MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,394x in 27,951 Posts
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bad things happen despite the huge numbers of people who say they believe in gods. Did god-belief prevent millions of innocent murders? Clearly it didn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by LescoBrandon View Post
    Stalin didn't believe in god. He eradicated the god-believers at a scale larger than any time in prior history. You ask if god-belief is beneficial. On the average, it seems it is, and that godless regimes have less qualms about genociding large segments of the population.
    Are your gods powerless?
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 516
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    LescoBrandon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,532x in 1,663 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    Bad things happen despite the huge numbers of people who say they believe in gods. Did god-belief prevent millions of innocent murders? Clearly it didn't.
    Are your gods powerless?
    Not at all. You wouldn't be here if he was.
    “The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.”
    H.L. Mencken

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not at all. You wouldn't be here if he was.
    I am here because something is eternal. Not because of a mythical god.

If your gods are not powerless are they evil? They do allow millions of innocent men, women, and children to be brutalized and murdered.
    Last edited by MisterVeritis; 01-01-2023 at 02:36 PM.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you gods are not powerless are they evil? They do allow millions of innocent men, women, and children to be brutalized and murdered.
    If there is no god, then nothing is really evil after all. Like the leftists, you seem to blame god for the actions of men. Pretty lousy if you ask me.
    “The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.”
    H.L. Mencken

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you gods are not powerless are they evil? They do allow millions of innocent men, women, and children to be brutalized and murdered.
    If there is no god, then nothing is really evil after all. Like the leftists, you seem to blame god for the actions of men. Pretty lousy if you ask me.
    Since you are conversing with me and not "Leftists" perhaps we could focus on the points I am making.

I think you believe your gods are kind, loving gods. Don't you?

Would a kind, loving god idly stand by while a child is brutalized and murdered? Pretty lousy god if you ask me.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since you are conversing with me and not "Leftists" perhaps we could focus on the points I am making.

I think you believe your gods are kind, loving gods. Don't you?

Would a kind, loving god idly stand by while a child is brutalized and murdered? Pretty lousy god if you ask me.
    I did address your point. You're blaming God for the acts of evil men. Should I blame you for what Obama did? That's lunacy.
    H.L. Mencken

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did address your point. You're blaming God for the acts of evil men. Should I blame you for what Obama did? That's lunacy.
    I make no claims to all power, perfect knowledge or the ability to be everywhere.

Would you standby while a child was brutalized and murdered in your presence?

Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 1,138
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RMNIXON's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,962x in 18,196 Posts
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no reasonable doubt that religion has had both personal and much larger social benefits to countless people. On the other hand there is a dark history of violence and warfare also to be considered. There is no perfect picture.

What we can say is that the last century proved violence, totalitarianism, and warfare do not require religion.
    My Revenge will be Success! - Donald J Trump

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMNIXON View Post
    There is no reasonable doubt that religion has had both personal and much larger social benefits to countless people. On the other hand there is a dark history of violence and warfare also to be considered. There is no perfect picture.

What we can say is that the last century proved violence, totalitarianism, and warfare do not require religion.
    Of course there is reasonable doubt.

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 2,257
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,050x in 8,898 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stalin didn't believe in god. He eradicated the god-believers at a scale larger than any time in prior history. You ask if god-belief is beneficial. On the average, it seems it is, and that godless regimes have less qualms about genociding large segments of the population.
    The grotesque kill numbers attributed to Stalin have been proven to be mostly false. Stalin was a horrible and brutal individual, however the number of executions carried out by his regime were just under 1 million - mostly party officials and Red Army officers, between 1937 and 1938. Many people died under the harsh conditions in gulags from cold, hunger, and exposure, but most during the collectivization famine of 1930-32 which accounted for around 6–8 million deaths. In total there were at most 10 million deaths for which his regime can be held fully or partially to blame.

Contrary to common opinion, Hitler was not an atheist. In fact he hated atheists. He abandoned the Catholic Church, but remained a life long Christian. His body count is truly epic, but putting aside the millions of deaths of all combatants and those who died because of the bombings, he is responsible for the direct murders of close to 2 million in the death camps alone, based on the Nazi's own records. This doesn't include the huge numbers who were either worked or marched to death, nor all of the people who were simply executed by the Nazis in their homes or on the streets.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread