Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,497x in 1,841 Posts
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned Book Week

When I was young I would have liked a banned book list, something to read. Serious now I've read several of the non-fiction, literature, and drama banned books. Mom was always looking for my 'hidden' books. There may be valid reasons that young children shouldn't read many of the banned books. But many of the reasons hardly matter if they watch TV in America or go to the movies. Sex is always at the top of banned list but teenage boys knew that. Girls you'll have to speak for yourself. The hard question is how much does it matter? It may matter lots if it makes you think. Do books make bad people? I kinda doubt it, but it may depend on the person. Your thoughts.

https://bannedbooksweek.org/

https://qz.com/book-bans-are-spiking...arg-1849565948

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/b/banned-books/_/N-rtm

"The best advice I ever got was that knowledge is power and to keep reading." David Bailey

"The great artists of the world are never Puritans, and seldom even ordinarily respectable. No virtuous man 'that is, virtuous in the Y.M.C.A. sense' has ever painted a picture worth looking at, or written a symphony worth hearing, or a book worth reading." H. L. Mencken
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

2. The Following User Says Thank You to midcan5 For This Useful Post:

Cotton1 (02-05-2023)

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 196
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    LWW's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,597x in 1,881 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    When I was young I would have liked a banned book list, something to read. Serious now I've read several of the non-fiction, literature, and drama banned books. Mom was always looking for my 'hidden' books. There may be valid reasons that young children shouldn't read many of the banned books. But many of the reasons hardly matter if they watch TV in America or go to the movies. Sex is always at the top of banned list but teenage boys knew that. Girls you'll have to speak for yourself. The hard question is how much does it matter? It may matter lots if it makes you think. Do books make bad people? I kinda doubt it, but it may depend on the person. Your thoughts.

"The best advice I ever got was that knowledge is power and to keep reading." David Bailey

"The great artists of the world are never Puritans, and seldom even ordinarily respectable. No virtuous man 'that is, virtuous in the Y.M.C.A. sense' has ever painted a picture worth looking at, or written a symphony worth hearing, or a book worth reading." H. L. Mencken
    What are some of these ‘BANNED BOOKS’ you speak of?
    "Buy a man eat fish, the day, teach a man to a life time! "
    "As one computer said, if
    you're on the train and they say 'PORTAL BRIDGE' you know you better make other plans."
    - Joseph Robinette Biden -

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 530
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 24,505x in 16,031 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hey swinger. I found a book that may be of interest to you .
    It's a quick read ...very quick it has very few pages, you see

"Midcan's Guide to "Knowledge and General Coherancy "

Sad
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cotton1 For This Useful Post:

Captdon (09-24-2022),Peter1469 (09-24-2022)

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 317
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    jigglepete's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,647x in 2,190 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LWW View Post
    What are some of these ‘BANNED BOOKS’ you speak of?
    Top Banned & Challenged Books

Some awesome reads among these...

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jigglepete For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (09-24-2022),midcan5 (09-24-2022),RMNIXON (09-24-2022)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not a fan of banning books in public libraries, and I think it's counterproductive to ban them in public high schools, but I also think parents should have a collective say in the matter.

Ban a book and kids will get their hands on it. Count on it.

Will it change them? Probably not.
    Will it introduce subjects the parents don't feel the kids are ready for? Probably.

But, kids know more than parents think they do. It's unlikely there's anything in the books that they haven't already giggled about with their friends.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

midcan5 (09-24-2022)

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 839
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,088x in 12,283 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Love the Mencken quote.

Quote Originally Posted by jigglepete

Top Banned & Challenged BooksSome awesome reads among these...
    Awesome and important. Perhaps the greatest irony in any of those books being banned or challenged is the case of 'Fahrenheit 451' - a book about book-burning. So many of the others are opposed by some for "bad language" or for content that depicts or describes "inappropriate" behaviors. I remember reading 'To Kill a Mockingbird', 'Lord of the Flies' and 'Of Mice and Men' either in 8th or 9th grade, and '1984' somewhat later; all present very important ideas in a dramatic and memorable way, and of course all are classics for that reason. All four titles, in fact, are referenced in discussions and writing to the point where having read them is almost a prerequisite for being properly educated. Yet bigots and pearl-clutchers continue to oppose them for silly and unworthy reasons.

I came across a quote from Mark Twain the other day that I'd never seen, or didn't recall seeing. As he usually did, Twain put it as well as it can be put.

"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.'
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (09-24-2022),midcan5 (09-24-2022),RMNIXON (09-24-2022)

Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 2,462
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RMNIXON's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,547x in 17,986 Posts
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While this is an important issue, and I glad that libraries and school give if notice, the banned issue has taken on new meaning of late.

To begin with libraries and schools choose what they purchase and that has been the case throughout history. Labeling something as inappropriate or simply of no literary value is not Banning. Real banning would be like hounding a publisher to stop printing certain books by Dr. Seuss for example. The purpose is that you can no longer obtain them anywhere other than used books that will eventually disappear altogether.

That and a Nation State Banning Books by law of course.
    My Revenge will be Success! - Donald J Trump

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RMNIXON For This Useful Post:

Hoosier8 (09-24-2022),LWW (09-24-2022)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglepete View Post
    Top Banned & Challenged Books
    Some awesome reads among these...
    How did you read them?
    you're on the train and they say 'PORTAL BRIDGE' you know you better make other plans."

15. The Following User Says Thank You to LWW For This Useful Post:

jigglepete (09-24-2022)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMNIXON View Post
    While this is an important issue, and I glad that libraries and school give if notice, the banned issue has taken on new meaning of late.

To begin with libraries and schools choose what they purchase and that has been the case throughout history. Labeling something as inappropriate or simply of no literary value is not Banning. Real banning would be like hounding a publisher to stop printing certain books by Dr. Seuss for example. The purpose is that you can no longer obtain them anywhere other than used books that will eventually disappear altogether.

That and a Nation State Banning Books by law of course.
    Will you please cease and desist from using truth and fact against arguments based on emotion yet bereft of facts.

It riles the gizzards of the NEWSPEAK crowd .

Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 2,462
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RMNIXON's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,547x in 17,986 Posts
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LWW View Post
    Will you please cease and desist from using truth and fact against arguments based on emotion yet bereft of facts.

It riles the gizzards of the NEWSPEAK crowd .

Lets just say that the idea that Democrats and the modern PC/WOKE left are the Free Speech advocates these days is some kind of Bad Joke!
    My Revenge will be Success! - Donald J Trump

+ Reply to Thread