User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Death of Christianity? Rebirth of Paganism?

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Death of Christianity? Rebirth of Paganism?

That's what's happening, according to French philosopher, Chantal Delsol. She doesn't think atheism will replace Christianity, because she thinks people are looking for gods. She sees paganism rising instead.

We live in interesting times.

"...she observes that we have yet to fully understand what we are living through: nothing less than the death throes of a civilization that lasted 16 centuries. This slow-motion death began with the French Revolution, she argues, which—unlike the Dutch and American revolutions—produced the first civilization that did not rest on Christian assumptions. Once Christianity faced off with modernity, Delsol says, the handwriting was on the wall."
    “We have returned to the typical situation of paganism: we have a state morality.” However, she does not believe attempts at cultural transformation by Christians will be successful. The die is cast and the wheels of ‘progress’ grind forward. Instead, she suggests, like the pagan communities that struggled to survive for centuries after the rise of Christianity, we have to find ways to live in this new society—as strangers in our homelands.
    https://europeanconservative.com/art...hantal-delsol/
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 1,723
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    zelmo1234's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,308x in 14,528 Posts
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could see this, the bible actually speaks of it

3. The Following User Says Thank You to zelmo1234 For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (02-19-2023)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 97.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,391x in 54,973 Posts
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    European thinkers on the right that I read, like Alain de Benoist (see On Being a Pagan, The Indo-Europeans) look to paganism as a way of reestablishing European identity in its roots against an Americanizing liberal influence since WWII.

I'm watching the "Vikings" series right now, the half-historical, half-fictionalized account of Ragnar Lodbrok and his legacy. One fascinating aspect of it is when Vikings with their strong gods who control their destiny confront the new-to-them Christian God. The notion of a God who dies for man's sins symbolized by the cross really puzzles them as well it might have.

The OP link seems to be a confrontation not between Christianity and Paganism but the potential rise of Paganism in the face of modernism, or postmodernism.

Keep in mind recent discussions that have shown that while Christianity seems to be in decline in the West, it's on the rise worldwide, and, moreover, Christians tend to be above the birth replacement rate of 2.1 while seculars are below it.

An interesting quote from the OP link giving the interviewer's opinion of the interviewed French philosopher, historian, and novelist Chantal Delsol:

Unlike the majority of Christian intellectuals, however, Delsol does not believe that the collapse of Christianity will necessarily be accompanied by darkness and chaos. I would argue that this depends on how one defines “darkness and chaos.” For example, Delsol does not think abortion should be banned in a non-Christian society; but in my mind, any culture—whether explicitly Christian or not—returning to the infanticide practices of paganism is already living a dark, bloody nightmare filled with obliterated children.

The 4th century has lessons for us here as well. It was the Christian condemnation of abortion and infanticide that brought about a prohibition of these practices by Emperor Valentinian in 374 AD. Even a secular conception of human rights, however, ought to recognize that abortion is unjust to all those involved, above all the unborn human whose life is being ended. Indeed, one may reasonably argue that human beings possess human rights from the beginning of their lives, which science has incontrovertibly established begins at conception. You don’t need Christian eyes to read an embryology textbook or view an ultrasound.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (02-20-2023),RMNIXON (02-19-2023)

Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,353x in 27,928 Posts
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I look to Islam as the conquering religion. We will all be slaves. Women and children hardest hit.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MisterVeritis For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 1,407
    Achievements:
    RMNIXON's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,889x in 18,152 Posts
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    I look to Islam as the conquering religion. We will all be slaves. Women and children hardest hit.
    If I were betting on future dominance that would be it. A fanatical ideology that knows no borders and is instructed to convert or enslave all others while tolerant Christianity declines along with Western Civilization.

Consider that people all over the world with many isolated for centuries develop some sort of religious belief. You can't simply dismiss that impulse as prior ignorance that will simply go away. To me that is wishful thinking.
    My Revenge will be Success! - Donald J Trump

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RMNIXON For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (02-19-2023),MisterVeritis (02-19-2023)

Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,578x in 26,040 Posts
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think Christianity and other Abrahamic religions are going to die off, but I do see pre-Abrahamic religion having a resurgence as more people try to reconnect to nature and to something resembling tribal life. I also believe that humans are being "civilized to death", as author Christopher Ryan put it, and that Christianity, Judaism, and Islam are all religions firmly steeped in the impulse to "civilize" others and universalize their value systems via centralized governments.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ethereal For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMNIXON View Post
    If I were betting on future dominance that would be it. A fanatical ideology that knows no borders and is instructed to convert or enslave all others while tolerant Christianity declines along with Western Civilization.

Consider that people all over the world with many isolated for centuries develop some sort of religious belief. You can't simply dismiss that impulse as prior ignorance that will simply go away. To me that is wishful thinking.
    In order to achieve future dominance, a religion would need to be aggressive, right?

Islam has shown itself to be aggressive, and so has Christianity, but if paganism is on the increase, I think that could weaken Europe's resolve.

The author of the OP is a devout Catholic and she may be seeing a trend others aren't ready to admit.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 1,723
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    zelmo1234's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,308x in 14,528 Posts
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    In order to achieve future dominance, a religion would need to be aggressive, right?
    Islam has shown itself to be aggressive, and so has Christianity, but if paganism is on the increase, I think that could weaken Europe's resolve.
    The author of the OP is a devout Catholic and she may be seeing a trend others aren't ready to admit.
    Some of the Pagan Religions were pretty aggressive too, I mean Human sacrifice is aggressive in my book

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,570x in 36,509 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post

What trend would that be? It can't bevthe decline of Christianity in Europe. That's been a remarked upon for decades.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,369x in 94,864 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    European thinkers on the right that I read, like Alain de Benoist (see On Being a Pagan, The Indo-Europeans) look to paganism as a way of reestablishing European identity in its roots against an Americanizing liberal influence since WWII.

I'm watching the "Vikings" series right now, the half-historical, half-fictionalized account of Ragnar Lodbrok and his legacy. One fascinating aspect of it is when Vikings with their strong gods who control their destiny confront the new-to-them Christian God. The notion of a God who dies for man's sins symbolized by the cross really puzzles them as well it might have.

The OP link seems to be a confrontation not between Christianity and Paganism but the potential rise of Paganism in the face of modernism, or postmodernism.

Keep in mind recent discussions that have shown that while Christianity seems to be in decline in the West, it's on the rise worldwide, and, moreover, Christians tend to be above the birth replacement rate of 2.1 while seculars are below it.

An interesting quote from the OP link giving the interviewer's opinion of the interviewed French philosopher, historian, and novelist Chantal Delsol:

Unlike the majority of Christian intellectuals, however, Delsol does not believe that the collapse of Christianity will necessarily be accompanied by darkness and chaos. I would argue that this depends on how one defines “darkness and chaos.” For example, Delsol does not think abortion should be banned in a non-Christian society; but in my mind, any culture—whether explicitly Christian or not—returning to the infanticide practices of paganism is already living a dark, bloody nightmare filled with obliterated children.

The 4th century has lessons for us here as well. It was the Christian condemnation of abortion and infanticide that brought about a prohibition of these practices by Emperor Valentinian in 374 AD. Even a secular conception of human rights, however, ought to recognize that abortion is unjust to all those involved, above all the unborn human whose life is being ended. Indeed, one may reasonably argue that human beings possess human rights from the beginning of their lives, which science has incontrovertibly established begins at conception. You don’t need Christian eyes to read an embryology textbook or view an ultrasound.
    And another theme of the Vikings was Ragnar's (and then others) realization that for the Viking culture to survive and spread it needed to end the cultural demand for vengeance for even minor slights within the Viking society. Can't raid and conquer weaker peoples if you have too much infighting.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Chris (02-20-2023)

+ Reply to Thread