. 27, 2020. Conversation memorialized in then-acting Deputy Attorney General Richard Donoghue’s contemporaneous notes.

Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 44,147x in 28,536 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLiquidGuy View Post
    Cherry picking definitions now? How long did you have to look to dig that one up?

Go check them out. They agree with my point that sound is connected to perception.

In any case, sound definitions don't matter. You seem more interested in contradicting me than understanding the point I am making.

Yes its a human being. I will even call it a "helpless innocent baby" if it pleases you. I don't care what name you assign to it. The fact remains that there is no subjective experience for it. There is no mind. I dont know how many more times you can ignore that problem before addressing it. Why do you care about a thing that cannot even care about itself? Cletus, there is no person in there. Until a certain point, its alive in the sense that a house plant is alive.

No, I am talking about a subjective experience. The fetus does not cognitively experience any harm. There is no suffering, loss, pain, or knowledge of the event.

The mother doesn't care
    The "baby" doesn't care
    The doctor doesn't care
    Nobody cares. Only you.

A majority of Americans are already convinced. And the portion of pro-lifers who agree to exceptions for rape/incest also agree with no harm no foul. If they didn't, they wouldn't allow any exceptions.

Refresh my memory, do you approve of exceptions for rape/incest?

That's correct. A rock is innocent. Yet I have no reservations about smashing one, because it is not capable of conscious experience.
    Okay. Just like any murder.

The murderer doesn't care
    The "victim" doesn't care (they are dead)
    Nobody cares. Only people with morals.

You are one sick person.
    Let's go Brandon !!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to carolina73 For This Useful Post:

Captdon (09-28-2022)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 801
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,483x in 15,899 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The amount of time it took me to type it and hit "Enter". I already knew the answer, but I wanted to see how it was stated in scientific literature. A dozen different sources immediately all stated it with the exact same language.

I didn't "cherry pick" anything.

Ah, there's your problem. You search like a child. Try "What is sound" and see what you get.

You are kind of being dishonest again. They say sound is connected to perception when used in a psychological or human physiological context. They don't define what sound actually is. For that, you need to look at the actual physics behind the generation of sound. Without that, there would be no sound to perceive.

You in fact, are the one who was "cherry picking".

I am interested in facts, You are interested only in justifying the killing of a human being in the early stages of his development.

That is what we are talking about, isn't it... terminating a human life?

Yes its a human being. I will even call it a "helpless innocent baby" if it pleases you. I don't care what name you assign to it. The fact remains that there is no subjective experience for it. There is no mind. I dont know how many more times you can ignore that problem before addressing it.
    What you refuse to address is that what you are talking about is a living human being. You want to justify killing it just because it is in an early stage of its development. YOU went through that sage. Your PARENTS went through that stage. If the world is ever unfortunate enough for you to reproduce, your children will go through that stage. It is not a THING. It is a person and you would justify killing it just because you want to.

Why do you care about a thing that cannot even care about itself? Cletus, there is no person in there.

That is EXACTLY what is in there. If you can't grasp that, there is something very, very wrong with you.

So now, you are saying if you are unaware of something, it didn't happen. If someone comes up behind you and blows your head apart with a shotgun, you would experience no pain, no suffering, no loss, or knowledge of the event.

Would that make it okay?

The rest of your post was just bull$#@! and didn't warrant the use of the time it would take to respond to it.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

Captdon (09-28-2022)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Calendar Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    Yeah, I explained to him that,by his logic, taking a baseball bat to him in his sleep would not result in harm.
    And I explained to you —more than twice— that consciousness is only one of many conditions that merit protection for a person. Few or none of the other conditions are present during pregnancy. that is why I mainly speak of sentience during abortion debates.

--Donald Trump

Speaking to the Justice Department on Dec. 27, 2020. Conversation memorialized in then-acting Deputy Attorney General Richard Donoghue’s contemporaneous notes.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Calendar Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Right, for as @Cletus explained above, the tree falling creates a sound whether anyone is there to perceive it.

Besides, society is there to perceive the taking of a life.
    Society has no standing.

And not that it matters, but the first three definitions of sound in google are consistent with my explanation. Not the cherry picked one that Cletus dug up.

--Donald Trump

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,586x in 36,517 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And I explained to you —more than twice— that consciousness is only one of many conditions that merit protection for a person. Few or none of the other conditions are present during pregnancy. that is why I mainly speak of sentience during abortion debates.
    And I explained to you that this is irrelevant. This is what? The fourth time? Lol You keep making the argument that if there is no harm then there is no problem. It's a bad argument. Harm and the perception of harm are not the same. Do better. Or don't. I don't mind reminding you that you say dumb $#@!.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Captdon (09-28-2022)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,586x in 36,517 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Society has no standing.

And not that it matters, but the first three definitions of sound in google are consistent with my explanation. Not the cherry picked one that Cletus dug up.
    Your explanation is deeply flawed. Harm and the perception of harm are not the same thing.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Captdon (09-28-2022),carolina73 (09-25-2022),Cletus (09-25-2022)

Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,531x in 55,047 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina73 View Post
    Perfect justification for killing the homeless, single illegals, old people or anyone else that will not be noticed missing.
    Indeed, the implications of such claims are monstrous and history is replete with examples.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

+ Reply to Thread