Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,265x in 12,388 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The Afterlife of Books

Occasionally on one of my book-hunting trips to the local thrift shops I will come across what was almost certainly the collection of a true student, collector and/or aficionado of a particular subject. Someone's entire collection of books on some topic will be on display, most likely having been donated after their owner's demise by a relative who didn't share their interest. There was a shop near where I used to work that I frequented, and once a large number of books about the Civil War, and mostly from the Southern perspective, appeared there, many of them fairly new and in quite nice condition.

I was poking through the books at a Goodwill store in a fairly upscale part of Scottsdale yesterday, and it soon became obvious that somebody in the area had had a serious if not obsessive interest in Charles Dickens. There were some copies of his novels, but mostly the hoard consisted of what I'd estimate to be between 150 and 200 books about Dickens: lots of biographies, collections of his letters and speeches, academic studies of his work (some published as early as the 1840s), etc. I found it to be both impressive and sad, as someone had obviously dedicated a lot of time in amassing all of that Dickens-related material, and it had all ended up on the shelves of a thrift store.

As for me, I only wanted three of the books - books attempting to finish or solve the mystery in Dickens' unfinished story, 'The Mystery of Edwin Drood', one of them printed in the 1890s, which has long been a sort of literary game for many authors.
    “Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Captdon (01-19-2023),Collateral Damage (01-18-2023),Common Sense (01-20-2023),FindersKeepers (01-18-2023),Peter1469 (01-18-2023),RMNIXON (01-18-2023)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    Occasionally on one of my book-hunting trips to the local thrift shops I will come across what was almost certainly the collection of a true student, collector and/or aficionado of a particular subject. Someone's entire collection of books on some topic will be on display, most likely having been donated after their owner's demise by a relative who didn't share their interest. There was a shop near where I used to work that I frequented, and once a large number of books about the Civil War, and mostly from the Southern perspective, appeared there, many of them fairly new and in quite nice condition.

I was poking through the books at a Goodwill store in a fairly upscale part of Scottsdale yesterday, and it soon became obvious that somebody in the area had had a serious if not obsessive interest in Charles Dickens. There were some copies of his novels, but mostly the hoard consisted of what I'd estimate to be between 150 and 200 books about Dickens: lots of biographies, collections of his letters and speeches, academic studies of his work (some published as early as the 1840s), etc. I found it to be both impressive and sad, as someone had obviously dedicated a lot of time in amassing all of that Dickens-related material, and it had all ended up on the shelves of a thrift store.

As for me, I only wanted three of the books - books attempting to finish or solve the mystery in Dickens' unfinished story, 'The Mystery of Edwin Drood', one of them printed in the 1890s, which has long been a sort of literary game for many authors.

Great find!

I'm a sucker for old books--my most recent acquisitions being two written by Will Carleton and published in 1881 and 1887 titled Farm Festivals and Farm Legends, respectively.

Unlike most books their age--they're in pristine condition. I can only imagine they may have been stored in a cedar chest or the like.

I'd love to come across a collection of Dickens from that era. I'm envious of you.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Captdon (01-19-2023),Standing Wolf (01-18-2023)

Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 261
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,872x in 4,196 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've encountered similar groupings, and even helped box up the MIL's extensive book collection of John Grisham, Tom Clancy and the like. All hardcovers, too, in like new condition.

I have haunted used book stalls for years, in search of a book I once loaned and never got back, that was a favorite of mine. Don't even find it on the rare book sites. Of course, one cannot 'just' look and walk out of a used book store/stall. One is required to leave with at least three books.....
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Collateral Damage For This Useful Post:

Captdon (01-19-2023),Standing Wolf (01-18-2023)

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 2,162
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collateral Damage View Post
    I've encountered similar groupings, and even helped box up the MIL's extensive book collection of John Grisham, Tom Clancy and the like. All hardcovers, too, in like new condition.

I have haunted used book stalls for years, in search of a book I once loaned and never got back, that was a favorite of mine. Don't even find it on the rare book sites. Of course, one cannot 'just' look and walk out of a used book store/stall. One is required to leave with at least three books.....
    Okay, well now I have to know what book you loaned and lost (unless it's something embarrassing, of course). I've loaned and lost a few books over the years myself, and I still suffer a possessive twinge when I recall an instance of that happening.

I'm going to go back to that store shortly, because I just remembered that there was a book there about the origins of fantasy literature in America that I want to take another look at and possibly buy, unless someone has beaten me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers
    ... I'm a sucker for old books--my most recent acquisitions being two written by Will Carleton and published in 1881 and 1887 titled Farm Festivals and Farm Legends, respectively.

Unlike most books their age--they're in pristine condition. I can only imagine they may have been stored in a cedar chest or the like. ...

A few years ago I found a couple of Joseph Conrad's novels, 'Almayer's Folly' and 'The Arrow of Gold' in a St. Vincent de Paul shop for $2 each, and they were beautiful old editions from the early '30s that looked as though they just came off the bookseller's shelves ninety years ago. I'd only read a couple of things by Conrad up to that time, and since 'Almayer's Folly' was his first novel I thought I'd take the opportunity to begin reading his books in order. I always hope to find copies of his other works in similar condition in a thrift store and pick them up "on the cheap", but I usually end up having to resort to AbeBooks or eBay.
    “Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (01-19-2023)

Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 1,138
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RMNIXON's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,961x in 18,196 Posts
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I confess to have gotten lazy resorting to Amazon and Ebay for rare books over the past two decades. The thrill of finding something of my liking in a used book store has become a distant memory although many sellers are also online these days.

I can also confirm that once people die book collections often end up either at the used book store or as library donations.
    My Revenge will be Success! - Donald J Trump

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RMNIXON For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (01-19-2023),Standing Wolf (01-18-2023)

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 2,162
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMNIXON View Post
    I confess to have gotten lazy resorting to Amazon and Ebay for rare books over the past two decades. The thrill of finding something of my liking in a used book store has become a distant memory although many sellers are also online these days.

I can also confirm that once people die book collections often end up either at the used book store or as library donations.
    When I lived in California there were great second-hand bookstores everywhere. Of course that was many years ago - a lot of them might be gone now. When I moved to Phoenix thirty years ago there were still a few pretty good ones, but aside from chains like Second-Hand Books - whose selection is poor and whose prices are mostly too high - I'd be hard pressed to find one today. I remember walking into a humongous old second-hand bookstore in San Francisco in the '80s that was two stories high and had to have taken up most of a city block. The kind of place where you could spend a week and not scratch the surface.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (01-18-2023),FindersKeepers (01-19-2023),RMNIXON (01-18-2023)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, well now I have to know what book you loaned and lost (unless it's something embarrassing, of course). I've loaned and lost a few books over the years myself, and I still suffer a possessive twinge when I recall an instance of that happening.
    I'm going to go back to that store shortly, because I just remembered that there was a book there about the origins of fantasy literature in America that I want to take another look at and possibly buy, unless someone has beaten me to it.
    It's been 40 years+. It's a paperback novel called 'Fortune' or 'The Fortune' I believe. I'd know the cover if I saw it, it's 'split' where the front cover is about a 1/2 inch narrower than the inner cover, blue water, and inside gold bars on the ocean bottom. Written in the 70s or 80s.

It's about skimmers off the Florida coast, with a dedication in front to Mel Fisher. I believe the author had some connection to Fisher.

Not highly intellectual, just well written and I enjoyed it.

Most of my reading these days is novels or 'light' history. By the time I'm done with an 11 hour work day or in a vegetative state on weekends, I don't have the brain cells to absorb the more in depth books.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I lived in California there were great second-hand bookstores everywhere. Of course that was many years ago - a lot of them might be gone now. When I moved to Phoenix thirty years ago there were still a few pretty good ones, but aside from chains like Second-Hand Books - whose selection is poor and whose prices are mostly too high - I'd be hard pressed to find one today. I remember walking into a humongous old second-hand bookstore in San Francisco in the '80s that was two stories high and had to have taken up most of a city block. The kind of place where you could spend a week and not scratch the surface.
    We have a McKay's here in Knoxville, I've lived in this area 23 years and still haven't made it in the door, lol. I know it will absorb at least one day to just skim through, from what I hear. Meanwhile, I trade with a used book stall at the local flea market. Seriously used books, but every now and then, you find a good one.

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 2,257
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,050x in 8,898 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collateral Damage View Post
    It's been 40 years+. It's a paperback novel called 'Fortune' or 'The Fortune' I believe. I'd know the cover if I saw it, it's 'split' where the front cover is about a 1/2 inch narrower than the inner cover, blue water, and inside gold bars on the ocean bottom. Written in the 70s or 80s.

It's about skimmers off the Florida coast, with a dedication in front to Mel Fisher. I believe the author had some connection to Fisher.

Not highly intellectual, just well written and I enjoyed it.

Most of my reading these days is novels or 'light' history. By the time I'm done with an 11 hour work day or in a vegetative state on weekends, I don't have the brain cells to absorb the more in depth books.
    Might it be Tides of Fortune - Uncharted Waters by Steven Becker?

In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (01-19-2023)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMNIXON View Post

It's become more difficult to find real jewels in the used book stores--but I still try.

Now, I include occasional stops at thrift stores--small, locally owned are best--and I'll check out estate auctions. But, like you, I've restorted to eBay at times.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

18. The Following User Says Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (01-19-2023)

+ Reply to Thread