User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Deli Sandwiches Taste Better Than Yours.

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 267
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,870x in 4,195 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMNIXON View Post
    Over many years I have learned some of the tricks mentioned in the article and in some cases mine are better than say Subway.

For starters fresh deli meat that is not full of preservatives makes a major difference. It costs more and won't last nearly as long so plan your use ahead of time. Cheese is not so critical, but buy the good kind like Sargento or other real cheese brands. Fresh bread is also important as well as any veggies you intend to use.

You can also make even better than subway in some instances. For example a steak sandwich with fresh top sirloin sliced thin, while Subway steak is shredded and pre-cooked then reheated so not very good. I also heat up frozen meatballs in a pan with a small amount of water, drain then then apply sauce, add onions, fresh provolone cheese on fresh bread and I swear it taste better than Subways. I suspect soaking them pre-cooked in sauce all day is not the best idea, but that is how they do it so they can dish it up quickly.
    Comparing fresh-made to Subway? REALLY???

While Subway may be better than most 'fast food' it still is not as fresh as deli or home made.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Collateral Damage For This Useful Post:

RMNIXON (10-07-2022)

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 2,269
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,049x in 8,897 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD GUY IN FLORIDA View Post
    Hamburgers and milk shakes are the same. I can use the best ground beef with various seasonings, grill it and then serve it on a fresh baked bun and it still isn't as good as one I might get from Five Guys or Red Robin.

The same with milk shakes. I own a professional grade milk shake mixer but I can never match the shakes a little soda shop down the street (Scoops) can make. Some things are just best left to the professionals I guess.
    Have you tried grinding the meat yourself, 70% meat, 30% fat or 80/20? The meat you use is important. Any meat that would make a good steak should make a good burger, so long as you include enough fat to make it juicy. Sirloin is a good choice. The reason that grinding it yourself makes a difference is that pre-ground burger meat, even if it's a good cut, which it usually isn't, is that it starts losing moisture once it's ground. So, the sooner after grinding that you make the burger, the better it will taste. I add a little steak spice. Pack your burger very loosely, thinner in the center, so you don't end up with a ball of meat when it's cooked. If you're grilling the burger, sear both sides of the burger on a very hot grill, then reduce the flame to finish cooking. If you're frying, sear both sides on high, then reduce the temperature and put a lid over the burger for a couple of minutes. If you grind the meat yourself, you can get away with a medium rare burger.

Combined with your freshly baked bun and choice of toppings, you should have a burger to rival or exceed anything you get in a burger joint.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 1,211
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RMNIXON's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,933x in 18,178 Posts
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your stores have it try the Boarshead, it is the best but pricey!

https://boarshead.com/
    My Revenge will be Success! - Donald J Trump

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RMNIXON For This Useful Post:

Chuck (10-09-2022)

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 379
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Chuck's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 859x in 617 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Have you tried grinding the meat yourself, 70% meat, 30% fat or 80/20? The meat you use is important. Any meat that would make a good steak should make a good burger, so long as you include enough fat to make it juicy. Sirloin is a good choice. The reason that grinding it yourself makes a difference is that pre-ground burger meat, even if it's a good cut, which it usually isn't, is that it starts losing moisture once it's ground. So, the sooner after grinding that you make the burger, the better it will taste. I add a little steak spice. Pack your burger very loosely, thinner in the center, so you don't end up with a ball of meat when it's cooked. If you're grilling the burger, sear both sides of the burger on a very hot grill, then reduce the flame to finish cooking. If you're frying, sear both sides on high, then reduce the temperature and put a lid over the burger for a couple of minutes. If you grind the meat yourself, you can get away with a medium rare burger.

Combined with your freshly baked bun and choice of toppings, you should have a burger to rival or exceed anything you get in a burger joint.
    If you don't leave a lot of fat in meat it just dries out and crumbles. Some people add olive oil for a binder but it doesn't work as well as real fat, same with the flavor.

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 379
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Chuck's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 859x in 617 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMNIXON View Post
    If your stores have it try the Boarshead, it is the best but pricey!

https://boarshead.com/
    I like that brand's roast beef. Tastes much better hot than cold, of course.

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 2,269
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,049x in 8,897 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    If you don't leave a lot of fat in meat it just dries out and crumbles. Some people add olive oil for a binder but it doesn't work as well as real fat, same with the flavor.
    A burger without fat is terrible both in texture and flavor. If you are going to use lean meat only, then you have to make the other kind of burger - the kind with breadcrumbs, egg, onion and spices - more like meatloaf.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Chuck (10-10-2022),FindersKeepers (10-10-2022),RMNIXON (10-09-2022)

Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 1,211
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    RMNIXON's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,933x in 18,178 Posts
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    I like that brand's roast beef. Tastes much better hot than cold, of course.
    The London Broil is the best I have had anywhere!
    My Revenge will be Success! - Donald J Trump

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RMNIXON For This Useful Post:

Chuck (10-10-2022)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,268
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Hal Jordan's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,795x in 4,453 Posts
    Mentioned
    582 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collateral Damage View Post
    Comparing fresh-made to Subway? REALLY???

While Subway may be better than most 'fast food' it still is not as fresh as deli or home made.
    Even you are giving Subway too much credit. They're not even better than most fast food. You'd be better eating a sandwich out of a dumpster than eating Subway.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
    "For all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these, 'It might have been'." John Greenleaf Whittier

"Our minds control our bodies. Our bodies control our enemies. Our enemies control jack shit by the time we're done with them." Stick

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,268
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Hal Jordan's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,795x in 4,453 Posts
    Mentioned
    582 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    Why Deli Sandwiches Taste Better Than Yours

What's your favorite sandwich? A club sandwich? Maybe a Cuban sandwich? What about a chicken sandwich or even a breakfast sandwich? No matter your preference, you've probably been disappointed by your own sandwiches versus the ones you order at a deli. Here's why, plus tips on how to make a better tasting sandwich at home (Psst, have someone else make it for you, seriously.)

Attachment 52613

https://www.eatingwell.com/article/8...er-than-yours/
    The biggest difference is the fresh sliced meat. Fresher tastes better. I don't believe them on the "made by someone else" thing. In fact, I know it's the exact opposite for me. Their attitude is definitely going to make a difference. Way back when I worked at Blimpies, some customers would wait for me to come in before they would order. I didn't put them together any differently, but I treated the customers as if they were old friends. I would talk to them, joke with them, etc. That makes a difference. You enjoy it more because you enjoyed the entire experience more.

"For all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these, 'It might have been'." John Greenleaf Whittier

"Our minds control our bodies. Our bodies control our enemies. Our enemies control jack shit by the time we're done with them." Stick

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal Jordan For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (10-10-2022)

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 267
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,870x in 4,195 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal Jordan View Post
    Even you are giving Subway too much credit. They're not even better than most fast food. You'd be better eating a sandwich out of a dumpster than eating Subway.
    I'll disagree.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Collateral Damage For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (10-10-2022)

+ Reply to Thread