User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Unlikely Story of How Competitive ‘Tetris’ Went Viral ‘

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,598x in 25,151 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face The Unlikely Story of How Competitive ‘Tetris’ Went Viral ‘

The Unlikely Story of How Competitive ‘Tetris’ Went Viral - ‘Tetris is bigger than video games. Even after thousands of years, it will never get old.’

direct.jpg
    ‘Tetris is bigger than video games. Even after thousands of years, it will never get old.’

In 1990, a 13-year-old named Thor Aackerlund walked into the Nintendo World Championships to compete in Tetris and left a god. He obliterated every previously held Tetris record.

Then, he disappeared. Adding to his mystery, the Nintendo World Championship (NWC) was a one-time deal. So Aackerlund remained the last true Tetris champion for nearly two decades. In fact, it wouldn’t be until 2009 when someone could finally lay claim to Aackerlund’s throne. “Harry Hong became the first person to score a ‘max-out’ — or 999,999 points, the highest score possible — onNES Tetris,” filmmaker Adam Cornelius tells me. “It was then that I realized there wasn’t an official competition that could crown an official champion.”

In tandem with pursuing a documentary to find the one true Tetris master, Cornelius enlisted the help of third-place NWC champion Rob Mihara and another filmmaker,Vince Clemente, to produce a new tournament. “The main idea to start the tournament was to use it for the climax of the film,” Clemente explains. “I never thought I’d be doing it for a second year, let alone 10 years later.”

“Between the three of us, we ended up creating what’s now theClassic Tetris World Championship,” Cornelius says. “Back [in 2009], it was a modest affair with a basic analog video switcher someone gave us, and just four ugly Tetris games on a movie screen at a theater called theDowntown Independent in Los Angeles.”

Still, even at that first event, there was a palpable buzz. The Tetris Company,known for being very protective of its intellectual property, was “very much on board with the [Classic Tetris World Championships],” says David MacDonald,a YouTuber who’s extensively detailed the CTWC. “So much so thatHenk Rogers, founder of the Tetris Company, spoke at that first event.”

direct.jpg

ff48675e4dd24c950af1dda5ac3c6019-3341803969.gif

giphy-1033052514.gif

giphy-1033052514.gif
    https://getpocket.com/explore/item/t...=pocket-newtab
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (03-27-2023),FindersKeepers (03-27-2023)

Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 277
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,870x in 4,195 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I lived, ate and breathed that game for years. I look back now and see how well it improved my eye hand coordination, and sped up my strategic thinking skills.

And it was damn fun.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Collateral Damage For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (03-27-2023)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,425x in 94,896 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never got into it.

The old games were lame and I ignored gaming for a while until I realized it got good. Then it got "too good." Many of the classics were best in the Windows 7-9 era. Like Mech Warrior, Total War, and Civilization.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (03-27-2023)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collateral Damage View Post
    I lived, ate and breathed that game for years. I look back now and see how well it improved my eye hand coordination, and sped up my strategic thinking skills.

And it was damn fun.

I did too--for a few months. I played it on my son's GameBoy and the first time I beat the game, I was so excited when the shuttle launched and all the fireworks went off. Then it got where playing it was kind of intuitive and I beat the game several times. It got to where my kids wouldn't even come over to see the shuttle anymore. LOL That's when I knew I needed a different hobby.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (03-27-2023)

+ Reply to Thread