Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,554x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toxic chems in TP & human waste as fertilizer

"All toilet paper from across the globe checked for toxic PFAS “forever chemicals” contained the compounds, and the waste flushed down toilets and sent to sewage treatment plants probably creates a significant source of water pollution, new research has found.

Once in the wastewater plant, the chemicals can be packed in sewage sludge that is eventually spread on cropland as fertilizer, or spilt into waterways".
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/mar/13/toxic-forever-chemicals-pfas-toilet-paper

Something that stands out to me in this article is the little bit about human sewage being used on crops, wait, what?

"Human Sewage Sludge in Compost? It’s Really a Thing (and BEWARE)

If you don’t want to wind up with shampoo chemicals in your garden tomatoes, this information is for you. Now, I get it. When you swing by your local home improvement store for bagged fertilizer for your lawn or garden, the last thing you’re probably thinking about is toxic compounds. But there’s something you need to know. Human sewage sludge in compost is common and often marketed as “organic” despite chemicals sneaking into the mix.

This “sludge” is the biosolid product leftover in wastewater treatment plants. In theory, using human waste as a nitrogen-rich, natural fertilizer seems logical, but it’s not that simple today. Why? Think of all of the things that go down the drain and into wastewater plants: everything from shampoo and antibacterial soap chemicals to medication residues and more. And it’s not just what’s drain-bound from U.S. homes, either. Waste from mortuaries, hospitals, industry and businesses also winds up in wastewater treatment plants and often in the leftover sludge, too".
    https://draxe.com/health/human-sewag...ge-in-compost/
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (03-20-2023),FindersKeepers (03-20-2023),Mini Me (03-20-2023),Red Lily (03-20-2023)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "While the water is cleaned and discharged, the remaining toxic sewage sludge stays at the treatment plant, and it’s what Sierra Club environmentalist Nancy Raine calls “the most pollutant-rich manmade substance on Earth”.

This “biosolid” sludge is expensive to dispose of because it must be landfilled, but the waste management industry is increasingly using a money-making alternative – repackaging the sludge as fertilizer and injecting it into the nation’s food chain.

Now the practice is behind a growing number of public health problems. Spreading pollutant-filled biosolids on farmland is making people sick, contaminating drinking water and filling crops, livestock and humans with everything from pharmaceuticals to PFAS.

As more biosolid-linked crises develop, some farmers and environmentalists are calling for a ban on the practice.

In 2019, about 60% of sewage sludge produced by treatment facilities will be spread on farmland and gardens, as well as schoolyards and lawns. Sludge holds nitrogen, phosphorus and other nutrients that help crops grow, so the waste management industry lightly treats it and sells it cheaply to farmers who view it as a cost-saving product.

But in fact the excrement from which sludge derives has mixed with any number of 80,000 manmade chemicals that are discharged from industry’s pipes or otherwise pumped into the sewer system. By the time the mix lands in treatment plants, it can teem with pharmaceuticals, hormones, pathogens, bacteria, viruses, protozoa and parasitic worms, as well as heavy metals like lead, cadmium, arsenic or mercury. It often includes PCBs, PFAS, dioxins, BPAs and dozens of other harmful substances ranging from flame retardants to hospital waste".

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...cals-pollution
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (03-20-2023),Cotton1 (03-20-2023)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So here we have it, we got toxic chems used as fertilizers on our food, then we have human waste that has chemicals and pharmaceuticals, then we also have nano tech. No wonder so many people are sick.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (03-20-2023)

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 2,925
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 43,649x in 28,239 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As disgusting as it sounds, we don't think twice about cow and horse manure being used.

The old terraced farm systems often had the the pigs and other animals raised on the upper tiers so the rains washed the manure down to the plants on lower levels.
    Let's go Brandon !!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to carolina73 For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (03-20-2023)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    "All toilet paper from across the globe checked for toxic PFAS “forever chemicals” contained the compounds, and the waste flushed down toilets and sent to sewage treatment plants probably creates a significant source of water pollution, new research has found.

Once in the wastewater plant, the chemicals can be packed in sewage sludge that is eventually spread on cropland as fertilizer, or spilt into waterways".
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/mar/13/toxic-forever-chemicals-pfas-toilet-paper

Something that stands out to me in this article is the little bit about human sewage being used on crops, wait, what?

"Human Sewage Sludge in Compost? It’s Really a Thing (and BEWARE)

If you don’t want to wind up with shampoo chemicals in your garden tomatoes, this information is for you. Now, I get it. When you swing by your local home improvement store for bagged fertilizer for your lawn or garden, the last thing you’re probably thinking about is toxic compounds. But there’s something you need to know. Human sewage sludge in compost is common and often marketed as “organic” despite chemicals sneaking into the mix.

This “sludge” is the biosolid product leftover in wastewater treatment plants. In theory, using human waste as a nitrogen-rich, natural fertilizer seems logical, but it’s not that simple today. Why? Think of all of the things that go down the drain and into wastewater plants: everything from shampoo and antibacterial soap chemicals to medication residues and more. And it’s not just what’s drain-bound from U.S. homes, either. Waste from mortuaries, hospitals, industry and businesses also winds up in wastewater treatment plants and often in the leftover sludge, too".
    https://draxe.com/health/human-sewag...ge-in-compost/

Whoa!!!

Seriously?

Isn't that like tossing dog $#@! into the compost pile? We were always told not to do that because dogs ate meat, which made their poo not suitable for the compost pile.

I'm more than a little icked-out by this news.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (03-20-2023),Just AnotherPerson (03-20-2023)

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 530
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 24,504x in 16,031 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That really chaps my ass to just now hear of this
    I bought Charmin just today .

Ok. It stops up plumbing . In reality I only bought Charmin because there was an old lady in the 4th qtr of life that everyone deems useless and tends to ignore

I wanted to make her feel someone does care
    I bought the expensive Charmin just to impress her

She said "my life is now complete, younger man than I. "

When I was leaving I saw an old woman face down in the parking lot being gawked at by the morbidly curious . She fit the description of the nice lady I had just interacted with

My heart sank . I was so damn sad

Then I realized it was another elderly outlier simply wearing a different shirt .

I was so relieved. I did not want to get involved with "planted face" and I had a 3 PM hate fuk on my schedule so no time , sowwy
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 530
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 24,504x in 16,031 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    Whoa!!!

Seriously?

Isn't that like tossing dog $#@! into the compost pile? We were always told not to do that because dogs ate meat, which made their poo not suitable for the compost pile.

Dogs have a tendency to be so appalling at times

They do not do so intentionally. They are simply being themselves

Off topic but my sis and I had a Pomeranian once when we were pre teens named "Nicky "

It once urinated on a domino and stained mom's white carpet
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 428
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,800x in 4,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Growing your own, knowing what it has been grown in, fertilized with, treated with, and how it was handled.

Effluence was a known factor in crop contamination for years. And once again, we humans are the end user of this.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Collateral Damage For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (03-20-2023),Just AnotherPerson (03-20-2023)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotton1 View Post
    Dogs have a tendency to be so appalling at times

They do not do so intentionally. They are simply being themselves

Off topic but my sis and I had a Pomeranian once when we were pre teens named "Nicky "

It once urinated on a domino and stained mom's white carpet
    "A domino?" Was that on purpose? Or, did it just get in the way?

I have huge dogs and if one urinated on a domino--the domino would be floating in a sea of pee.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    Whoa!!!

Seriously?

The worst part is that it's old news. That makes it so much worse. Lol. Not liking it. It's way past time for the greenhouse.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (03-21-2023)

+ Reply to Thread