Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    I think the likelihood is very high that all of the additives and preservatives in our foods is affecting the brain chemistry in some children. People eat far too much processed food.

Even back when I was a kid, parents knew that too much sugar caused some children to bounce off the walls but nevertheless some of the kids who couldn't sit still in school ate sugar laced breakfast cereals and had a whole load of sweets in their bagged lunches or went home and had some sugary treat with their lunch or pop instead of milk. When the parents are sugar addicts, the children tend to follow suit. Even foods that you wouldn't think are sugary, often contain a ton of sugar. For example, the iconic Campbell's Tomato Soup. We used to have tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches all the time. I don't recall it being all that sweet when I was a kid, but I tried it again recently and it was horribly sweet and sure enough, there was sugar added.
    One of my childhood favorites -- grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup! That sure brings back memories. In addition to the processed white bread used for the sandwiches, the cheese was Velveeta, and as you say, the Campbell's soup was full of sugar. Seemed like I was always tired about an hour after I ate, and now I know why but I didn't then.

And, then there were the after-school snacks our mom had ready for us on the countertop. Thank goodness we were active kids. And that's with a mother who had a constant subscription to Prevention magazine and tried her best to feed us healthy food.

But today's kids aren't nearly as active and the food is just as bad. Maybe worse.

Michelle Obama had the right idea about school lunches but she took the wrong approach.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (02-24-2023)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Food that's full of chemicals and being indoors most of the time. Do kids even play with one another anymore, unless it's an arranged play date? Of course video games, the internet and social media haven't helped. They just provide more reasons to be inactive. The parents who want their children to get some exercise enroll them in all manner of after-school physical activities (which is not play) and wear themselves out shuttling them back and forth. It's no wonder kids are growing up to be mentally unstable or anxiety ridden. They live in controlled environments, socialize primarily via technology and their parents infantilize them by not giving them any responsibilities or independence and totally overprotect them. How are they supposed to figure out who they are when they have no independence and by the time they do, they're so scared of their own shadows and thin skinned that they need safe spaces?

Amen to your entire post!

Where are the children? The hazard signs of "Children at Play" are still on the streets but the children aren't out there.

If we weren't at school, doing our homework, or doing chores, we were outside--even in the Colorado wintertime. My mom read a book by some doctor who advocated fresh air, and she'd bundle us up and send us out to play. We jumped in puddles while it was raining (and thundering), and we rode our bike across the entire small town (about 7,000 pop.) up the steep hills and down.

But, the children are gone from the streets, front yards, and vacant lots these days.

We had our share of skinned knees and elbows--maybe that's what today's parents are trying to keep their children from experiencing--but we were healthy and we didn't live in front of the television.

I think it's probably hard to be parents these days--stories of children being snatched by strangers has done a number on parents' psyche and they keep their children bundled and safely out of sight.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (02-24-2023),Just AnotherPerson (02-25-2023),The Sage of Main Street (02-27-2023)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    Kids with ADHD tend to be discovered after their academics and social life have taken a hit; if you took a kid for psychological testing and it came up as ADHD you would delay the treatment longer, prolong the period they will have decreased performance and social issues, to try things that are not shown to be effective? Those things are helpful, but ADHD is a specific kind of neurodevelopmental deficit and kids often fall off a cliff academically because school is not structured for how their brains work.

I'd also like to point out that some parents don't have the privilege or means to go that route. Some people live in food deserts or can't afford supplements (stimulant medication is super cheap). Parents working one or more jobs might not have time to encourage their kid to exercise. Also, testing is not always covered and charging privately for ADHD testing can range from $600 to $5000 depending on qualifications and measures (e.g., I'm beginning my career so I would start at the lower end but because I use complex neuropsychological measures I charge more than the minimum).

It's definitely over diagnosed by some (primary NPs and non-MDs that provide meds, to be honest). Psychologists and neuropsychologists are very cautious about diagnosing it because of the implications, but it is vital to get services in place quickly when it is diagnosable because the kid with ADHD is going to require accommodations to succeed in many cases.
    I'm sure you're correct that failing to diagnose a child who truly has ADHD can be detrimental to the child's life.

I just can't help but think the push to "get services in place quickly" is what's leading to the over-diagnosing.

I think professionals should err on the side of caution when considering an ADHD diagnosis and should try treatments more in line with what a naturopath would try before resorting to medications. I think a safer way to go would be cognitive-behavioral therapies, combined with supplements, a healthy diet, and exercise.

Children who are diagnosed with ADHD face a stigma from teachers, classmates, and parents of other children. And, once they're diagnosed, the school can force the parents to continue to medicate the child, even if the parents feel the medication is detrimental. That alone should give doctors pause in diagnosing a child until they've exhausted other avenues.

I would just say trust your gut. Listen to the child. Listen to the parents. Ask more questions. And, balance all that out with the results of the neuropsychological tests.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    Brain test? ADHD doesn't show up that way.

I have ADHD. I am on no meds. I got through by workarounds. I wasn't diagnosed until I was 55 or so. It never stopped me from doing anything.

And, I think your story is more common than we know.

It's natural for human beings to create their own workarounds if something if they face some sort of challenges in their lives.

It's well known that children who face some sort of adversity can develop traits or methods of coping that help them become successful as adults.

That said, I know Adelaide is correct that some children will benefit from medical intervention.

I just think we need to give kids a chance before resorting to drugs.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Captdon (02-24-2023)

Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 3,127
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,898x in 8,780 Posts
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    Amen to your entire post!

Where are the children? The hazard signs of "Children at Play" are still on the streets but the children aren't out there.

If we weren't at school, doing our homework, or doing chores, we were outside--even in the Colorado wintertime. My mom read a book by some doctor who advocated fresh air, and she'd bundle us up and send us out to play. We jumped in puddles while it was raining (and thundering), and we rode our bike across the entire small town (about 7,000 pop.) up the steep hills and down.

But, the children are gone from the streets, front yards, and vacant lots these days.

We had our share of skinned knees and elbows--maybe that's what today's parents are trying to keep their children from experiencing--but we were healthy and we didn't live in front of the television.

I think it's probably hard to be parents these days--stories of children being snatched by strangers has done a number on parents' psyche and they keep their children bundled and safely out of sight.
    The really sad thing is, even if parents wanted to give their child the independence that we had, they'd be accused of negligent parenting. I recall reading more recent stories of mothers being so charged for allowing their children to go to parks within a block of their home, without adult supervision. It's sad. The paranoia has worked its way into the law. Now the only way you see kids playing on the street is if some mom or dad is sitting outside keeping an eye on them. You know that's not going to happen in the winter. There used to be a guy on the street who had three boys and he'd be out there playing street hockey with them and some of the other little boys in the neighborhood. Once his kids grew up there was no one to take his place. It must be so boring to be a kid today.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (02-24-2023),Peter1469 (02-24-2023),The Sage of Main Street (02-27-2023)

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 416
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,824x in 10,122 Posts
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Continuous perfomance tasks, tests of executive functioning, cognitive functioning measures, memory testing, etc., are all necessary for a legitimate diagnosis. What FK is saying is that most people get screened with a self-report measure and diagnosed, which is partly correct and it is how a lot of psychiatric professionals (MDs, PAs, NPs) go about their business. But every kid with an IEP/504/IDEA/SSI has gone through testing that will confirm the diagnosis in order to get assistance... it is usually the cases diagnosed in late adolescence and adulthood that somehow don't get referred for testing often enough.

Interestingly, my university requires people to provide proof of psychological testing for accommodations related to ADHD.
    I was mostly responding to the brain test. I don't know what that is. If it's just testing, fine.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 112
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social1000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Manny Decker's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 288x in 194 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not ADHD if exercise fixes it. ADHD is a neurodevelopmental disorder in the brain that is measurable and quantifiable. One can adapt, not reverse it.

But exercise and a schedule/structure are recommendations for those with ADHD.
    As I’m ADHD myself I read all I can about the subject, I can assure you exercise is like taking a headache tablet, eventually it wears off.
    To the unschooled ADHD is a mental disorder of such that one simply cannot easily fix. For me it’s a trial by combat every day to fit in with normal people. I’m what you call a functional professional/father/ husband

Everyday life for me is a struggle, I have no off switch, any task is an over task, I simply forget everything to accomplish it. Call it what you’d understand …tunnel vision…I take conversations and actions at face value, there is no in between.
    Unless you know someone like me, or have a family member you have no idea.
    RIP Wes

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,118x in 94,140 Posts
    Mentioned
    2547 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manny Decker View Post
    As I’m ADHD myself I read all I can about the subject, I can assure you exercise is like taking a headache tablet, eventually it wears off.
    To the unschooled ADHD is a mental disorder of such that one simply cannot easily fix. For me it’s a trial by combat every day to fit in with normal people. I’m what you call a functional professional/father/ husband

Everyday life for me is a struggle, I have no off switch, any task is an over task, I simply forget everything to accomplish it. Call it what you’d understand …tunnel vision…I take conversations and actions at face value, there is no in between.
    Unless you know someone like me, or have a family member you have no idea.
    Right. Exercise every day.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo1234 View Post
    The cure when I was young was called Play Outside
    There is no cure.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    And, I think your story is more common than we know.

It's natural for human beings to create their own workarounds if something if they face some sort of challenges in their lives.

It's well known that children who face some sort of adversity can develop traits or methods of coping that help them become successful as adults.

That said, I know Adelaide is correct that some children will benefit from medical intervention.

I just think we need to give kids a chance before resorting to drugs.
    I didn't mean to say that meds aren't helpful. It just varies by the degree of ADD. Yes, giving kids who simply think in a different way drugs to cure something is not always effective.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Captdon For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (02-27-2023)

+ Reply to Thread