Western Reserve National Cemetery acquires Rawiga golf course for long-term expansion need

Full disclosure: I love this place. My in-laws are here, it's about 10 minutes from my home and Pam and I regularly drive down just to walk the graves to remember the fallen. Hallowed ground.

ezgif-2-4854071c12.png

Ohio Western Reserve National Cemetery in Rittman has purchased the popular Rawiga Golf Club course directly south of the Department of Veterans Affairs facility. Cemetery Director Jesse Getz said the $1.69 million purchase of the 156-acre course secured land for future expansion of Western Reserve and also lets the golf course operate well into the future.

Transfer of the golf course took place Oct. 4, according to Medina County auditor records, adding more than 150 acres to the 273-acre Western Reserve — one of only two national cemeteries in Ohio. "It’s a win-win for the veterans and also the government, because we lease it back to the golf course,” he said. “Be it for 10 years or 20 years.” Getz said the cemetery, which opened in 2000, now has 49,503 graves and would have eventually run out of space. The cemetery is in a 10-year Phase III development, with about 30 acres available for new graves.

The 164 national cemeteries throughout the U.S. and its territories are designed primarily to honor military veterans and their families.

ezgif-2-645e934ba5.png

ezgif-2-ebed0599a0.png

Western Reserve National Cemetery in Rittman buys Rawiga golf course (beaconjournal.com)