Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,554x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Red Lily That's wonderful.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Red Lily (03-11-2023)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    That looks neat. That would be perfect for the square foot gardening technique.
    I have never heard of the sq ft gardening technique before. I will look it up. By the way I loved your trail cam pics, can't believe I missed those. I was wondering if you had gotten any more captures so I visited your thread.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

countryboy (03-11-2023)

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 733
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,515x in 14,777 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Lily View Post
    You can buy these raised Vegepods quite cheaply but you could also make them yourself if you're so inclined.

No bending or getting on the ground. I love it

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (03-22-2023),Just AnotherPerson (03-12-2023),Red Lily (03-11-2023)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 76,962x in 55,590 Posts
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Tunnel o' beans. That would make harvesting fun and easy.
    That’s what I’m counting on.
    When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.“ - Benjamin Franklin.

“When people get used to preferential treatment equal treatment seems like discrimination.” - Thomas Sowell

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tahuyaman For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (03-12-2023)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    I’m going to build these trellises out of cattle fence panels for beans and peas.

Attachment 55514
    I just put up three of these cattle fence trellises. Beans on two of them and peas and pickling cucumbers on the other. Down the center on the ground I’ll put tomatoes under one and beets and turnips under the others.
    When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.“ - Benjamin Franklin.

“When people get used to preferential treatment equal treatment seems like discrimination.” - Thomas Sowell

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tahuyaman For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (03-22-2023),Just AnotherPerson (03-21-2023)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just put up three of these cattle fence trellises. Beans on two of them and peas and pickling cucumbers on the other. Down the center on the ground I’ll put tomatoes under one and beets and turnips under the others.
    It sounds amazing. I hope they turn out wonderfully.

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 2,882
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,929x in 8,807 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When your climbers really get going, there won't be much sunlight under the trellises. Tomatoes need lots of sun. You should only plant lettuce and other leaf crops that would appreciate the filtered sunlight, under the trellis. You can grow your tomatoes on the outside of the trellis. You just have to anchor them to the trellis as they grow.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (03-22-2023)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    When your climbers really get going, there won't be much sunlight under the trellises. Tomatoes need lots of sun. You should only plant lettuce and other leaf crops that would appreciate the filtered sunlight, under the trellis. You can grow your tomatoes on the outside of the trellis. You just have to anchor them to the trellis as they grow.
    I’m putting the tomatoes under the trelliss with the peas. They won’t climb as heavily as the beans. They will get plenty of sun.

I’m also growing tomatoes outside of the trellises.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only downside to the cattle panels is that they are galvanized and that contains zinc, lead and cadmium. They say it's safe to use for plants, but galvanized products for water can be toxic because those metals will get into the water. I imagine it can be the same regarding plants since they uptake water. Lots of people use the galvanized stuff for gardening, even for raised garden beds. In my opinion the article below contradicts itself in this way, but maybe I'm wrong.

Lead and cadmium:

"The zinc in the galvanized steel also contains lead and cadmium metals. These metals are added to the galvanized steel during the manufacturing process.

So, these metals will get mixed in the water if you use galvanized steel in the water pipe. So, the water can be poisonous for use of galvanized steel.

Deposits of galvanized steel:

If you use galvanized steel for food storage, cooking, or water container, the deposits will release in the food and water. This will cause poisoning in humans and animals.

Is it safe to grow vegetables in galvanized steel?

Yes, it is safe to grow vegetables in galvanized steel. Galvanized steel is safe to use for gardening.

Generally, galvanized steel contains zinc metal. Zinc is a natural constitute of soil. Moreover, zinc is pretty essential for the growth of plants. So, if you grow vegetable plants in the galvanized steel, the zinc in galvanized steel will not do any harm to the plants.

Moreover, if the zinc is released from the container of vegetable plants, it will be helpful. Moreover, zinc has little or no effect on vegetable plants. So, using galvanized steel for growing vegetables is safe".

https://onehappylemon.com/is-galvanized-steel-toxic/

https://galvanizeit.org/knowledgebas...lvanizing-bath
    Last edited by Just AnotherPerson; 03-22-2023 at 10:32 AM.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    The only downside to the cattle panels is that they are galvanized and that contains zinc, lead and cadmium. They say it's safe to use for plants, but galvanized products for water can be toxic because those metals will get into the water. I imagine it can be the same regarding plants since they uptake water. Lots of people use the galvanized stuff for gardening, even for raised garden beds. In my opinion the article below contradicts itself in this way, but maybe I'm wrong.

Lead and cadmium:

"The zinc in the galvanized steel also contains lead and cadmium metals. These metals are added to the galvanized steel during the manufacturing process.

So, these metals will get mixed in the water if you use galvanized steel in the water pipe. So, the water can be poisonous for use of galvanized steel.
    Deposits of galvanized steel:

If you use galvanized steel for food storage, cooking, or water container, the deposits will release in the food and water. This will cause poisoning in humans and animals.

Is it safe to grow vegetables in galvanized steel?

Yes, it is safe to grow vegetables in galvanized steel. Galvanized steel is safe to use for gardening.

Generally, galvanized steel contains zinc metal. Zinc is a natural constitute of soil. Moreover, zinc is pretty essential for the growth of plants. So, if you grow vegetable plants in the galvanized steel, the zinc in galvanized steel will not do any harm to the plants.

Moreover, if the zinc is released from the container of vegetable plants, it will be helpful. Moreover, zinc has little or no effect on vegetable plants. So, using galvanized steel for growing vegetables is safe".

https://onehappylemon.com/is-galvanized-steel-toxic/
    I’ve been using this type of fence panel for several years. I haven’t experienced or heard of any issues. I’ve also been using galvanized steel tomato cages for several years.

This is just the first time I’ve used large panels to create these trellises. I’m not concerned about any residual health issues.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Tahuyaman For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (03-22-2023)

+ Reply to Thread