Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,721x in 4,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Women's Uprising in Iran

I've been transfixed by the new revolutionary struggle being fought of the streets of Iran this last week because, honestly, it's the most inspiring women's movement I've seen take root all year! This last year has been a very disheartening year for women's rights all over the world, IMO.

Yeah yeah, we've seen several youth-led revolts of sorts in Iran since the 2009 Green struggle. What's distinctive about this one and does it have better chances of victory? To answer the second question first, no, of course it doesn't. The protests will eventually just be drowned in blood like they all are; it's just a matter of time. (You can tell what the regime's response will be in the end by their current rhetoric. The government is already blaming the protests on America (of course ), which means it will be treated as treachery to participate.) Why do I care about it then, you ask? Because this one stands out to me. The others have all been laser focused on economic concerns, like demands to address rising gas prices and calls to negotiate a rescinding of American sanctions at various junctures. This one though is a rare thing to see in the region: a feminist struggle, and not a timid one either!

The current wave of unrest, which has now spread to more than 40 cities in Iran, including the capital, Tehran, was touched off by the police killing of a by all accounts kindly 22-year-old Kurdish woman known to her family by her Kurdish name Jina, but to the larger Iranian public as Mahsa Amini, for the crime of wearing an "improper" hijab (Islamic headscarf). The authorities claim that she conveniently died of a heart attack at the re-education camp they shipped her off to and have released a carefully doctored video to "prove" their account. Her family, by contrast, says that she had no pre-existing heart condition and photos of her from the hospital show skin discoloration and bruising on her face indicative of a beating. The family wants an independent investigation conducted to determine whether she, in reality, suffered a concussion. The Iranian people seem more inclined to believe Amini's family, which has forced the regime to intervene, promising an official whitewashing investigation that will verify the account of the morality police (nope, I'm not making that up: that's the actual name of a real institution in Iran). The people don't seem to be satisfied by this, to say the least. For further context, it's worth pointing out that the regime increased penalties for hijab violations and other restrictions on women's rights in a new law just last month. (Details.)

To briefly summarize the response, Iranian women are, in strikingly large numbers, cutting their hair short and burning their hijabs in public to protest, among other things. The youth supporting them have been known to overturn cop cars and tear down pictures of the Ayatollah. In the unlikely event that you're confused as to which side is exercising disproportionate violence though, it's worth pointing out that more than 80 people have been killed in the unrest so far, just about 8 or 10 of whom were police officers, and at least 1,200 demonstrators have been arrested. And the government is imposing the biggest internet blackout in the country's history to try and stop it. So far no amount of repression and censorship is working though because the movement is still growing and spreading. Today one of Iran's main teachers' unions went on strike in support of the demonstrators, and will do so again on Wednesday.

The demonstrators and online activists involved are now calling not only for an independent investigation, but for the end of the compulsory hijab, the dismantling of the morality police, for an end to male violence and discrimination against women, and, in some cases, for the end of the Ayatollah's theocratic regime.

I know this account may come off as academic and straightforward, but honestly I'm fending off tears even writing these words right now. We all know that these things don't happen in the Middle East. They just don't. And we all know how it will end, likewise, and I think they do too deep down. And yet...

...and...

...and so many other images that will never leave my mind.

...I don't know, it just gets to me. You people know that feminism is a cause central to who I am as a person, but rarely do I see a movement that fills me so completely with every emotion under the rainbow. I...I don't have the words. They're escaping me right now. This is my life right now, doing whatever I can to promote and support these brave, BRAVE revolutionaries. That is all. And if you call that a "neocon" position, I think I'll have to crawl through this screen and re-educate you with some female violence against men!
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 09-26-2022 at 09:48 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IMPress Polly For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (09-27-2022),DGUtley (09-27-2022),FindersKeepers (09-27-2022),Javad (09-29-2022),Peter1469 (09-27-2022)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,590x in 25,145 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We should do everything we can within reason to support this movement. Where are the Elon musk Internet drone things that they used in the Ukraine? That would provide the Iranian people informational support that the world is on their side.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (09-27-2022)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someday, a movement made up of brave young Iranians will overthrow the far-right extremists that run the government, but I'm not sure this will be the movement to do it.

I am pleased to see other nations of the world denouncing Iran's leadership for its treatment of the protesters and women in general.

Women in Iran--or any fundamentalist-type situation--are little more than slaves. You can only push human beings, male or female, so far before they push back. We're seeing the women of Iran push back.

I hope they know how proud we are of their struggle to stand up for their rights. Anything we can do to help them, we should.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (09-27-2022)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,409x in 94,887 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a great movement we can insert covert operations inside of to move things inside Iran towards our interests.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 1,354
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Notable updates from today:

-Protesters are now also furious over the alleged rape of a teenage girl by a police officer as well.
    -At least 18 journalists have been arrested.
    -In some places, riot police have started using live ammunition.
    -Protesters have torched government offices in Chabahar City.
    -Students at some universities are refusing to attend classes.
    -More videos of protesters chanting "Women, life, liberty!" while women burn their hijabs have appeared on social media.
    -Several celebrities and prominent soccer players have added their voices of support to the protests, including the daughter of a former Iranian president, who was arrested for doing so.
    -Talk of a nationwide general strike is growing.
    -Protest actions in support of the Iranian women's uprising are springing up around the world, including here in the U.S. I'm participating.

Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 1,213
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Ransom's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 15,082x in 10,768 Posts
    Mentioned
    496 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In support of the Iranian women's uprising? Well, la tee f'n da. Where in God's name have you been???? The Obama Administration dropped off cash pallets to the Iranian Leadership who suppress women's rights, not to mention free speech and you Democrats sat on your asses and said nothing, in fact, praised the Obama executive action with Iran. ISIS scorched across the levant and enforced harsh civilian laws that definitely rolled over women's and civil rights and I saw no participation from the Left.

There are nations now who suppress both civil and women's rights and I've never seen a single post from any of you Leftists, indeed deafening us with your silence. These Iranian protests are in the media and suddenly everyone has a bumper sticker, the forum is alive with 'participants' for women's rights.

Indeed, the new Italian Premier, their new Prime Minister is a woman. Their first ever. Where are our champions of women's rights, where are the "women, life, liberty" participants? Are Leftists not calling this new PM a fascist as if they'd know what a fascist is? Or, are they championing the new Italian PM who is that nation's first woman elected?

Fake. Part-time. Total bullsh1t.
    Last edited by Ransom; 09-28-2022 at 08:15 AM.

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 1,354
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    In support of the Iranian women's uprising? Well, la tee f'n da. Where in God's name have you been???? The Obama Administration dropped off cash pallets to the Iranian Leadership who suppress women's rights, not to mention free speech and you Democrats sat on your asses and said nothing, in fact, praised the Obama executive action with Iran. ISIS scorched across the levant and enforced harsh civilian laws that definitely rolled over women's and civil rights and I saw no participation from the Left.

There are nations now who suppress both civil and women's rights and I've never seen a single post from any of you Leftists, indeed deafening us with your silence. These Iranian protests are in the media and suddenly everyone has a bumper sticker, the forum is alive with 'participants' for women's rights.

Indeed, the new Italian Premier, their new Prime Minister is a woman. Their first ever. Where are our champions of women's rights, where are the "women, life, liberty" participants? Are Leftists not calling this new PM a fascist as if they'd know what a fascist is? Or, are they championing the new Italian PM who is that nation's first woman elected?

Fake. Part-time. Total bullsh1t.
    If you say so, psycho.
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 09-28-2022 at 08:36 PM.

Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 1,213
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Ransom's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 15,082x in 10,768 Posts
    Mentioned
    496 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    If you say so, psycho.
    I asked where you had been, IMPress Polly. Your new bumper sticker is shiny and interesting and all....but transparent.

In fact I call bullsh1t.

And you didn't respond to my query on the first female Italian Premier, you must be ecstatic. Women, life, liberty huh?

+ Reply to Thread