Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,118x in 94,140 Posts
    Mentioned
    2547 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Most Important Benefit of Weight Lifting Isn't Bigger Muscles

I would say just as important as. At least to a point, all need a healthy amount of lean muscle mass. Without it should you have a serious illness or major surgery, your chances of survival drop. But, yes, lifting weights to strengthen bones is valid- and should be considered necessary for older adults who want to be healthy.

I worked with an elderly lady who was forced to retire after her hip cracked due to the simple task of walking. She was skinny-fat. I didn't keep in touch- but those sorts of injuries for the elderly typically pre-sage death.

The Most Important Benefit of Weight Lifting Isn't Bigger Muscles

Building buffness. Getting ripped. Toning up. No matter what it’s called, becoming more muscular is generally top-of-the-mind for any young person who regularly visits the weight room. Less thought about is another key benefit, one that’s not as easily seen but is more long-lasting and consequential: weight training is the best way to strengthen bones.

Remember the milk mustache?

For a long time, conventional wisdom, put in place by omnipresent marketing, heralded calcium intake as the key to strong bones. Recent large studies, however, show that supplementation of the mineral, often found in meat and dairy products, only has a modest effect on bone density, and doesn’t reduce fractures at all.

Lifting weights, however, does. The stress placed on bones by squatting, pressing, deadlifting, pulling, or doing pretty much any motion with added resistance kicks bone-synthesizing cells called osteoblasts into high gear. They start producing collagen, other specialized proteins, and hydroxyapatite — the bone mineral — and forming these raw materials into more bone for your spine, femur, tibia, and any other bones that are bearing the added weight. The result is a stronger skeleton, one more resistant to fracture.

As your skeleton is literally the foundational structure of your body, that’s a big deal. The average person loses about 1% of their bone mass each year after age forty. For about three million Americans each year, this decline eventually results in a potentially debilitating condition called osteoporosis, in which bones become so weak and brittle that a fall or even a mild stressor like bending over or coughing can cause them to crack. Two million osteoporosis-related fractures occur each year, sometimes resulting in permanent enfeeblement. According to Harvard Medical School, “six out of 10 people who break a hip never fully regain their former level of independence”.

Aerobic activities like walking, jogging, swimming, and cycling are all fantastic forms of exercise. Easily accessible and often recommended to older adults, they offer myriad health benefits. However, none come close to building bone like weight training does. And some, particularly walking, jogging, and cycling, can put older adults at risk of falls.

Strengthen the skeleton

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (03-22-2023),MisterVeritis (03-22-2023),Thom Paine (03-22-2023)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,553x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see how this is true. I can hardly lift 5lbs because of the nerve damage in my neck and spine. I truly notice the effects that has on my health. I try to exercise in every way that is physically possible though.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (03-22-2023),zelmo1234 (03-22-2023)

Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 253
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    zelmo1234's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 19,804x in 14,192 Posts
    Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    having less fat and more lean muscle makes every part of our body work better.

I just got involved with the wrong trainers in the beginning.

+ Reply to Thread