Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,574x in 3,352 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dreams and Dreaming

Okay, for years I have had no problem falling asleep at bedtime. When I say falling asleep, I mean within 2 minutes of closing my eyes. I know this because my wife wakes me at times from a dead sleep and I look at the clock thinking I have been asleep for at least an hour but the clock says two to four minutes have transpired.

As I fall asleep, I almost immediately begin having a dream. It is a very vivid, colorful dream, but sometimes I have auditory hallucinations, for lack of a better term. I am speaking with a faceless person or disembodied voice. At no time has these "dreams" been nightmarish or bad. I also take 10 to 15 minutes naps and the same thing happens then as well. If my naps run over 15 minutes, I feel like crap when I come awake, so I limited these times.

I have looked around the internet but all they really talk about is narcolepsy. I don't have that since I can stay awake all day not requiring or even wanting, at times, a daytime nap.

When this started to occur, I have kept a dream journal. And lately, I have started to train myself in lucid dreaming.

Have you experienced any of this?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Section31 For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (12-29-2022),Just AnotherPerson (12-29-2022),Peter1469 (12-30-2022)

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 2,210
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,555x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes a B1 deficiency can cause sleep disturbances.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (12-29-2022),Peter1469 (12-30-2022),Section31 (12-29-2022)

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 2,162
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,265x in 12,388 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I know that I dream a lot, but rarely do I remember the dreams in any detail. Often when I wake up I will remember the dream vividly, but only for a few seconds - then it dissipates like a mist clearing and I remember nothing. I may have a vague feeling that it was a really nice dream or a bad one, but nothing else. I've read that the part of your brain that deals with dreaming is usually not well connected with the part in charge of memory, but I'd imagine that differs in some degree from one person to the next.

When I was in the hospital and then physical rehab four years ago with bilateral pneumonia and sepsis, my brain was so scrambled that for a long time I could not distinguish dreams from memory. I would have these long, incredibly detailed dreams - some of which I can recall very well to this day - and when I woke up they felt exactly like memories. Certain themes and characters ran through all the dreams and I just accepted that they were real.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Section31 (12-29-2022)

Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 570
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Section31's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    Sometimes a B1 deficiency can cause sleep disturbances.
    I considered a vitamin deficiency but I have full blood samples taken every six months because I am diabetic. I check out every time. I've asked the doctor about any deficiencies and he always says I am within the normal range.

I forgot to include, I take a beta-blocker for high BP. Beta-blockers can cause nightmares in some people. But I don't have nightmares.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Section31 For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (12-29-2022)

Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 570
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Section31's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    I know that I dream a lot, but rarely do I remember the dreams in any detail. Often when I wake up I will remember the dream vividly, but only for a few seconds - then it dissipates like a mist clearing and I remember nothing. I may have a vague feeling that it was a really nice dream or a bad one, but nothing else. I've read that the part of your brain that deals with dreaming is usually not well connected with the part in charge of memory, but I'd imagine that differs in some degree from one person to the next.

When I was in the hospital and then physical rehab four years ago with bilateral pneumonia and sepsis, my brain was so scrambled that for a long time I could not distinguish dreams from memory. I would have these long, incredibly detailed dreams - some of which I can recall very well to this day - and when I woke up they felt exactly like memories. Certain themes and characters ran through all the dreams and I just accepted that they were real.
    Consider starting a dream journal. Record your dream as soon as you wake up. I record it into my IPhone and then type it out on my computer when I get out of bed. It might help your recall in the long run.

Any reoccurring dreams you can remember?

Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 1,565
    Overall activity: 66.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 44,145x in 28,535 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think you are that abnormal.

Power naps are recommended to be 15 minutes or less because anything past that makes you groggy when you wake up. I assume this is just because you fall into deep sleep patterns.
    I can't take naps for that reason. If I go to sleep then leave me there for 4 hours or more.

But just that fact that you are in that transitional stage probably means that your mind is still going and trying to think even if you don't want it to.

Some people never get out of that stage and sleep terribly.
    Let's go Brandon !!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to carolina73 For This Useful Post:

Section31 (12-29-2022)

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 264
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,872x in 4,196 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also fall asleep quickly, but rarely will I recall a dream. I can wake up calling out either NO or Help at the top of my lungs and scaring the spouse half to death, but I can't always explain why I called out.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Collateral Damage For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (12-29-2022),Just AnotherPerson (12-29-2022),Section31 (12-29-2022)

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 1,143
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RMNIXON's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,960x in 18,195 Posts
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I once had a great deal of lucid dreaming and fair amount of recall but less frequent as I get older. These days I don't remember much of my dreams unless I think about them right after waking.

If the dreams are not disturbing and your not being jolted awake by them I would not worry.
    My Revenge will be Success! - Donald J Trump

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RMNIXON For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (12-29-2022),Section31 (12-29-2022)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Section31 View Post
    I considered a vitamin deficiency but I have full blood samples taken every six months because I am diabetic. I check out every time. I've asked the doctor about any deficiencies and he always says I am within the normal range.

I forgot to include, I take a beta-blocker for high BP. Beta-blockers can cause nightmares in some people. But I don't have nightmares.
    Do you take diuretics? I ask because many people who are on blood pressure medications are also on diuretics or blood thinners. They say B1 deficiencies are hard to detect it takes a special test. B1 deficiencies can be caused by diuretics, eating sugar or carbs. For example someone I know takes two different bp pills plus a diuretic Hydrochlorothiazide. He also has sleep disturbances. That might not be what it is in your case, but it's worth a thought. Just in case it could be of any help here is a thread I made on the subject. https://thepoliticalforums.com/threa...-B1-deficiency
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (12-30-2022),Section31 (12-29-2022)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collateral Damage View Post
    I also fall asleep quickly, but rarely will I recall a dream. I can wake up calling out either NO or Help at the top of my lungs and scaring the spouse half to death, but I can't always explain why I called out.
    When I got this recent illness that started happening to me too. I learned about the B1 and started taking unfortified nutritional yeast and within a week the episodes stopped. I have been taking it for months now and sometimes I feel like I need a break from it. I have taken a break a few times and each time I do like clockwork the episodes come back by day 3. There are dangers in taking it though it can affect some people negatively and it can be dangerous to take with BP or diabetes medication. I did see that Dr Berg sells an all natural B1 supplement. I know you said that you take supplements though. You are knowledgeable in that area.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (12-29-2022),Section31 (12-29-2022)

+ Reply to Thread