User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Finally !!! I am all grown up now at 67.

Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,118
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Retirednsmilin308's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,826x in 3,490 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally !!! I am all grown up now at 67.

In the Navy, when you exposed some of your failings, it is called " putting yourself on report". Well, that is what this post is. I am putting myself on report. Exhibited behavior tonight that FINALLY is reflecting maturity, rational thought, and adult responsibility. The inner brat in me hates it.

OK...here it is...

For the last four months, my local town has not had a gun show. Other places around Texas have, but not around here.

Finally...I saw on the schedule one being conducted only an hours drive away from me November 25, 26, and 27. I have known about it for four months and was saving my money in a blue zipped pouch to take there and see if they might have an M1 Garand. Had to sell mine to get the move-in money when we moved to AZ from SD. Miss it.

OK...four months away. Save, save, save.

Today was the day and today they were opened at 4PM and closed at 8pm. Normally gun shows are Sat & Sun, but I guess because it was black Friday, they chose to be open about 4 hours on Friday. This is pretty unusual.

Did I go there today ? NO. Will I go there tomorrow...NO. Maybe Sunday ? Who knows.

Why ?

My wife, Liz, has been plagued the last month or so, with a kidney stone that has been making here miserable. They gave her meds and it did not see to have passed, and today, she was feeling kinda sick. I was going to take her to the ER right now (1:18 in the morning), but she said let's see how she is feeling tomorrow. If bad, then I will take her to the ER and see what they will do for/to her.

So...all that money saved and in the zipped bag, but rather than be an over-age child, I need to stay home and care for her and take her to get medical help for this problem that does not seem to want to go away.

Her being the outstanding woman she is, told me to go ahead and go, but just make sure I had my phone in case her diagnosis was more serious. Not gonna do that. What kind of useless puke would i be if she had a down turn and there I am poking around at a gun show instead of being right there at her side. No way in hell will I go there while she is being seen in the ER tomorrow. I am not like that, but know some men that would.

Therefore...looks like no gun show for Dave, no M1 Garand, and no other shiny toys. Waaah, friggin' waaah.

Looks like I will just have to save the money I accumulated for another day. My wife comes first and if she is bad sick later on, I would sell them all to help her recover, if that is what is needed.

The little brat in me is crying, but it feels good to know I am NOT controlled by my lusts and hobbies.

The GUN GODS test me from time-to-time like this just to keep me humble.

I WAS able to post a couple of handguns on-line and sold both of them today, though. More $$$ in the blue zipper bag for later down the road.
    Last edited by Retirednsmilin308; 11-26-2022 at 02:36 AM.
    When it is not allowed to be questioned, it is not science, it is PROPAGANDA

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Retirednsmilin308 For This Useful Post:

donttread (11-26-2022),Red Lily (11-26-2022),RMNIXON (11-26-2022),Standing Wolf (11-26-2022)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,558x in 94,978 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would the price of an M-1 be much different at a gun show compared to online.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Retirednsmilin308 (11-28-2022)

Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,194
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Red Lily's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,347x in 3,580 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bad timing for you but I hope your wife gets better fast.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Red Lily For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 516
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    LescoBrandon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,532x in 1,663 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope your wife gets to feeling better soon!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LescoBrandon For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Street Glider's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 211x in 122 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You married up.

We have a gun show here once a year. Going four months without a gun show is nothing...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Street Glider For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 1,533
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 44,159x in 28,540 Posts
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retirednsmilin308 View Post
    In the Navy, when you exposed some of your failings, it is called " putting yourself on report". Well, that is what this post is. I am putting myself on report. Exhibited behavior tonight that FINALLY is reflecting maturity, rational thought, and adult responsibility. The inner brat in me hates it.

OK...here it is...

For the last four months, my local town has not had a gun show. Other places around Texas have, but not around here.

Finally...I saw on the schedule one being conducted only an hours drive away from me November 25, 26, and 27. I have known about it for four months and was saving my money in a blue zipped pouch to take there and see if they might have an M1 Garand. Had to sell mine to get the move-in money when we moved to AZ from SD. Miss it.

Today was the day and today they were opened at 4PM and closed at 8pm. Normally gun shows are Sat & Sun, but I guess because it was black Friday, they chose to be open about 4 hours on Friday. This is pretty unusual.

Did I go there today ? NO. Will I go there tomorrow...NO. Maybe Sunday ? Who knows.

Why ?

My wife, Liz, has been plagued the last month or so, with a kidney stone that has been making here miserable. They gave her meds and it did not see to have passed, and today, she was feeling kinda sick. I was going to take her to the ER right now (1:18 in the morning), but she said let's see how she is feeling tomorrow. If bad, then I will take her to the ER and see what they will do for/to her.

So...all that money saved and in the zipped bag, but rather than be an over-age child, I need to stay home and care for her and take her to get medical help for this problem that does not seem to want to go away.

Her being the outstanding woman she is, told me to go ahead and go, but just make sure I had my phone in case her diagnosis was more serious. Not gonna do that. What kind of useless puke would i be if she had a down turn and there I am poking around at a gun show instead of being right there at her side. No way in hell will I go there while she is being seen in the ER tomorrow. I am not like that, but know some men that would.

Therefore...looks like no gun show for Dave, no M1 Garand, and no other shiny toys. Waaah, friggin' waaah.

Looks like I will just have to save the money I accumulated for another day. My wife comes first and if she is bad sick later on, I would sell them all to help her recover, if that is what is needed.

The little brat in me is crying, but it feels good to know I am NOT controlled by my lusts and hobbies.

I WAS able to post a couple of handguns on-line and sold both of them today, though. More $$$ in the blue zipper bag for later down the road.
    I saw that they have a new ultrasonic technique that can be done in about 10 minutes in a normal doctors office that has been working very well at busting them up.
    Let's go Brandon !!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to carolina73 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 3,901
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,651x in 14,860 Posts
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retirednsmilin308 View Post

OK...here it is...

Why ?

Congrats dude. Better late than never. Best wishes to your wife with her medical issues. I hear kidney stones are awful

14. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    Would the price of an M-1 be much different at a gun show compared to online.

Much, much different. Like $1,000 cheaper.

Saturday by noon, she said she felt much better and said i could go.

I get there and find an old guy selling his CMP models for only $950 each. Good bores and 0+ measured muzzle wear.

I bought two

Also made off with a Type 14 8mm Nambu pistol for 5.

Now get this...only three aisles over some internet gun runner had their with a $1,900 price tag on it....and it was in worse shape than the two I got for $950.

Yeah...it is well worth it to go to a gun show.

There you can run into some honest people that do not use Gun Broker to set their prices.

The old guy was using his wife to process the sales and she handed you a CMP box, with a book and four en-bloc clips.

I bought 20 more clips from a guy for only $2 each. On-line they are $4 each.

On-line is where people go to throw away their money.
    Last edited by Retirednsmilin308; 11-28-2022 at 10:48 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Retirednsmilin308 For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (11-29-2022)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Street Glider View Post
    You married up.

We have a gun show here once a year. Going four months without a gun show is nothing...
    No gun shows for a year ? That would be fine with me as they lost their appeal years ago when all the " internet gun runners " took over the sport and hobby.

Now it is just a bunch of money grubbing creeps pushing their over-priced plastic junk for super inflated prices.

Five years from now they will be pushing a Ruger 10/22 for $5,000 and trying to convince everyone it is a good deal.

Before this one (she let me go at noon on Saturday ) I had not been to one in a year and a half.

I only went this time because I had the money and was looking for something specific....and found it.

Nice avatar, by-the-way.
    Last edited by Retirednsmilin308; 11-28-2022 at 10:37 PM.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    Congrats dude. Better late than never. Best wishes to your wife with her medical issues. I hear kidney stones are awful
    She has an appt for some kind of procedure this Friday. Don't now what.

When I had one it brought me to my knees, but I was able to pass it.

Hers has not passed yet.

Thank you for the well wishes.

+ Reply to Thread