User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What if Russia were to use nukes on Ukraine?

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,266
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    pjohns's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,230x in 2,709 Posts
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What if Russia were to use nukes on Ukraine?

It seems doubtful that Russia will actually use nuclear weapons against Ukraine, thereby breaking a 77-year-old taboo against that sort of thing.

But what if Putin were actually do the unthinkable?

Well, retired Gen. Jack Keane--a Fox News contributor, and a very smart person, in my view--said the following today:

Ukraine would not surrender after one bombing; so the Russians would try several more.

And the Ukrainians still would not surrender.

And Russia no longer has suits for its personnel to wear, that would make them impervious to the radiation there, were they to go in.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 82.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,251x in 27,872 Posts
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pjohns View Post
    It seems doubtful that Russia will actually use nuclear weapons against Ukraine, thereby breaking a 77-year-old taboo against that sort of thing.

But what if Putin were actually do the unthinkable?

Well, retired Gen. Jack Keane--a Fox News contributor, and a very smart person, in my view--said the following today:

Ukraine would not surrender after one bombing; so the Russians would try several more.

And the Ukrainians still would not surrender.

And Russia no longer has suits for its personnel to wear, that would make them impervious to the radiation there, were they to go in.
    Tactical nuclear weapons, properly used, have almost no fallout.

Nor will they be used by themselves. They will be integrated with an offensive scheme of maneuver.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 429
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    blackjack21's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,512x in 1,395 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think Putin has thought this through very well. There are a lot of tough talkers in his inner circle. The reality is that they thought they would be able to roll over Ukraine, and they have already taken more losses in the last six months than they did in 10 years of war in Afghanistan. Throwing a reserve and conscript army at Ukraine will not likely make things any better for them. So they are making threats, probably because they are afraid their armies may eventually get overrun. This is going in to the winter too.

The primary purpose of nuclear weapons when the US developed and used them was to destroy warmaking industries. The rationale was that the US would lose one of every four bomber sorties, and the sorties rarely hit their targets. With precision weapons, the only purpose and rationale left for nuclear weapons is as a deterrent from some other faction using them. Tactical nukes just don't make sense.

I don't think Russia can win a nuclear war. Most of their capital and government apparatus are in Moscow and St. Petersburg. If you took out two US cities like Los Angeles and New York, the rest of America would continue to function. Russia isn't really a nation. It's a multi-ethnic empire. Russia would probably just dissolve if NATO had to retaliate against Moscow and St. Petersburg. That would present its own set of problems.

People behind the scenes in Russia had better start thinking about the consequences of Putin starting this war and now moving to mobilization, which is facing resistance. He's lost in one year what took 10 years in the 1980s to lose in Afghanistan. He's obviously screwed it up. He needs to cut his losses.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to blackjack21 For This Useful Post:

pjohns (09-26-2022)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,591x in 94,420 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackjack21 View Post
    I don't think Putin has thought this through very well. There are a lot of tough talkers in his inner circle. The reality is that they thought they would be able to roll over Ukraine, and they have already taken more losses in the last six months than they did in 10 years of war in Afghanistan. Throwing a reserve and conscript army at Ukraine will not likely make things any better for them. So they are making threats, probably because they are afraid their armies may eventually get overrun. This is going in to the winter too.

The primary purpose of nuclear weapons when the US developed and used them was to destroy warmaking industries. The rationale was that the US would lose one of every four bomber sorties, and the sorties rarely hit their targets. With precision weapons, the only purpose and rationale left for nuclear weapons is as a deterrent from some other faction using them. Tactical nukes just don't make sense.

I don't think Russia can win a nuclear war. Most of their capital and government apparatus are in Moscow and St. Petersburg. If you took out two US cities like Los Angeles and New York, the rest of America would continue to function. Russia isn't really a nation. It's a multi-ethnic empire. Russia would probably just dissolve if NATO had to retaliate against Moscow and St. Petersburg. That would present its own set of problems.

People behind the scenes in Russia had better start thinking about the consequences of Putin starting this war and now moving to mobilization, which is facing resistance. He's lost in one year what took 10 years in the 1980s to lose in Afghanistan. He's obviously screwed it up. He needs to cut his losses.
    It seems you think that if Russia uses a tactical nuke on a military target, NATO and the US would respond with strategic weapons. Why?
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (09-26-2022)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    This is not in keeping with what I have heard from others, who are far more expert on the matter than I am--and, presumably, far more expert than you are also.

In any case, it simply does not address the point: The Ukrainians would simply not surrender, regardless of what Russia might do--or even how much of it that it might do.

Zelenskyy has already indicated as much.

He would obviously rather see a full-fledged WWIII than to surrender--even a small amount of his territory.

And frankly, I agree with him.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    It seems you think that if Russia uses a tactical nuke on a military target, NATO and the US would respond with strategic weapons. Why?
    Although this question was not addressed to me, I believe that I can answer it.

The US (and all of NATO) would probably respond, mostly, with air strikes, which would truly decimate Russia's military.

(There might be some boots on the ground, also; but this would be, at most, a secondary consideration.)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is not in keeping with what I have heard from others, who are far more expert on the matter than I am--and, presumably, far more expert than you are also.
    You are free to believe as you wish.

Do you have a link or two I can follow to see if your experts come even close to my level of expertise?

In any case, it simply does not address the point: The Ukrainians would simply not surrender, regardless of what Russia might do--or even how much of it that it might do.

Zelenskyy has already indicated as much.
    Ukraine could be militarily defeated.

He would obviously rather see a full-fledged WWIII than to surrender--even a small amount of his territory.

And frankly, I agree with him.
    It is not up to him or to you.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The US (and all of NATO) would probably respond, mostly, with air strikes, which would truly decimate Russia's military.

(There might be some boots on the ground, also; but this would be, at most, a secondary consideration.)
    Such airstrikes would result in additional fires on the airfieds from where the strikes came.

No one else in NATO is coming.
    Last edited by MisterVeritis; 09-26-2022 at 12:47 PM.

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,591x in 94,420 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh,

What would Russia do in response to that?
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (09-27-2022)

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,820
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    The Xl's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 19,792x in 11,974 Posts
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    Oh,

What would Russia do in response to that?
    They would nuke the US and Europe, even if it meant their demise. Playing a game of chicken with a prideful, humiliated leader who is cornered is not smart.

+ Reply to Thread