Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,580x in 26,042 Posts
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    He's an anti-American stooge. Always goes against whatever we do. Putin wants to restore the old USSR. He's made that clear.
    Yeah, I didn't think you could answer the question.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 2,009
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Common Sense's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,124x in 11,355 Posts
    Mentioned
    545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Yes, we get it... Russia bad.

Now, what is the plan? What are the objectives and how do we achieve them?
    Yes, we get it…Russia good, America bad.

Objectives? Seeing as this a defensive operation, I think the plan is to thwart the Russian invasion.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Common Sense For This Useful Post:

Captdon (09-24-2022)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common Sense View Post
    Lol…it’s amazing how you can misrepresent what I said extrapolate it into an entire narrative that I never actually said or implied. I said what I said. I didn’t say or imply any of that fiction.

Yes, I’m well aware of the history of European and American expansionism and how it’s irrelevant to the discussion.

No, the majority of countries have not remained neutral. The vast majority of countries have officially condemned Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

And again, regardless of your misrepresentation of what I said, I haven’t admitted or described this as a proxy war driven by western agendas. This war is the sole responsibility of Putin. If the west sees this as a responsibility to defend democracy and an opportunity to counter a deranged despot, I’m fine with that.

Again, it’s bizarre how you side with a tyrant like Putin.
    They have remained neutral. I gave you two examples: India and China. They are effectively funding Russia's war with their continued purchase of Russian oil and gas. Together they represent roughly 35% of the world population. Most of the world do not agree with your virulent narrative about Russia. Most of the world do not agree that Russia should be treated as a pariah or outcast.

But none of your response so far has actually described a coherent endgame or strategy inside Ukraine. Nor have you adequately addressed the profound risk that continued war poses to Ukraine itself, the country you claim to care so much about. What will it take for you to back down? Does Kiev have to be reduced to rubble before you will wake up?
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ethereal For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (09-24-2022),MisterVeritis (09-23-2022),The Xl (09-24-2022)

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 927
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    The Booman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 31,161x in 18,147 Posts
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At this point I don't think Putin knows. This has gone badly for him and he has lost the support of the Russians. He is desperate and dangerous and us portraying Zelensky as Gandi in a t-shirt that must be defended at all costs is not helping

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Objectives? Seeing as this a defensive operation, I think the plan is to thwart the Russian invasion.
    Thwart it how? The Ukrainian armed forces are being ground down into a bloody stump. Europe's economy is headed towards a severe recession. Russia has just called up an additional 300,000 reservists and threatened to use nuclear weapons. Is there any scenario that would cause you to back down? Or do you just plan to play chicken with a nuclear power and see who blinks first?
    --John Adams

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ethereal For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (09-23-2022),The Xl (09-24-2022)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, we get it…Russia good, America bad.
    By the way, comments like this prove that you are not actually debating in good faith.

I have never said that Russia was "good" or that America was "bad", whereas you absolutely have portrayed Russia as a one-dimensional bad guy. Challenging your one-dimensional narratives in no way implies that Russia is good or America is bad.
    --John Adams

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ethereal For This Useful Post:

The Xl (09-24-2022)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have remained neutral. I gave you two examples: India and China. They are effectively funding Russia's war with their continued purchase of Russian oil and gas. Together they represent roughly 35% of the world population. Most of the world do not agree with your virulent narrative about Russia. Most of the world do not agree that Russia should be treated as a pariah or outcast.

But none of your response so far has actually described a coherent endgame or strategy inside Ukraine. Nor have you adequately addressed the profound risk that continued war poses to Ukraine itself, the country you claim to care so much about. What will it take for you to back down? Does Kiev have to be reduced to rubble before you will wake up?
    China is always diplomatic, but even they have expressed concerns over the war in Ukraine. India has expressed the sanctity of sovereign nations, but is officially remaining neutral for economic reasons.

Still, the vast majority of countries have condemned Russian aggression.

At the end of the day, you’re standing with countries like China, Iran, and India and completely excusing the actions of a corrupt regime led by a tyrant. You have plenty of criticism and accusations of devious plots by the west, yet seem to paint Russia and Putin as innocent victims. It’s weird stuff.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way, comments like this prove that you are not actually debating in good faith.

I have never said that Russia was "good" or that America was "bad", whereas you absolutely have portrayed Russia as a one-dimensional bad guy. Challenging your one-dimensional narratives in no way implies that Russia is good or America is bad.
    Seriously? But when you do the same it’s legitimate? Lol…sure.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Common Sense For This Useful Post:

Captdon (09-24-2022)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When a world leader gets in front of a camera and says to the whole world "this is not a bluff", a smart person would take it seriously, especially when it concerns the possible use of nuclear weaponry. I realize that trying to avert nuclear war is considered "pro-Putin" or whatever, but I just cannot help but worry about where this is heading given the total lack of strategic vision at the heart of western foreign policy.
    --John Adams

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    China is always diplomatic, but even they have expressed concerns over the war in Ukraine. India has expressed the sanctity of sovereign nations, but is officially remaining neutral for economic reasons.

Still, the vast majority of countries have condemned Russian aggression.

At the end of the day, you’re standing with countries like China, Iran, and India and completely excusing the actions of a corrupt regime led by a tyrant. You have plenty of criticism and accusations of devious plots by the west, yet seem to paint Russia and Putin as innocent victims. It’s weird stuff.
    Yes, I'm standing with the majority of the world population. Not that it makes me right. Unlike liberals, I don't think being in the majority makes me right. But it is worth noting that the policies you support are not actually supported by the "international community", which you ignore when convenient.

And what's really weird is how you cannot explain what the endgame in Ukraine is supposed to be. I guess you just support open-ended conflict purely for its own sake.
    --John Adams

+ Reply to Thread