Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,824x in 10,122 Posts
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    I'm sure you're right -- but the real question is whether ADHD is being over-diagnosed and misdiagnosed.

What is the real percentage of children diagnosed with ADHD that have a true neurodevelopmental disorder and those who are say, depressed or traumatized, or have a learning disability and are exhibiting symptoms similar to true ADHD?

Even kids with sleeping disorders can have similar symptoms. Or kids with allergies that regularly take antihistamines. So many variable.

It makes sense that if exercise and structure are recommended for those diagnosed with ADHD that experts have seen some benefit from that.

I think a number of mistakes are being made in diagnosing ADHD today. One of the biggest being teachers who have been conditioned to think an overly active child must have ADHD. A teacher is not a mental health expert, yet that's where the first concerns of ADHD often originate. Then the teacher creates a report that substantiates her belief that a child has ADHD.

Add in parents who are exasperated and who just want a little relief from parenting via a drugged kid.

So yes, you're right that ADHD is a real disorder that can be measured, but how many doctors are verifying their diagnosis via brain tests? Probably close to none. Instead, they're using self-reporting, rating scales, and questionnaires.

My feelings are that maybe one in 10 children (or even fewer) diagnosed with ADHD actually have a medical problem.

All of us know children we grew up with who would be diagnosed as ADHD today, but weren't. They bounced off walls, were disruptive in class, did not listen, could not stay on task, were easily distracted, talked excessively, interrupted, squirmed and fidgeted.

And, they're highly successful adults today.

That's not to say ADHD doesn't exist. I know it does.

But, I also feel it's vastly over-diagnosed. Before any drugs are offered, a child should be put on a diet that restricts sugar and chemical preservatives, they should eat healthy, wholesome foods, maybe supplement with Omega 3 fatty acids, be encouraged to exercise and maybe even learn to meditate.

No drugs should ever be offered until all other avenues have been exhausted. As a parent, I would run away from any doctor who was quick to diagnose ADHD and prescribe drugs.

But, that's one of our problems in today's society -- we're so quick to believe drugs are the way to solve our problems.
    So yes, you're right that ADHD is a real disorder that can be measured, but how many doctors are verifying their diagnosis via brain tests? Probably close to none. Instead, they're using self-reporting, rating scales, and questionnaires.
    Brain test? ADHD doesn't show up that way.

I have ADHD. I am on no meds. I got through by workarounds. I wasn't diagnosed until I was 55 or so. It never stopped me from doing anything.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Captdon For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (02-24-2023)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 2,123
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,448x in 11,738 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    Brain test? ADHD doesn't show up that way.

I have ADHD. I am on no meds. I got through by workarounds. I wasn't diagnosed until I was 55 or so. It never stopped me from doing anything.
    Continuous perfomance tasks, tests of executive functioning, cognitive functioning measures, memory testing, etc., are all necessary for a legitimate diagnosis. What FK is saying is that most people get screened with a self-report measure and diagnosed, which is partly correct and it is how a lot of psychiatric professionals (MDs, PAs, NPs) go about their business. But every kid with an IEP/504/IDEA/SSI has gone through testing that will confirm the diagnosis in order to get assistance... it is usually the cases diagnosed in late adolescence and adulthood that somehow don't get referred for testing often enough.

Interestingly, my university requires people to provide proof of psychological testing for accommodations related to ADHD.
    FYIWDWYTM

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Adelaide For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (02-24-2023)

Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 3,117
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,898x in 8,780 Posts
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    Totally unsurprised by this.

A natural ADHD cure- Exercise

Teen girls who exercise each day have better attention spans than their peers, a study suggests.

A University of Illinois research team found that girls who exercised less were slower and less accurate on tests that involved ignoring distracting information.

More blood flows to the brain during and after exercise - boosting executive functioning, which includes a person's attention span.

Diagnosis of behavioral issues is rife among American teens, but getting your kids off their phones and playing outside might do the trick instead of medication.

ADHD drug sales rocketed during the pandemic when many were forced to spend hours inside thanks to lockdowns, which caused ongoing Adderall shortages.

Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a chronic condition including attention difficulty, hyperactivity and impulsiveness.
    The disorder is far less likely to be diagnosed in girls compared to boys, and some women do not receive a diagnosis until adulthood.

ADHD prevalence varies greatly between the UK and US, posing questions as to whether rates are as high as diagnoses claim.

Between 2016 and 2019, 13 percent of US children aged 12-17 were diagnosed with ADHD.

In comparable nations like the UK, ADHD rates are much lower — around 4 percent of boys and 1 percent of girls.

This is combined with the more sedentary lifestyles lived by American children, which also caused the obesity crisis.

Many minors with ADHD have other conditions, including learning disorders, anxiety and depression.

Adderall is the most popular ADHD drug. Prescriptions spiked to 4.1 million in 2021, a 10 percent increase on the previous year.

But Illinois researchers may have found a more natural way to control your child's attention span.

The researchers used data from a previous trial of high school students in New South Wales, Australia, looking at differences between gender in terms of physical activity and cognition.

They used data from 418 participants, including 211 females aged between 15 and 18, who wore accelerometers on their wrist for seven days.

The device measures changes in acceleration, which researchers used to calculate the intensity of their physical activity.

Participants also took part in cognitive tasks on a computer to test their attention control and working memory, including tests that required them to ignore distracting information.

Exercise has a whole host of brain-boosting benefits. It can increase the thickness of your cerebral cortex and also encourages the brain's ability to generate new neural connections, known as neuroplasticity, which can avoid cognitive issues further down the line.

Are these one sentence paragraphs an indication of the lack of intelligence of the "journalists" and their editors? Or is it directed towards the target audience's abilities?
    As everyone of my parents generation knew, children need exercise and fresh air. As a result, as children, we were rarely indoors and since our parents encouraged independence, we were much more physically active and often a long way from home when not in school. Obesity was very rare, as was ADHD. If a child was too hyper, the solution was to wear him out with physical activity.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (02-25-2023),Peter1469 (02-24-2023)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 2,123
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,448x in 11,738 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I'm sure you're right -- but the real question is whether ADHD is being over-diagnosed and misdiagnosed.

What is the real percentage of children diagnosed with ADHD that have a true neurodevelopmental disorder and those who are say, depressed or traumatized, or have a learning disability and are exhibiting symptoms similar to true ADHD?

Even kids with sleeping disorders can have similar symptoms. Or kids with allergies that regularly take antihistamines. So many variable.

It makes sense that if exercise and structure are recommended for those diagnosed with ADHD that experts have seen some benefit from that.

I think a number of mistakes are being made in diagnosing ADHD today. One of the biggest being teachers who have been conditioned to think an overly active child must have ADHD. A teacher is not a mental health expert, yet that's where the first concerns of ADHD often originate. Then the teacher creates a report that substantiates her belief that a child has ADHD.

Add in parents who are exasperated and who just want a little relief from parenting via a drugged kid.

My feelings are that maybe one in 10 children (or even fewer) diagnosed with ADHD actually have a medical problem.

All of us know children we grew up with who would be diagnosed as ADHD today, but weren't. They bounced off walls, were disruptive in class, did not listen, could not stay on task, were easily distracted, talked excessively, interrupted, squirmed and fidgeted.

But, I also feel it's vastly over-diagnosed. Before any drugs are offered, a child should be put on a diet that restricts sugar and chemical preservatives, they should eat healthy, wholesome foods, maybe supplement with Omega 3 fatty acids, be encouraged to exercise and maybe even learn to meditate.

No drugs should ever be offered until all other avenues have been exhausted. As a parent, I would run away from any doctor who was quick to diagnose ADHD and prescribe drugs.

But, that's one of our problems in today's society -- we're so quick to believe drugs are the way to solve our problems.
    Kids with ADHD tend to be discovered after their academics and social life have taken a hit; if you took a kid for psychological testing and it came up as ADHD you would delay the treatment longer, prolong the period they will have decreased performance and social issues, to try things that are not shown to be effective? Those things are helpful, but ADHD is a specific kind of neurodevelopmental deficit and kids often fall off a cliff academically because school is not structured for how their brains work.

I'd also like to point out that some parents don't have the privilege or means to go that route. Some people live in food deserts or can't afford supplements (stimulant medication is super cheap). Parents working one or more jobs might not have time to encourage their kid to exercise. Also, testing is not always covered and charging privately for ADHD testing can range from $600 to $5000 depending on qualifications and measures (e.g., I'm beginning my career so I would start at the lower end but because I use complex neuropsychological measures I charge more than the minimum).

It's definitely over diagnosed by some (primary NPs and non-MDs that provide meds, to be honest). Psychologists and neuropsychologists are very cautious about diagnosing it because of the implications, but it is vital to get services in place quickly when it is diagnosable because the kid with ADHD is going to require accommodations to succeed in many cases.
    FYIWDWYTM

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Adelaide For This Useful Post:

Captdon (02-24-2023),FindersKeepers (02-24-2023),Peter1469 (02-24-2023)

Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    zelmo1234's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 19,817x in 14,204 Posts
    Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cure when I was young was called Play Outside

10. The Following User Says Thank You to zelmo1234 For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (02-24-2023)

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the likelihood is very high that all of the additives and preservatives in our foods is affecting the brain chemistry in some children. People eat far too much processed food.

Even back when I was a kid, parents knew that too much sugar caused some children to bounce off the walls but nevertheless some of the kids who couldn't sit still in school ate sugar laced breakfast cereals and had a whole load of sweets in their bagged lunches or went home and had some sugary treat with their lunch or pop instead of milk. When the parents are sugar addicts, the children tend to follow suit. Even foods that you wouldn't think are sugary, often contain a ton of sugar. For example, the iconic Campbell's Tomato Soup. We used to have tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches all the time. I don't recall it being all that sweet when I was a kid, but I tried it again recently and it was horribly sweet and sure enough, there was sugar added.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (02-24-2023),Peter1469 (02-24-2023)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,118x in 94,140 Posts
    Mentioned
    2547 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do think there is a new movement (very new) in Shrink-world to stop over diagnosing ADHD. And to a lesser extent, to stop using scripts as the first go to solution for many other mental problems.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (02-24-2023),FindersKeepers (02-24-2023)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2547 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    As everyone of my parents generation knew, children need exercise and fresh air. As a result, as children, we were rarely indoors and since our parents encouraged independence, we were much more physically active and often a long way from home when not in school. Obesity was very rare, as was ADHD. If a child was too hyper, the solution was to wear him out with physical activity.
    What went wrong? Can we blame the Internet and Social Media? Or is it deeper than that?
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

The Sage of Main Street (02-27-2023)

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    What went wrong? Can we blame the Internet and Social Media? Or is it deeper than that?
    Food that's full of chemicals and being indoors most of the time. Do kids even play with one another anymore, unless it's an arranged play date? Of course video games, the internet and social media haven't helped. They just provide more reasons to be inactive. The parents who want their children to get some exercise enroll them in all manner of after-school physical activities (which is not play) and wear themselves out shuttling them back and forth. It's no wonder kids are growing up to be mentally unstable or anxiety ridden. They live in controlled environments, socialize primarily via technology and their parents infantilize them by not giving them any responsibilities or independence and totally overprotect them. How are they supposed to figure out who they are when they have no independence and by the time they do, they're so scared of their own shadows and thin skinned that they need safe spaces?

Mahatma Gandhi

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (02-25-2023),Peter1469 (02-24-2023)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2547 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Food that's full of chemicals and being indoors most of the time. Do kids even play with one another anymore, unless it's an arranged play date? Of course video games, the internet and social media haven't helped. They just provide more reasons to be inactive. The parents who want their children to get some exercise enroll them in all manner of after-school physical activities (which is not play) and wear themselves out shuttling them back and forth. It's no wonder kids are growing up to be mentally unstable or anxiety ridden. They live in controlled environments, socialize primarily via technology and their parents infantilize them by not giving them any responsibilities or independence and totally overprotect them. How are they supposed to figure out who they are when they have no independence and by the time they do, they're so scared of their own shadows and thin skinned that they need safe spaces?
    I agree. Highly processed foods. And other environmental toxins.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (02-24-2023)

+ Reply to Thread