Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,643x in 4,358 Posts
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    LOL

I ended up being ranked as transexual too, even though my answers were hetero.

One question asked what I did as a child, and the answer was dressed up in my mom's shoes, makeup, and lingerie. That was a tough one because my sister and I liked to wear our mom's makeup, shoes, and clothes, but never her lingerie.

Still. It was a fun quiz!
    I had fun with it too. I mean, I expected such a quiz to be silly, but not quite this bizarre. That's why I had to share!

A good number of the questions and answers didn't make sense to me, and more forced me to answer inaccurately. This began with the very first question, which was on what toys or activities you enjoyed most as a kid. I was forced to choose books even though I tended to much prefer super soakers and video games. Reading was just the only thing offered that I actually did as a kid. Voluntarily, I mean. Likewise, that question you're referring to about what your first memory of learning about gender had no options I could relate to, so I was forced to choose "neither". Closest other option was "I wanted to stay in and play with the other boys"...but the implication there is that I viewed myself as male, so not applicable. There's literally no accounting for tomboys here except to transgender us. Likewise the implication of the choice you selected was obviously to suggest that you were a trans-woman.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IMPress Polly For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (03-24-2023),FindersKeepers (03-24-2023),Thom Paine (03-24-2023)

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,804
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    If you were offered the opportunity to take twenty years off your age, with the proviso that you would then find yourself transformed physically into the other sex - for purposes of this hypothetical, we're assuming that there are only two - would you agree to do it?
    I think I get what you're saying. The real appeal of gender transitioning is the prospect of a fresh start; just getting to start your life over again with a new name, new clothes, new sensations, a new identity, just become a completely different person than the one who's suffering and feels forgotten. Especially for survivors of trauma, for example, who may lead very unhappy lives.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPress Polly For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (03-24-2023)

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,804
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Like feminist against progress, Mary Harrington, whom I continue to listen to. She's make the rounds promoting her new book, Feminism against Progress, available in April.
    Yeah, Mary Harrington's a very pronounced example of how different from the stereotype feminists can be. I find the more conventional, liberal ones generic and boring. Give me Louise Perry, Victoria Smith, Kathleen Stock, Julie Bindel, Sheila Jeffreys, or yes Mary Harrington any day of the week! Whether I agree with every word or not, the thoughts on offer there will be more original and interesting at minimum.
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 03-23-2023 at 09:24 PM.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,903x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    Yeah, Mary Harrington's a very pronounced example of how different from the stereotype feminists can be. I find the more conventional, liberal ones generic and boring. Give me Louise Perry, Victoria Smith, Kathleen Stock, Julie Bindel, Sheila Jeffreys, or yes Mary Harrington any day of the week! Whether I agree with every word or not, the thoughts on offer there will be more original and interesting at minimum.
    Mary is very logical and takes a broad view of history and philosophy. She grew out of being a feminist for freedom to, as she puts it, a feminist for caring when she married and had a baby, something that changes you.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 839
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,088x in 12,283 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think I get what you're saying. The real appeal of gender transitioning is the prospect of a fresh start; just getting to start your life over again with a new name, new clothes, new sensations, a new identity, just become a completely different person than the one who's suffering and feels forgotten. Especially for survivors of trauma, for example, who may lead very unhappy lives.
    I don't actually believe that there's a right or wrong answer to my question. I was just considering my own feelings about this hypothetical science-fictional scenario, and wondered how others would react to it. I can certainly appreciate how someone's current age might play into their thinking. For instance a thirty-year-old might not see any great advantage in becoming ten years old again - certainly not enough of an advantage as to motivate them to become another sex.

On the other hand, someone pushing 70 or 80 and beginning to think about the big unthinkable, the D word, might find themselves tempted - particularly as the "rollback" number is increased from 20 to 40. I mean, how close to assuming room temperature do you have to be before letting go of that insistence on continuing to be a guy, or a woman? There has to be a tipping point, and of course that's going to be different for each of us. For me, personally, losing 20 years? - I'd give it serious thought. 30 or 40 years? - I'm pretty sure that would do it for me.

(And anyone considering the question should understand that I'm not thinking in terms of a person retaining all of their physical characteristics except for those directly related to sex. Most men, to be honest, would not make attractive women if that's the only change that was to be made. Allow me to modify the question to include the proviso that your new body would be that of a relatively attractive man or woman.)
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,578x in 94,412 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then they find out after that nothing really changed inside.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

tPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,039x in 24,874 Posts
    Mentioned
    886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the appeal was because these folks actually believed in their heart of hearts they were born to be the other sex? I have never heard the “fresh start” angle.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 839
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,088x in 12,283 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The thing is, you and I can see that such a motivation might exist in some individuals; to others, the mere suggestion that anyone might be seeking to identify with and - to use a term not normally associated with this topic - reposition themselves as a member of the opposite sex for any reason other than a sincere belief that they have actually been born in the wrong body, so to speak, is an heretical concept, and will get you cancelled faster than anything. (Ask Jon Stewart of Bill Maher.) Suggesting even the possibility that an individual might be, as you say, simply seeking a new start, or trying to escape from their past in a truly radical way, is just not allowed. I know a young transgender woman who used to love Stewart and Maher, and now she despises them because they suggested that some seeking to transition might be doing so as the result of peer pressure, or faddishness..

In my hypothetical, however, I was asking folks who - I would have to assume - do not, for the most part, have any desire or intention to "switch sides". I'm perfectly satisfied with being a man, and for purposes of the question I'm just assuming that everybody here is happy with what nature gave them in that department. My question is more one of survival - of staying alive. As I mentioned before, I'm pushing 70 now - an age that just a few years ago I would not have expected to see. As much as I like being a guy, if it meant adding decades to my life on the planet, I'm pretty sure I could deal with it.

Addressing those who say "No" to the idea, even if 40 extra years of life were offered in exchange - and keep in mind, this would be 40 years of life as a young person - I'd ask a final variation on the question. Would you agree to it if you were on your literal deathbed, or so infirm and miserable that your life had become a burden? If the odds of your living even another five years were slim and diminishing? Honestly, how dire would your physical condition have to be before you'd be willing to commit the ultimate guy taboo?

And keep in mind, you could always be a lesbian.
    Last edited by Standing Wolf; 03-25-2023 at 02:10 AM.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (03-27-2023)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,578x in 94,412 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    The thing is, you and I can see that such a motivation might exist in some individuals; to others, the mere suggestion that anyone might be seeking to identify with and - to use a term not normally associated with this topic - reposition themselves as a member of the opposite sex for any reason other than a sincere belief that they have actually been born in the wrong body, so to speak, is an heretical concept, and will get you cancelled faster than anything. (Ask Jon Stewart of Bill Maher.) Suggesting even the possibility that an individual might be, as you say, simply seeking a new start, or trying to escape from their past in a truly radical way, is just not allowed. I know a young transgender woman who used to love Stewart and Maher, and now she despises them because they suggested that some seeking to transition might be doing so as the result of peer pressure, or faddishness..

In my hypothetical, however, I was asking folks who - I would have to assume - do not, for the most part, have any desire or intention to "switch sides". I'm perfectly satisfied with being a man, and for purposes of the question I'm just assuming that everybody here is happy with what nature gave them in that department. My question is more one of survival - of staying alive. As I mentioned before, I'm pushing 70 now - an age that just a few years ago I would not have expected to see. As much as I like being a guy, if it meant adding decades to my life on the planet, I'm pretty sure I could deal with it.

Addressing those who say "No" to the idea, even if 40 extra years of life were offered in exchange - and keep in mind, this would be 40 years of life as a young person - I'd ask a final variation on the question. Would you agree to it if you were on your literal deathbed, or so infirm and miserable that your life had become a burden? If the odds of your living even another five years were slim and diminishing? Honestly, how dire would your physical condition have to be before you'd be willing to commit the ultimate guy taboo?

And keep in mind, you could always be a lesbian.
    Game changer!
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Standing Wolf (03-25-2023)

Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,903x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    I thought the appeal was because these folks actually believed in their heart of hearts they were born to be the other sex? I have never heard the “fresh start” angle.
    Same here. Just searched on "fresh start transgender" and the first hit was She left transgender life, now embraces fresh start.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

+ Reply to Thread