User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nattokinase: The Best Thing for Your Heart?

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,118x in 94,140 Posts
    Mentioned
    2547 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nattokinase: The Best Thing for Your Heart?

Will a supplement supplant prescription drugs for heart health?

Nattokinase: The Best Thing for Your Heart?

A Supplement that Might Replace Many Drugs

Nattokinase, a readily available, safe, inexpensive supplement, appears to have cardiovascular benefits that at first are hard to believe.

I can’t do it. I just can’t stomach starting another heart disease article – as appears to be the custom – by wasting your time explaining the grim statistics regarding cardiovascular disease. They’re ugly. You know that.

What you need instead are solutions, solutions to thwart the many maddening things that can affect the operation of the heart. We should be able to maintain the working integrity of this biological pump, keep it beating strong, keep its pipes clear of gunk, and keep the blood that flows through it clean and fluid until we’re ready to leave this mortal coil either on our own terms or getting hit on the head by some other falling anvil of catastrophe, and not by something so mundane as faulty plumbing.

Sure, medical science has lots of answers. We’ve got lifestyle modifications (i.e., exercise and diet), psychological interventions (stress relief), surgical interventions, and drugs, all of which have shown varying degrees of success. We’ve also got supplements but mention any of them – other than maybe prescription fish oil
    or coenzyme Q10 – to most cardiologists and they’ll make a face, the same face they’d make if you held a small turd underneath their noses.

But there’s a relatively unknown supplement – at least in the Western world – that they should take a whiff of. It appears to be the medicinal utility player of all medicinal utility players as it’s antithrombotic (clot-busting), antihypertensive (blood pressure lowering), anticoagulant (blood thinning) and anti-atherosclerotic (plaque dissolving).

Its name is “nattokinase,” and some researchers think it has the potential to replace several prescribed heart medications while also ensuring that the hearts of healthy people stay healthy.

Natto-What?

Nattokinase is an enzyme derived from Natto, a traditional Japanese food made from fermented soybeans that’s often eaten for breakfast. It’s pretty gross looking, at least to those that aren’t accustomed to it. It looks like zombified soybeans that leave long, cheesy strings of organic matter when you pull them apart with chopsticks.

Natto has been around for at least 2,000 years, and people who ate it regularly seemed to be less prone to developing heart disease. It wasn’t until 1987 that a team of Japanese researchers figured out that natto contained a potent fibrinolytic (clot-preventing) enzyme that they named nattokinase.

Since then, a relatively small number of compelling studies on both animals and humans have confirmed that finding, along with discovering that it also has the aforementioned antithrombic, antihypertensive, and anti-atherosclerotic properties.

I’ll readily admit that there hasn’t been enough research on nattokinase to cast all doubt as to its efficacy away, but there’s a reason for that – nattokinase can’t be patented. No one’s going to get rich off it, let alone be compensated for what they spent to conduct a study on it.

Nevertheless, the studies that have been done are pretty convincing, at least to me. Consider that there’s no other drug or supplement that possesses multiple CVD preventative and alleviating pharmacologic effects. What’s more, it can be taken orally in capsule form, it’s ridiculously inexpensive, and its safety record is, so far, impeccable.

Let’s take a relatively painless look at the supportive research. - at the link
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (03-21-2023)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,553x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to buy this in the powdered form. There are many health benefits to Natto. I have studied it a lot over the years but still haven't ever made it. I know it looks gross, but they say it is cheese like. It looks a lot like cheese. I do get yucked out pretty easily though..... Great post.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=podered+n...f=nb_sb_noss_2
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (03-21-2023)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2547 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    I used to buy this in the powdered form. There are many health benefits to Natto. I have studied it a lot over the years but still haven't ever made it. I know it looks gross, but they say it is cheese like. It looks a lot like cheese. I do get yucked out pretty easily though..... Great post.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=podered+n...f=nb_sb_noss_2
    Price seems high for a supplement, but if I had heart issues I would certainly try it.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

tPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 45,849x in 24,772 Posts
    Mentioned
    880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is available in tablet form. What dosage?
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,553x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    Yes it is. I'm not sure about the dosage. If it were me I would err on the side of caution when trying something new and buy it in the lowest dosage possible just to see how your body handles it. You just never know. Also one thing to know is that it can interfere with some medications. They say if you are on blood thinners you shouldn't take it because it does the opposite. But they also say it prevents clotting and cleans the vessels. I have talked a lot about taking K2 with vitamin D, well a lot of k2 products are derived from Natto, and that stuff is really good for cleaning the arteries.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=natto+pil...f=nb_sb_noss_1
    Last edited by Just AnotherPerson; 03-21-2023 at 09:33 AM.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2547 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    Good question. Most authors don't include dosage, probably for liability reasons- but then the info in the article is not helpful.

The studies mentioned in the article use FU stands for Fibrin Units. That is a unit that measures bioavalibity. Low doses (3600 FU) did nothing. High doses (10,600 FU) got the gold. To convert FU to MGs see here. But, bioavlibility will depend on the quality of the source.

The OP says
    10 mg/k/day for humans, which should be 10 grams a day., has no side effects. But I may be wrong on that calculation (OK, I am). I am unfamiliar with that unit of measurement. But it doesn't matter- the link JAP provided to Amazon- they are sold with the FU units. So shoot for 10,600 FUs.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (03-21-2023),Just AnotherPerson (03-21-2023)

+ Reply to Thread