Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,593x in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    The lettuce around here goes bad before the expiration date. So, I have never seen the lettuce thing. Or any produce for that matter. I always think how maddening it must be to be a grocer trying to rotate this stuff.
    I haven't seen it much in produce but Milk, seriously i have had milk that i just didn't use and we are talking a solid month after buying it and it still smells fine. I of course dumped it but yeah i was kind of shocked it didn't turn into cottage cheese at that point lol.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigdog For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (03-16-2023)

Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 305
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    jigglepete's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,654x in 2,195 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collateral Damage View Post
    I grow lettuce in season, but can't use it as fast as it grows. I found if I keep the Romaine id a large cup with a bit of water in it, in the refrigerator, the head will last longer than if I wrap it up in a paper towel and put it in the crisper.
    If you grow your lettuce hydroponically, especially in an NFT (Nutrient Film Technique) system, you can just pull the lettuce heads out of the system, roots and all, then put it in a glass of water right on the kitchen table and harvest the outer leaves as necessary, they will continue to grow as you eat them

*you could probably just rinse the soil off the root ball as well, but the root ball might get too large for the cup unless you harvest the heads early...

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jigglepete For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (03-16-2023),Just AnotherPerson (03-16-2023),Peter1469 (03-17-2023),Red Lily (03-16-2023)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collateral Damage View Post
    There are a number of companies that 'act' as seed vaults, and propagate old heirloom varieties for seeding. Svalbard, IIRC, is kind of the 'mothership'.
    I read about it when it first opened, kind of lost track of it over the years, I'm just happy it's still rockin'. The concept comforts me.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jigglepete For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (03-16-2023),Just AnotherPerson (03-16-2023)

Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 178
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    The Sage of Main Street's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,249x in 1,927 Posts
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    Ours does too. I think it must have something to do with where the grocer sources the produce. I think some newer, hybrid varieties are bred to last longer.

And, if a plant is "Roundup-ready," that just means we can treat an entire field of plants with glysophate and it will kill the weeds but not the crop.

I think saving heirloom seeds is a good idea, but most of the foods we eat today come from crops that are not organic or have been altered in some way.
    Nature Is a Crime Against Humanity.

It is primitive and superstitious to believe that Nature has been designed for our benefit. People are led to believe, therefore, that adding to it or changing it in any way is a sacrilege that will bring on dire punishment. But even the Bible implies that Nature is Satan's world. Why wouldn't it be when Adam and Eve were cast out into it for obeying the Devil?
    On the outside, trickling down on the Insiders

We won't live free until the Democrats, and their voters, live in fear.

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,555x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    Well, the neodymium magnet I just tried didn't stick to me, but we know most humans have traces of the chemicals used in early nonstick pans in their blood now. Probably many other substances as well.

We do have people that advocate reducing our population--and while we can always hope they mean through offering better birth control--I don't think we can afford to rule out the ones who would reduce the population in more nefarious ways.

If these groups were to target any specific sector, I think they'd try to target those living in poverty--and the elderly. To me, that would mean (and this is all just speculation) that they'd put chemicals in foods they felt were more likely to be consumed by the poor, such as cheap, highly processed foods. Maybe substances that lead to infertility?
    I definitely agree.

I had watched a few vids back then of people saying they were magnetic and sticking stuff to themselves, lol. Many of them were putting the magnets and metal objects on certain spots. One was the collar bone and the other was the back of the arm where some say they had the shot or behind the shoulder where the arm joint connects. I wasn't magnetic on like my arm but I tried the magnet out on where the people in the vids were doing it and that is when it worked. I was surprised, I thought they were full of it actually, and I tried it for fun. I still wasn't sure what to make of it though. I only remembered it again when I did some research on the nano tech they are putting in our food, it just made me think a little.

I agree if they were going to target a sector it would be the unhealthy people, poor people, and the elderly. It is 100% for sure that they are putting substances in our food and products that lead to infertility and death. That part is not a conspiracy, what's a conspiracy is whether they are doing it on purpose.

I think that it affects both the poor and middle class. Except for those who can afford to eat organic everything, and buy natural everything. But even those natural products often have deadly chems in them like sodium benzoate and so on. It is just marketed as natural. We know that organic food only has to be a small percent organic, and now we know it can even have nano tech in it.

I think that they put this stuff in everything and the unhealthy will succumb before everyone else. But those who can afford to buy stuff with less chems will be far better off. I think maybe that's the plan, take out those who might become or are a burden to society. I have studied enough to think that it's not an accident that so many deadly chems are approved by the FDA. At this point it really seems deliberate to me.

But those who are down to earth and grow their own food, will be the true wealthy among us. They can eat food grown the right way without all the poisons.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (03-16-2023),Peter1469 (03-17-2023)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    The lettuce around here goes bad before the expiration date. So, I have never seen the lettuce thing. Or any produce for that matter. I always think how maddening it must be to be a grocer trying to rotate this stuff.
    That's an awesome thing.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

countryboy (03-16-2023)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMNIXON View Post
    I can make a good solid head of lettuce last a week or more. But it is so damn expensive now and not the quality it once was around here so I go without.

When I was a teenager I worked in a deli and we used to chop the lettuce and put it in a container with fresh water, and change the water out everyday, keeping it refrigerated. It keeps the lettuce really crisp. I don't do it anymore because I mostly eat it before it can go bad. I don't know how you can go without lettuce. For me I feel like I might croak if I don't have lettuce. : ) It is one of my staples for sure. Hopefully you will get a greenhouse up and running and have more than you can eat.
    Last edited by Just AnotherPerson; 03-16-2023 at 04:28 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (03-17-2023),jigglepete (03-16-2023)

Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 755
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Red Lily's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,081x in 3,442 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglepete View Post
    If you grow your lettuce hydroponically, especially in an NFT (Nutrient Film Technique) system, you can just pull the lettuce heads out of the system, roots and all, then put it in a glass of water right on the kitchen table and harvest the outer leaves as necessary, they will continue to grow as you eat them

*you could probably just rinse the soil off the root ball as well, but the root ball might get too large for the cup unless you harvest the heads early...
    If you don't have a hydroponic setup you can also just grow it in pots and pull off the outer leaves as you want them.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Red Lily For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (03-17-2023),jigglepete (03-16-2023),Just AnotherPerson (03-16-2023)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Lily View Post
    If you don't have a hydroponic setup you can also just grow it in pots and pull off the outer leaves as you want them.
    Cut and come again FTW!

I only mentioned that method for laziness' sake. I mean, who wants to walk all the way outside every evening for a salad LOL

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jigglepete For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (03-17-2023),Just AnotherPerson (03-16-2023),Red Lily (03-16-2023)

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 422
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,804x in 4,161 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglepete View Post

Interesting. I don't do hydroponic at this time, though it may become an option. I'll give the root-ball-and-all thought a try. I do love fresh lettuce with most everything.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Collateral Damage For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (03-17-2023)

+ Reply to Thread