Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,117x in 11,350 Posts
    Mentioned
    544 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    All I did was ridicule your nonsense.

Anyone who compares purchasing a firearm to buying a cheeseburger is a complete idiot. They deserve to be ridiculed.
    Again, nice deflection. Funny how you focus on my obvious sarcasm, but ignore my other post and fail to answer any of my questions.

And while my cheeseburger crack was obvious sarcasm, it can actually be nearly as easy to purchase a firearm in many parts of the US. Private sales that are often posted online, are as easy as meeting the vendor in a parking lot, assuring them your not a felon, and handling over payment. Do you think that has any potential dangers?

But again, I’m not expecting an actual response to that question, or the others I asked. So deflect away.

Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 2,138
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Common Sense's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    544 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common Sense View Post
    How are those massive government restrictions? Are drivers licenses massive government restrictions? Speed limits are tyranny? Insurance is communism? Do you think the roads would be safer if there were no regulations on driving and no need for drivers licenses?

While the Constitution does describe the right to bear arms (as a well regulated militia is necessary for the security of a free state….but that’s a different argument), it doesn’t imply that reasonable restrictions are unconstitutional. The Supreme Court has established that fact with restrictions on fully automatic firearms and other weapons are constitutional. So none of the regulations I’ve described are unconstitutional, or unreasonable. There are existing restrictions with regards to age and being a felon. And if we’re going to be Constitutional absolutists, a standing army is technically unconstitutional.

The reality is, the reasonable regulations I’ve listed are effective and don’t infringe on anyone’s rights. There’s a reason why the US has a much higher gun violence rate than other nations with reasonable restrictions.
    It may be pointless, but I’ll ask again…Tahuyaman, do you have an actual response to any of this?

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 76,964x in 55,592 Posts
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Again, nice deflection. Funny how you focus on my obvious sarcasm, but ignore my other post and fail to answer any of my questions.

And while my cheeseburger crack was obvious sarcasm, it can actually be nearly as easy to purchase a firearm in many parts of the US. Private sales that are often posted online, are as easy as meeting the vendor in a parking lot, assuring them your not a felon, and handling over payment. Do you think that has any potential dangers?

But again, I’m not expecting an actual response to that question, or the others I asked. So deflect away.
    It wasn’t sarcasm. That’s what you believe. You belong in Canada and not infecting the US with more leftist idiocy.
    When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.“ - Benjamin Franklin.

“When people get used to preferential treatment equal treatment seems like discrimination.” - Thomas Sowell

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    544 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    It wasn’t sarcasm. That’s what you believe. You belong in Canada and not infecting the US with more leftist idiocy.
    You don’t fail to disappoint. Just more lazy deflection and hyperbolic nonsense. If you’re not even going to try, why bother?

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Liberals are hard to figure out. First, they advocate killing as many unborn children as a society will tolerate. Then when children survive that, they want to sexualize them at the earliest age possible. Then after that they want to deny them the right to defend their own life.
    When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.“ - Benjamin Franklin.

“When people get used to preferential treatment equal treatment seems like discrimination.” - Thomas Sowell

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    544 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol….

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You don’t fail to disappoint. Just more lazy deflection and hyperbolic nonsense. If you’re not even going to try, why bother?
    I already called out your position in detail and you can’t defend it. Your idea of common sense gun laws is disarming everyone. Except the criminal element won’t cooperate with that.

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 1,142
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,378x in 15,847 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenpe View Post
    guns and the unborn are the great love affair for the right. Keeps the crowd riled up and the votes coming in and the NRA scaring Pub politicians with their influence. I knew ammunition salesmen that all built new homes when Obama was in office. Nothing more manly than an ammosexual.
    What would you know about "manly"?
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 1,142
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,378x in 15,847 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure. Mandatory Firearms courses with training, testing and licensing. Mandatory background checks that can’t be circumvented by private sales. Restrictions on high capacity mags and full auto modifications. Regulations on responsible storage and transportation of firearms.
    I agree with mandatory firearms training. It should start in elementary school and proceed until high school graduation. EVERYBODY, whether you choose to own or carry a gun should be required to undergo it.

There will never be mandatory background checks that can't be circumvented by private sales. We have had that stupid law in New Mexico since 2019 and during the 4 years it has been in effect, I have done exactly THREE private sale NICS checks and one of them was mine.

Restrictions on high capacity magazines is a useless feel good measure that would accomplish nothing in the way of reducing crime. If anything, it would harm law abiding citizens.

Full auto modifications... They have been illegal since 1934. You should hope that if you ever have to defend yourself in a gunfight, your opponent has a spray and slay mentality. It would make it much easier to take him out.

Regulations on responsible storage and transportation of firearms... A gun that is locked up in a safe won't protect you against a home invasion.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (03-25-2023),Peter1469 (03-25-2023)

Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,536x in 26,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    1169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While the Constitution does describe the right to bear arms (as a well regulated militia is necessary for the security of a free state….but that’s a different argument), it doesn’t imply that reasonable restrictions are unconstitutional.
    You're right. It doesn't imply it, it expresses it outright: SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.

Any and all federal restrictions on private firearms are unconstitutional on their face.

Not only because the federal government is expressly prohibited from enacting such restrictions by the second amendment, but because the federal government was never delegated such a power by the constitution.

There is nothing in the constitution saying the federal government has the power to restrict private firearms. That is why Hamilton argued against a bill of rights. He basically said, "Why do we need to prohibit the government from doing things which it has no power to do?" Of course, Hamilton intentionally neglected the fact that governments often ignore or circumvent limits on their own power, which is why the "anti-federalists" insisted that express limitations on said power be included. Because they knew even though the federal government did not have the constitutional authority to abridge freedom of the press or infringe the right to keep and bears arms, it would still try to do so, as all governments throughout history have done before them. They knew without an express prohibition, the federal government would take it as permission to usurp that power for itself. Hell, even in the face of an express prohibition, they still try like hell to get around it, with risible constructions where "well regulated" transforms into a power to regulate the very thing which is being declared a right! Thus is the serpentine "logic" of government, which always seeks to expand its own power at the expense of others.
    Last edited by Ethereal; 03-25-2023 at 12:06 AM.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ethereal For This Useful Post:

2cent (03-25-2023),Cletus (03-25-2023),MisterVeritis (03-25-2023),OLD GUY IN FLORIDA (03-25-2023)

+ Reply to Thread