User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CTE cases in soccer players raise fresh questions about safety of heading the ball...

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,037x in 24,874 Posts
    Mentioned
    886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question CTE cases in soccer players raise fresh questions about safety of heading the ball...

CTE cases in soccer players raise fresh questions about safety of heading the ball...

English soccer star Jimmy Fryatt was known for his ability to head the ball, and the proof of his prowess may be in the damage it did to his brain. Still physically fit in his late 70s, Fryatt played tennis but couldn’t keep score or remember which side of the net he was supposed to be on. He lived in Las Vegas for almost 50 years but started to get lost while riding his bicycle in the neighborhood. “I had to put a tracker on him,” his wife, Valerie, said this week. “I’d call him and say: ‘Stop. I’m coming to get you.’”

A North American Soccer League champion who played 18 years in Britain, Fryatt is one of four former professional soccer players newly diagnosed with chronic traumatic encephalopathy. The Concussion Legacy Foundation announced Tuesday that English pro and Oregon State head coach Jimmy Conway, Scottish and Seattle NASL midfielder Jimmy Gabriel, and NCAA champion Franny Pantuosco also were found to have the degenerative brain disease that has been linked to concussions in athletes, combat veterans and others who have sustained repeated head trauma.

They are the first diagnoses among those who played in the NASL, a precursor to MLS as the top U.S. pro soccer league that attracted attention with high-profile signings — including Pelé — before folding in 1985.

Valerie Fryatt said her husband had several diagnosed concussions, but CTE researchers believe the disease can also be caused by repeated sub-concussive blows to the head. In soccer, that means heading the ball.

th-384537658.jpeg

th-384537658.jpeg

th-384537658.jpeg

th-3760838468.jpeg

th-1667939978.jpeg
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

donttread (05-20-2023)

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 733
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,511x in 14,775 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    CTE cases in soccer players raise fresh questions about safety of heading the ball...

English soccer star Jimmy Fryatt was known for his ability to head the ball, and the proof of his prowess may be in the damage it did to his brain. Still physically fit in his late 70s, Fryatt played tennis but couldn’t keep score or remember which side of the net he was supposed to be on. He lived in Las Vegas for almost 50 years but started to get lost while riding his bicycle in the neighborhood. “I had to put a tracker on him,” his wife, Valerie, said this week. “I’d call him and say: ‘Stop. I’m coming to get you.’”

A North American Soccer League champion who played 18 years in Britain, Fryatt is one of four former professional soccer players newly diagnosed with chronic traumatic encephalopathy. The Concussion Legacy Foundation announced Tuesday that English pro and Oregon State head coach Jimmy Conway, Scottish and Seattle NASL midfielder Jimmy Gabriel, and NCAA champion Franny Pantuosco also were found to have the degenerative brain disease that has been linked to concussions in athletes, combat veterans and others who have sustained repeated head trauma.

They are the first diagnoses among those who played in the NASL, a precursor to MLS as the top U.S. pro soccer league that attracted attention with high-profile signings — including Pelé — before folding in 1985.

Valerie Fryatt said her husband had several diagnosed concussions, but CTE researchers believe the disease can also be caused by repeated sub-concussive blows to the head. In soccer, that means heading the ball.

Attachment 57539

Attachment 57540

Attachment 57541

Attachment 57542

Attachment 57543
    I heard somewhere that soccer could be worse that football for head injuries. I've also wondered how much they practiced heading the ball? We practiced it occasionally in HS. But if they routinely practice it at that level it would be a lot more heads that seen in actual games

4. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (05-20-2023)

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 879
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,087x in 12,282 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Even fully inflated, it doesn't seem like the ball would be a hard enough surface to cause serious injury, regardless of how many times a person's head impacted it. I don't doubt that it's true - it just doesn't seem as though it should be.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

donttread (05-20-2023)

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 733
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,511x in 14,775 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    Even fully inflated, it doesn't seem like the ball would be a hard enough surface to cause serious injury, regardless of how many times a person's head impacted it. I don't doubt that it's true - it just doesn't seem as though it should be.

I know but it is a real thing. Remember the pros don,t just let the ball with their head, they snap into it. Maybe that's a factor?

Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 1,008
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    ripmeister's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,494x in 2,835 Posts
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    It’s the velocity of the ball that matters most.
    One can be sure that he who says he knows knows nothing

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 76,962x in 55,590 Posts
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think it was back in the 90’s when they started talking about brain injuries from head shots in soccer.
    When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.“ - Benjamin Franklin.

“When people get used to preferential treatment equal treatment seems like discrimination.” - Thomas Sowell

+ Reply to Thread