Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,800x in 4,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    I worked there for 1-2 years in high school and left a few months before Basic Training. It paid for car insurance and pocket money.
    A career can be had at 'fast food joints', if one has the right mindset. Other than that, IMO it's exactly what you used it for... pocket money. People thinking they should be able to support housing, a car, groceries and items like cable tv, internet and new clothes every month on an entry job like fast food non-management, have been fed that line of bull by those who ferment anger at those who have applied themselves and moved up the ladder.

The monetary pool is unlimited, there is no 'piece of pie' (static pool) more flows your way when you increase your value in the employment market.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 428
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    OLD GUY IN FLORIDA's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,846x in 4,620 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I worked there for 1-2 years in high school and left a few months before Basic Training. It paid for car insurance and pocket money.
    I worked for Winn Dixie stores at first a bag boy and ended up as stock manager then went into the Navy. This was over a four year period. Working in a grocery store wasn't my dream job by any means but it taught me two things. First how to work, i.e. show up on time, do what was required of me and a tad more, don't argue with the boss and learn the next step up the ladder. Secondly, it taught me how to get along with people. As a teenager working in a grocery store you came into contact with a wide variety of people. As Mark Twain once said they all brought a smile to my face. Some when they came in the store and some when they left!. However, they all had one thing in common, they were customers and the only reason the company had hired me and was willing to pay me. I remember the manager of the first store I worked at would ask new hires after a week who was the most important person in the store. If you did not say "The customer" that was usually your last day.
    Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.”
    Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OLD GUY IN FLORIDA For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (11-22-2022),Peter1469 (11-22-2022)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 93.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,561x in 94,407 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collateral Damage View Post
    A career can be had at 'fast food joints', if one has the right mindset. Other than that, IMO it's exactly what you used it for... pocket money. People thinking they should be able to support housing, a car, groceries and items like cable tv, internet and new clothes every month on an entry job like fast food non-management, have been fed that line of bull by those who ferment anger at those who have applied themselves and moved up the ladder.

The monetary pool is unlimited, there is no 'piece of pie' (static pool) more flows your way when you increase your value in the employment market.
    If you want to stay, become a manager, then buy a franchise. Get enough of those and you will be McRich.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD GUY IN FLORIDA View Post
    I worked for Winn Dixie stores at first a bag boy and ended up as stock manager then went into the Navy. This was over a four year period. Working in a grocery store wasn't my dream job by any means but it taught me two things. First how to work, i.e. show up on time, do what was required of me and a tad more, don't argue with the boss and learn the next step up the ladder. Secondly, it taught me how to get along with people. As a teenager working in a grocery store you came into contact with a wide variety of people. As Mark Twain once said they all brought a smile to my face. Some when they came in the store and some when they left!. However, they all had one thing in common, they were customers and the only reason the company had hired me and was willing to pay me. I remember the manager of the first store I worked at would ask new hires after a week who was the most important person in the store. If you did not say "The customer" that was usually your last day.
    lol

That always amazed me- doing the requirements + a tad more made you a superstar. Most focus on doing just enough to not get fired.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 428
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to stay, become a manager, then buy a franchise. Get enough of those and you will be McRich.
    Not necessarily so. Most franchisees see about a 10-12% profit, and that's before considering capital investment. Unless you have a huge multi-unit grouping, that 10-12% takes a lot of personal involvement. The frustrations of staffing, supply shortages, Franchisor requirements and general operations makes for fast burnout for some.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 311
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Omar's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,521x in 4,632 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do what was required of me and a tad more
    That's certainly a different mindset than the "quiet quitting" we have now days. Also, I notice you didn't say do what was required and a LOT more. Doing that, you can actually work yourself out of a job (like if you fulfill the contracts too fast), or you can make yourself very disliked.

I remember the manager of the first store I worked at would ask new hires after a week who was the most important person in the store. If you did not say "The customer" that was usually your last day.
    Ha, I bet there are a lot of managers who would not like that answer.
    "Look into my eyes - I guarantee you - I guarantee you we are going to end fossil fuels" - Joe Biden

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Omar For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (11-22-2022)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collateral Damage View Post
    Not necessarily so. Most franchisees see about a 10-12% profit, and that's before considering capital investment. Unless you have a huge multi-unit grouping, that 10-12% takes a lot of personal involvement. The frustrations of staffing, supply shortages, Franchisor requirements and general operations makes for fast burnout for some.
    That was just what I saw in SE Louisiana when I was invested in the McD's world.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (11-23-2022)

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 428
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was just what I saw in SE Louisiana when I was invested in the McD's world.
    Been keepin' books for an MUO for 22 years..... (not McD's)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Collateral Damage For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (11-23-2022)

+ Reply to Thread