Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,643x in 4,358 Posts
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    By the way, I didn't mean emotional in a negative way. If it seemed like that, I apologize. I was speaking legally not emotionally. I don't know what could happen b/c I don't know the young girl's medical history. I suppose she might not know it or might not be forthright about it if she wants birth control. Her mother might know it and might divulge it - because yes, there are medical conditions that render a young lady unable to take birth control pills.

As for @IMPress Polly's contention that the pro-life movement is all about subjugating women, she is certainly entitled to her opinion but the women that marched with me in support of the unborn as a young adult would certainly disagree with her. The women I raised would both disagree - and they are both Pharmacists.
    They're kidding only themselves then because the religious organizations that run these movements have it overtly stated in their doctrines that the proper role of a woman is that of subordination to her husband and abstinence until marriage.

I'm sorry to be rude and cold about this, but you know, I found myself pregnant at age 13 and had to navigate this same sort of question. I have no sympathy for detractors on that point. If parents had the legal rights you insist they should in my state contemporaneously, I would likely be in a VERY different position in life than I am. You'll forgive me for taking that personally.
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 02-03-2023 at 06:58 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPress Polly For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (02-03-2023)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way, I didn't mean emotional in a negative way. If it seemed like that, I apologize. I was speaking legally not emotionally. I don't know what could happen b/c I don't know the young girl's medical history. I suppose she might not know it or might not be forthright about it if she wants birth control. Her mother might know it and might divulge it - because yes, there are medical conditions that render a young lady unable to take birth control pills.

As for @IMPress Polly's contention that the pro-life movement is all about subjugating women, she is certainly entitled to her opinion but the women that marched with me in support of the unborn as a young adult would certainly disagree with her. The women I raised would both disagree - and they are both Pharmacists.

I appreciate your clarification. Thank you.

Polly and I are on the same page with this one. I acknowledge there are women who are very pro-life. That's all well and fine, it's when they support laws that take away other women's options that it becomes objectionable.

Chris started a thread a few days ago that was spot-on. It advocated helping women who were in trouble. It did not get a great reception from the crew here. That's the problem. We have a movement that would rather restrict women than help them. Historically, that type of governing always backfires.

I firmly agree with Polly that the impetus behind laws that don't allow teen girls to get birth control are based in wanting to subjugate women. Of course there are medical conditions that might preclude a female from getting birth control, but they are few and far between, and forcing all teens to seek parental approval will result in unwanted pregnancies. That's a given.

I hope the decision is overruled, but we're seeing growing problems around this issue.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (02-03-2023)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    They're kidding only themselves then because the religious organizations that run these movements have it overtly stated in their doctrines that the proper role of a woman is that of subordination to her husband and abstinence until marriage.

I'm sorry to be rude and cold about this, but you know, I found myself pregnant at age 13 and had to navigate this same sort of question. I have no sympathy for detractors on that point.

I'm so sorry that happened to you. It's difficult for me to understand how anyone could advocate withholding birth control from teens unless their parents give express permission.

The unintended consequences will be disastrous.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,804
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    I'm so sorry that happened to you. It's difficult for me to understand how anyone could advocate withholding birth control from teens unless their parents give express permission.

The unintended consequences will be disastrous.
    You think they're unintended consequences?

Anyway, I appreciate the vote of sympathy for sure.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPress Polly For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You think they're unintended consequences?

Only for the young woman. The far right has very different intentions.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,046x in 24,877 Posts
    Mentioned
    887 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sorry to be rude and cold about this, but you know, I found myself pregnant at age 13 and had to navigate this same sort of question. I have no sympathy for detractors on that point. If parents had the legal rights you insist they should in my state contemporaneously, I would likely be in a VERY different position in life than I am. You'll forgive me for taking that personally.
    I don't know what faiths preach subordination of women to their husband, though my faith does preach abstinence until marriage.

You are not being rude nor cold about this. You come at it from a different perspective - I tend to come at things legally a lot. Not on everything but a lot of things.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,804
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know what faiths preach subordination of women to their husband, though my faith does preach abstinence until marriage.

You are not being rude nor cold about this. You come at it from a different perspective - I tend to come at things legally a lot. Not on everything but a lot of things.
    I mean...the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention, how many do you want me to list here? It's like practically all of them -- all of the major branches anyway -- that at least officially advocate that line. And they do live it, at least higher up the ranks. No women priests or preachers allowed, that sorta thing, for example.

I learned what my proper role in the world was from Sunday school myself on one of the few occasions my family attended church and I'm a New Englander. It wasn't presented subtly either. I was straight-up told that a wife's duty is to obey her husband and shown the passage of scripture supporting that position. And sure enough, there it was in plain English: "Wives, submit to your husbands in everything" plain as day. Well I didn't grow up to be a Christian.

My point is just what the ultimate ambitions of the people who run these movements are and why they're proceeding to restrict access to birth control in stages now as well.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPress Polly For This Useful Post:

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    887 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean...the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention, how many do you want me to list here? It's like practically all of them -- all of the major branches anyway -- that at least officially advocate that line. And they do live it, at least higher up the ranks. No women priests or preachers allowed, that sorta thing, for example.

I learned what my proper role in the world was from Sunday school myself on one of the few occasions my family attended church and I'm a New Englander. It wasn't presented subtly either. I was straight-up told that a wife's duty is to obey her husband and shown the passage of scripture supporting that position. And sure enough, there it was in plain English: "Wives, submit to your husbands in everything" plain as day. Well I didn't grow up to be a Christian.

My point is just what the ultimate ambitions of the people who run these movements are and why they're proceeding to restrict access to birth control in stages now as well.
    The Catholic Church does not preach subordination of women to men. Period.

We cannot have women Priests because Christ picked men for the priesthood. We'd love to have women Priests. It's not our call.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,730
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    countryboy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,459x in 13,509 Posts
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Catholic Church does not preach subordination of women to men. Period.

We cannot have women Priests because Christ picked men for the priesthood. We'd love to have women Priests. It's not our call.
    Christianity in general does not preach subordination of women to men. Liberals like to cherry pick a single Bible quote, and mischaracterize it for their own purposes. Polly is smart enough to know this, and that's exactly what she's doing here. Let's not sugar coat it.
    Cutesy Time is OVER

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    887 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Nice cherry pick job, why don't you quote the whole passage? Because it doesn't support your false narrative, that's why.
    ??

+ Reply to Thread