Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,313x in 3,565 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting video thank you.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red Lily For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (01-05-2023),Peter1469 (12-23-2022)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,369x in 94,864 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Lily View Post
    Interesting video thank you.
    I have given up, for now, some day time talk shows- too aggerating. So I go through YouTube looking for things like this.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (12-23-2022),Red Lily (12-23-2022)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    First I heard of it. Plato said it was beyond the Pillars of Hercules. The article explains that a boat passing that way goes south towards what is Morocco today.

I thought that was a good point.

It was a good video. I kind of wish the narrator would have skipped things like drawing an Eye of Horus over the structure, but that will appeal to some.

I think the idea of the concentric circles combined with evidence of sea life in the low areas between land banks is among the best evidence. I also think the evidence of the sea washing over the Saharah is compelling. That seems clear from the satellite views. A massive tsunami of intense proportions--caused (I would think) by a tectonic plate shift.

I agree that Plato's measurements are on the small side, and likely for reasons the narrator states because it would take over a million people to attract and handle the type of merchant trade Atlantis was rumored to have.

We see copycat concentric circle formations in other ancient ruins, and I think there's more to that than we currently understand--especially when water is introduced into the rings--did it flow? Was it stagnant? Did they pump it in? Scientists recently discovered a fourth state of water-one from which energy can be created--and I find it likely that the water in the land rings served a functional purpose, such as energy creation.

I'd like to see more investigation of the structure. It's exciting!

Here's a link to a short explanation of the fourth state of water.

""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    I have given up, for now, some day time talk shows- too aggerating. So I go through YouTube looking for things like this.
    The internet has brought more information to us than anything else in history. I'm glad you found this--daytime shows likely wouldn't give this guy a chance, so before the Net, we would not know this.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The article is about the Eye of the Sahara, not Atlantis:

The eye of the Sahara — how such a bizarre formation came to be

This has got to be one of the strangest places on Earth- - but you couldn't make much of it if you were just walking by.

by Mihai Andrei
    January 17, 2023
    in Feature Post, Geology, Great Pics

A A

The Eye of the Sahara, also known as the Richat Structure, is a large, circular geological formation in the Sahara Desert of Mauritania. It spans an impressive 50 kilometers (30 miles) in diameter and is thought to have been formed by erosion and uplift.

Although it looks like an impact crater, it’s rather an example of a geological structure called a symmetrical anticline — a type of fold in rock layers that was exposed by geological processes and erosion. In addition to being a spectacular place to view with satellite imaging or even to tour locally, it’s also been studied by geologists to understand the geology of the region and overall, it’s one of the most spectacular geological formations on the planet.

A topographic reconstruction (scaled 6:1 on the vertical axis) from satellite photos. False coloring as follows: bedrock=brown, sand=yellow/white, vegetation=green, salty sediments=blue. Credit: NASA
    The Eye of the Sahara is located in a rather remote area in the Sahara, and the first people who noticed something odd about it before aerial imagery probably didn’t know just how odd it really was. That’s why the 50 km formation didn’t receive much attention until some astronauts made reports about it — but then, it became one of the planet’s most famous curiosities.

The structure is an eroded geological dome of exposed sedimentary and igneous rock on the surface that appear as concentric rings. Igneous rock is exposed inside, featuring a spectacular array of rhyolite and gabbro rocks that have undergone hydrothermal alteration, as well as a central megabreccia — a type of rock that contains large fragments, sometimes up to hundreds of meters.

As mentioned, the Eye of the Sahara is an anticline — a type of geological fold in which the layers of the rock are bent upward, like a dome-like structure. This is the opposite of a syncline — a fold in which the layers of rock are bent downward. Anticlines can be formed by tectonic processes that produce compressional forces that pushe the rock upward, or by erosion that removes the softer layers of rock, leaving behind the rougher, dome-shaped rocks.

dfgj
    h
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (01-20-2023)

Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,353x in 27,928 Posts
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Younger Dryas impact theory:

This could be the cause of the tsunami.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Younge...act_hypothesis
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MisterVeritis For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (01-20-2023),Peter1469 (01-17-2023)

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,327
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Omar's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,641x in 4,700 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMNIXON View Post
    The idea that Atlantis might have been much father back in Earths past before the world map looks like it does now is not new. The Sahara desert is a new one I suspect.
    I've heard that theory before. I recently watched a video supposing that Atlantis was wiped out during the last shifting of the Earth's poles, and what we have left is the Eye of the Sahara. It would explain why all signs of civilization were washed away, if you buy into it. Anyway, I don't know the answer, but the Eye certainly at least looks like Atlantis.
    "Look into my eyes - I guarantee you - I guarantee you we are going to end fossil fuels" - Joe Biden

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Omar For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (01-20-2023)

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 2,009
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Common Sense's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,124x in 11,355 Posts
    Mentioned
    545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We’ve seen an explosion of amateur archeology and infotainment videos on YouTube and even television over the last decade. And while much of it is entertaining, little of it is based on real scientific study.

As to the Sahara, given the fact that geologically it’s over 4 million years old, and the so called Eye of the Sahara is ancient sedimentary stone, the theory seems more than far fetched.

There’s no doubt that our geological and historical understandings are somewhat incomplete, or even partially mistaken. But theories like this should be treated as entertainment and interesting speculation, and not fact. Far too many people are buying into unfounded theories like Tartaria, ancient giants, ancient aliens crap and even flat earth. This whole narrative all over the internet, that claims shadowy groups have hidden the truth from people, has some people actually trusting YouTube over actual scientific institutions. It’s a disturbing trend.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common Sense View Post
    We’ve seen an explosion of amateur archeology and infotainment videos on YouTube and even television over the last decade. And while much of it is entertaining, little of it is based on real scientific study.

As to the Sahara, given the fact that geologically it’s over 4 million years old, and the so called Eye of the Sahara is ancient sedimentary stone, the theory seems more than far fetched.

There’s no doubt that our geological and historical understandings are somewhat incomplete, or even partially mistaken. But theories like this should be treated as entertainment and interesting speculation, and not fact. Far too many people are buying into unfounded theories like Tartaria, ancient giants, ancient aliens crap and even flat earth. This whole narrative all over the internet, that claims shadowy groups have hidden the truth from people, has some people actually trusting YouTube over actual scientific institutions. It’s a disturbing trend.
    I did put the thread in the paranormal/conspiracy thread for a reason.

Post 15 is a scientific explaination.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (01-29-2023),MisterVeritis (01-20-2023)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And here is the more common location for Atlantis:

Are the Misty Peaks of the Azores Remnants of the Legendary Atlantis?

Jutting from the deep briny mists of the mid-Atlantic, some 800 miles (1287 km) due west of Portugal, the Azores strike one as bejeweled, fern and flower-encrusted baubles in a vast expanse of blue oblivion. Largely a dormant volcanic archipelago today, to most, the region is a popular exotic getaway, but to some, these verdant islands represent the best case for a present-day fragment of the famed sunken landmass of Atlantis.

In a summary of a 2014 keynote speech given by legendary ocean explorer Thor Heyerdahl and Dr. Dominique Görlitz in Oslo, Norway, event planners state;

“In the last three years, the president of the Portuguese Association of Archaeological Research, Nuno Ribeiro, has been claiming that archeological remains of structures discovered on several Azorean islands are of pre-Portuguese origin. Together with the Portuguese archaeologist Anabela Joaquinito, he has identified dozens of similar pyramidal structures in the Madalena area of Pico Island. Artifacts were also found on site which may predate the Portuguese settlement on the island. They believe the structures may have been built according to an oriented plan, aligned with the summer solstices , which suggests they were built with an intended purpose. They also believe that the Madalena pyramidal structures are analogous to similar prehistoric structures found in Sicily, North Africa and the Canary Islands which are known to have served ritual purposes.”
    This is quite interesting in and of itself, but consider that if one takes Plato's account as detailed in Critias and Timaeus at face value, then geographically, the primary Atlantean landmass from which sprang its sprawling seaborne empire would have been situated almost directly where the modern Azores island chain currently peeks out of the deep Atlantic. That is, directly “in front of the Pillars of Hercules,” i.e., Straits of Gibraltar. Ignatius Donnelly, the U.S. Congressman and dear friend of Abraham Lincoln who wrote the iconic 1882 book Atlantis: The Antediluvian World , was among the first to note this, as were the crew of the survey ship H.M.S. Challenger, whose 1877 article in Scientific American , entitled “Glimpses of Atlantis,” stated;

While the new America was thus forming, the ancient Atlantis was no doubt sinking as well as washing away. When its final disappearance occurred remains to be determined; quite recently however, two or three lines of research seem to converge in support of the truth of the ancient story, long considered mythical, in regard to the geologically recent occurrence of that wonderful catastrophe. Archaeo-geology has sufficiently demonstrated that the memory of man runs back vastly farther than history has been willing to admit; so that there remains no inherent improbability in the story the Egyptian priests told to Solon .”
    Quite a conclusion from some of the most respected oceanographic pioneers, and one whose honest and open tone struck me as fundamentally different from the snide and condescending assessments of many mainstream discussions today, who in the ever-evolving debate surrounding Atlantis that we have thus explored, largely preclude a serious discussion of its historical or geographic reality before the conversation even begins. Yet until quite recently, historically speaking, this was not necessarily the case.

In a lighthearted Washington Post article from 1988 entitled “São Miguel, the Azores: Misty Fragments of Atlantis,” for example, travel correspondent David Yeadon flew to the Azores to meet with a local tour guide in São Miguel to catalog some choice sightseeing spots, only to find himself debating Atlantis over drinks with his host, something I can certainly relate to as this book was taking shape over the years. In the article he writes;

Most Azoreans have no doubts on the matter at all.
    ‘Of course, this is Atlantis!’ Antonio Pinero insisted.
    We sat sipping coffee and aguardiente (Azorean firewater made from the remnants of grape pressings) in an outdoor café overlooking the broad harbor at Ponta Delgada, capital of São Miguel Island and largest town in the nine-island archipelago of the Azores.
    Antonio had been a modest, soft-spoken companion during my first hours in this little outpost of Portugal, 800 miles due west of Lisbon in the North Atlantic Ocean. But about this particular subject he tolerated no ambiguity whatsoever. From inside his worn wool jacket, he pulled a much-thumbed book titled Plato's History of Atlantis.
    ‘Was Plato a wise man?’ he challenged, obviously preparing for an extended semantic foray.
    ‘Yes, he certainly was,’ he responded. ‘Now please listen to what he wrote.’
    He turned the grubby pages with solemnity.
    ‘For in those days,’ he began, ‘the Atlantis (sic) was navigable from an island situated to the west of the straits, which you call the Pillars of Hercules.’
    He paused. ‘That's Gibraltar - the way out from the Mediterranean.’
    I nodded; he nodded.
    ‘… and from it could be reached other islands and from the islands you might pass through to the opposite continent.’
    He paused again. ‘That’s America.’
    ‘Plato knew about America?’ I laughed (a little).
    Tony was not amused.
    ‘Plato knew everything. ’”
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (01-29-2023)

+ Reply to Thread