Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,781x in 4,146 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Profession Formerly Known as Medicine

This is so painfully spot on. No longer is the patient considered as the core to medicine, but to appeasing corporate entitles...

The Profession Formerly Known As Medicine - The American Mind

Physicians comb computer printouts of molecular titers for hieratic meaning. Internists may order such tests before they even see a patient. However, only whole human beings reveal ultimate clinical truths. In atomizing patients into their tiniest components, MDs disconnect from patients and themselves. If docs spent more than five minutes per appointment and peppered their interviews with interest and caring, those pesky lumps of flesh on the exam table could sprout into actual people. What patients can reveal if given a chance would surprise clinicians and obviate hundreds of tests. Unless doctors start treating whole people, AI will displace them, and no one will know the difference.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Collateral Damage For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (02-28-2023),The Sage of Main Street (02-28-2023)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,304
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,341x in 15,822 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is interesting. I was having a similar discussion with a PA friend of mine over the weekend. The medical provider he works for was recently bought out by some much larger medical conglomerate and it became immediately the emphasis shifted from patient care to getting as many billable visits as possible. He said that before the takeover, he would see maybe 20 0r 25 patients a day. He had time to talk to them, get to know them and their history, and provide a more personal level of care. There were two PAs in the clinic daily seeing patients. After the takeover, one of the first things the new regime did was schedule only one PA and one assistant on duty at a time. Now, a typical day involves him seeing 40-50 patients a day and there is little or no time to take a more holistic approach and he ends up doing little more than treating the symptoms rather than the whole patient.

He is actually considering leaving that clinic and practicing at a smaller clinic in a nearby town where he does volunteer work every couple of weeks during his time off.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

Captdon (02-28-2023),carolina73 (02-28-2023),Collateral Damage (02-28-2023)

Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 3,117
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,898x in 8,780 Posts
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what happens when the cost of becoming a doctor becomes so excessive that most students decide to specialize, in order to pay back their student loans before they are 50. That leaves very few wanting to go into family medicine, which makes these corporate factory clinics possible. Maybe it is time for AI to take over much of the diagnostics.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,304
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,341x in 15,822 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    This is what happens when the cost of becoming a doctor becomes so excessive that most students decide to specialize, in order to pay back their student loans before they are 50. That leaves very few wanting to go into family medicine, which makes these corporate factory clinics possible. Maybe it is time for AI to take over much of the diagnostics.
    It should never be time for that. Medicine is one of the few fields in which the "human touch" is a critical component.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (02-28-2023),Peter1469 (03-01-2023)

Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 3,504
    Overall activity: 66.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 43,437x in 28,111 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always figure the doctor is the expert but when you walk in and tell you what they are going to do because of blood work and without a conversation then it time to leave. Their mind is already out of the room before you start asking a question.

Just had this happen to me, so I'm going to see if it was just a bad day or if it happens on the next appointment.
    Let's go Brandon !!!

Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 3,117
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,898x in 8,780 Posts
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    It should never be time for that. Medicine is one of the few fields in which the "human touch" is a critical component.
    That won't happen unless the cost of becoming a general practitioner becomes a lot less expensive. I don't happen to think that's going to happen because it would involve subsidizing medical school programs. So, AI is better than not being properly diagnosed.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 513
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,781x in 4,146 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    That won't happen unless the cost of becoming a general practitioner becomes a lot less expensive. I don't happen to think that's going to happen because it would involve subsidizing medical school programs. So, AI is better than not being properly diagnosed.
    I don't know about you (but your post says a lot) but being diagnosed by a non-human life form is not what medicine should be about. GP's are a starting block to filter out the basic stuff from the more complicated, specialized areas.

The 'cost' of becoming a doctor is likely in line with a number of professionals. The average annual income is in excess of $100,000 per year, and it too increases along with other professionals.

The point of what I posted though, is the detachment of the real live human doctor. I have experienced this also. They don't listen to the patient. I've noted any number of errors in reports and diagnoses on me. And some of them could have been fatal if I did not stand up for myself.

The medical industry is not there to cure the illness, it's now there to address the symptoms, preferably with pharmaceuticals.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Collateral Damage For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (02-28-2023)

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 399
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RMNIXON's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,259x in 17,854 Posts
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have destroyed the private practice with bureaucracy and insurance rules that only the incorporated doctors can afford. The long time doctor I lost under Obamacare was with a small group just to stay afloat until he retired.
    My Revenge will be Success! - Donald J Trump

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RMNIXON For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (03-01-2023),Collateral Damage (03-01-2023)

Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 178
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    The Sage of Main Street's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,249x in 1,927 Posts
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collateral Damage View Post
    This is so painfully spot on. No longer is the patient considered as the core to medicine, but to appeasing corporate entitles...
    Witch Doctors Under a Spell

Spending 8 deprived years in college working without pay is what causes med students to become GreedHead zombies. After that unnatural youth, to make up for the lost time the Educationists imposed on them, they are obsessed with making as much money as they can, as quickly as they can, any way they can.
    On the outside, trickling down on the Insiders

We won't live free until the Democrats, and their voters, live in fear.

Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 178
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    The Sage of Main Street's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,249x in 1,927 Posts
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMNIXON View Post
    We have destroyed the private practice with bureaucracy and insurance rules that only the incorporated doctors can afford. The long time doctor I lost under Obamacare was with a small group just to stay afloat until he retired.
    Captive American Minds Will Never Learn About Learning

Unpaid education produces incompetents. That's why malpractice insurance skyrockets.
    On the outside, trickling down on the Insiders

We won't live free until the Democrats, and their voters, live in fear.

+ Reply to Thread