User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: When Secret Mystery Planes Landed At The Air Bases Where I Was Stationed

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,045x in 24,876 Posts
    Mentioned
    887 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When Secret Mystery Planes Landed At The Air Bases Where I Was Stationed

When Secret Mystery Planes Landed At The Air Bases Where I Was Stationed It may sound like fiction, but on rare occasions, ordinary air bases have extraordinary mystery visitors. It happened to me, twice.

627465a273c50.png

In the 2004 and 2005 time frame, the Global War On Terrorism was in full swing with a high ops tempo. The United States Air Force’s Air Combat Command made a routine out of keeping a bomber rotation at Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean and that’s how the author found his way there. B-1s, B-52s, and the occasional B-2 regularly made deployments there to stage for combat missions over Afghanistan.

627465d45bb0a.png

Actually a United States Naval Support Facility with a deep water port and runway capable of receiving the Space Shuttle, Diego Garcia is a part of the British Indian Ocean Territories comprising the greater Chagos Archipelago. Its extreme isolation has made it a hotbed for unsubstantiated accusations of classified and even nefarious activity. I never observed anything nefarious, but it was entertaining reading about how the tent I lived in was supposedly part of a CIA “black site” for terrorist detainees. If the Air Force’s rowdy flightline maintainers and their tent city could be considered detainees in the Global War On Terror, then an ounce of truth could be credited towards the metric ton of false information that could be found on the internet about the remote Indian Ocean outpost.

627465a273c50.png

Then, we had some interesting visitors...

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/w...=pocket-newtab
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

RMNIXON (01-25-2023)

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 2,438
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RMNIXON's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,556x in 17,992 Posts
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of these planes have limited range and need regular maintenance, so yes they have to be moved around as needed for assignments and you might get to see one!

Of course at places like Groom Lake they have blackout procedures where anyone not cleared goes inside and stays put when testing is going on.
    My Revenge will be Success! - Donald J Trump

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 2,885
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 43,664x in 28,251 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know a girl in the Navy that recently got back after what seemed like about 18 months. She just thought it was a pretty boring place to be stationed.
    But with nothing going on in Afghanistan anymore and being just before Ukraine, I guess there was not much going on when she was stationed there.
    Let's go Brandon !!!

+ Reply to Thread