User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Did Scientists Accidentally Invent an Anti-addiction Drug?

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 93.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,553x in 94,402 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did Scientists Accidentally Invent an Anti-addiction Drug?

If this is true, it would be a major achievement. The drug appears to bind with a number of receptors in the brain, to include those for dopamine. It blocks the "reward centers" in the brain.

All her life, Victoria Rutledge thought of herself as someone with an addictive personality. Her first addiction was alcohol. After she got sober in her early 30s, she replaced drinking with food and shopping, which she thought about constantly. She would spend $500 on organic groceries, only to have them go bad in her fridge. “I couldn’t stop from going to that extreme,” she told me. When she ran errands at Target, she would impulsively throw extra things—candles, makeup, skin-care products—into her cart.

Earlier this year, she began taking semaglutide, also known as Wegovy, after being prescribed the drug for weight loss. (Colloquially, it is often referred to as Ozempic, though that is technically just the brand name for semaglutide that is marketed for diabetes treatment.) Her food thoughts quieted down. She lost weight. But most surprisingly, she walked out of Target one day and realized her cart contained only the four things she came to buy. “I’ve never done that before,” she said. The desire to shop had slipped away. The desire to drink, extinguished once, did not rush in as a replacement either. For the first time—perhaps the first time in her whole life—all of her cravings and impulses were gone. It was like a switch had flipped in her brain.

As semaglutide has skyrocketed in popularity, patients have been sharing curious effects that go beyond just appetite suppression. They have reported losing interest in a whole range of addictive and compulsive behaviors: drinking, smoking, shopping, biting nails, picking at skin. Not everyone on the drug experiences these positive effects, to be clear, but enough that addiction researchers are paying attention. And the spate of anecdotes might really be onto something. For years now, scientists have been testing whether drugs similar to semaglutide can curb the use of alcohol, cocaine, nicotine, and opioids in lab animals—to promising results.

Semaglutide and its chemical relatives seem to work, at least in animals, against an unusually broad array of addictive drugs, says Christian Hendershot, a psychiatrist at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Medicine. Treatments available today tend to be specific: methadone for opioids, bupropion for smoking. But semaglutide could one day be more widely useful, as this class of drug may alter the brain’s fundamental reward circuitry. The science is still far from settled, though researchers are keen to find out more. At UNC, in fact, Hendershot is now running clinical trials to see whether semaglutide can help people quit drinking alcohol and smoking. This drug that so powerfully suppresses the desire to eat could end up suppressing the desire for a whole lot more.

The history of semaglutide is one of welcome surprises. Originally developed for diabetes, semaglutide prompts the pancreas to release insulin by mimicking a hormone called GLP-1, or glucagon-like peptide 1. First-generation GLP-1 analogs—exenatide and liraglutide—have been on the market to treat diabetes for more than a decade. And almost immediately, doctors noticed that patients on these drugs also lost weight, an unintended but usually not unwelcome side effect. Semaglutide has been heralded as a potentially even more potent GLP-1 analog.

Experts now believe GLP-1 analogs affect more than just the pancreas. The exact mechanism in weight loss is still unclear, but the drugs likely work in multiple ways to suppress hunger, including but not limited to slowing food’s passage through the stomach and preventing ups and downs in blood sugar. Most intriguing, it also seems to reach and act directly on the brain.

GLP-1 analogs appear to actually bind to receptors on neurons in several parts of the brain, says Scott Kanoski, a neurobiologist at the University of Southern California. When Kanoski and his colleagues blocked these receptors in rodents, the first-generation drugs exenatide and liraglutide became less effective at reducing food intake—as if this had eliminated a key mode of action. The impulse to eat is just one kind of impulse, though. That these drugs work on the level of the brain—as well as the gut—suggests that they can suppress the urge for other things too.

In particular, GLP-1 analogs affect dopamine pathways in the brain, a.k.a the reward circuitry. This pathway evolved to help us survive; simplistically, food and sex trigger a dopamine hit in the brain. We feel good, and we do it again. In people with addiction, this process in the brain shifts as a consequence or cause of their addiction, or perhaps even both. They have, for example, fewer dopamine receptors in part of the brain’s reward pathway, so the same reward may bring less pleasure.

In lab animals, addiction researchers have amassed a body of evidence that GLP-1 analogs alter the reward pathway: mice on a version of exenatide get less of a dopamine hit from alcohol; rats on the same GLP-1 drug sought out less cocaine; same for rats and oxycodone. African vervet monkeys predisposed to drinking alcohol drank less on liraglutide and exenatide. Most of the published research has been conducted with these two first-generation GLP-1 drugs, but researchers told me to expect many studies with semaglutide, with positive results, to be published soon.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (05-31-2023),Collateral Damage (05-31-2023),donttread (05-31-2023),Just AnotherPerson (05-22-2023)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,554x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They better be-careful who knows what kind of health conditions they can induce in people by messing with dopamine receptors. It can cause parkinsinisom. I took a medication called baclofen for a neurological condition it is mostly used as a drug to treat MS. Later I found out that it is also a drug they prescribe to alcoholics to help them to quit. It works because it changes the dopamine receptors in the brain.

I didn't know any of this when I started the medication for three months back in 2017. All I knew was that I was prescribed it by a University Dr with high standing and was told that it was really good and that I should take it, that it would help me. It gave me end stage Parkinsons like symptoms. It was the worst thing I have ever been through in my entire life. I still haven't completely overcome the damage to my brain. For the longest time I couldn't even eat any food or drink that triggers dopamine like coffee or tea it would make me very sick. It altered my brain in a way that I can't take medications, somehow the medications have opposite affects on me. All I can think of is that it altered my neural pathways and chemistry to the degree that medications don't process in the intended way. I can't even take a benadryl.

When I studied that medication further I found that it acted on the dopamine receptors. They should not mess with that, they have no idea what they are doing to people. When people have Parkinsons this is one of the things that happens to them and they can no longer produce dopamine and they eventually succumb. They are inducing Parkinsons in people.

"Your body is capable of producing all the dopamine it needs. It can get the building blocks from the foods you eat and the activities you do. In people with Parkinson’s disease, dopamine levels drop, and the brain doesn’t have enough of the neurotransmitter to do the important work of sending electrical impulses through the brain and central nervous system".

"For people with Parkinson’s disease, dopamine levels are too low. As the dopamine starts to fall, signs and symptoms of Parkinson’s disease will begin to reveal themselves".

https://www.healthline.com/health/pa...ine-parkinsons
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (05-31-2023)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    They better be-careful who knows what kind of health conditions they can induce in people by messing with dopamine receptors. It can cause parkinsinisom. I took a medication called baclofen for a neurological condition it is mostly used as a drug to treat MS. Later I found out that it is also a drug they prescribe to alcoholics to help them to quit. It works because it changes the dopamine receptors in the brain.

I didn't know any of this when I started the medication for three months back in 2017. All I knew was that I was prescribed it by a University Dr with high standing and was told that it was really good and that I should take it, that it would help me. It gave me end stage Parkinsons like symptoms. It was the worst thing I have ever been through in my entire life. I still haven't completely overcome the damage to my brain. For the longest time I couldn't even eat any food or drink that triggers dopamine like coffee or tea it would make me very sick. It altered my brain in a way that I can't take medications, somehow the medications have opposite affects on me. All I can think of is that it altered my neural pathways and chemistry to the degree that medications don't process in the intended way. I can't even take a benadryl.

When I studied that medication further I found that it acted on the dopamine receptors. They should not mess with that, they have no idea what they are doing to people. When people have Parkinsons this is one of the things that happens to them and they can no longer produce dopamine and they eventually succumb. They are inducing Parkinsons in people.

"Your body is capable of producing all the dopamine it needs. It can get the building blocks from the foods you eat and the activities you do. In people with Parkinson’s disease, dopamine levels drop, and the brain doesn’t have enough of the neurotransmitter to do the important work of sending electrical impulses through the brain and central nervous system".

"For people with Parkinson’s disease, dopamine levels are too low. As the dopamine starts to fall, signs and symptoms of Parkinson’s disease will begin to reveal themselves".

https://www.healthline.com/health/pa...ine-parkinsons
    Yes, if your brain's biochemistry isn't messed up and you take a drug that changes your biochemistry, it will be bad for you.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (05-22-2023)

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 733
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,511x in 14,775 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    If this is true, it would be a major achievement. The drug appears to bind with a number of receptors in the brain, to include those for dopamine. It blocks the "reward centers" in the brain.

All her life, Victoria Rutledge thought of herself as someone with an addictive personality. Her first addiction was alcohol. After she got sober in her early 30s, she replaced drinking with food and shopping, which she thought about constantly. She would spend $500 on organic groceries, only to have them go bad in her fridge. “I couldn’t stop from going to that extreme,” she told me. When she ran errands at Target, she would impulsively throw extra things—candles, makeup, skin-care products—into her cart.

Earlier this year, she began taking semaglutide, also known as Wegovy, after being prescribed the drug for weight loss. (Colloquially, it is often referred to as Ozempic, though that is technically just the brand name for semaglutide that is marketed for diabetes treatment.) Her food thoughts quieted down. She lost weight. But most surprisingly, she walked out of Target one day and realized her cart contained only the four things she came to buy. “I’ve never done that before,” she said. The desire to shop had slipped away. The desire to drink, extinguished once, did not rush in as a replacement either. For the first time—perhaps the first time in her whole life—all of her cravings and impulses were gone. It was like a switch had flipped in her brain.

As semaglutide has skyrocketed in popularity, patients have been sharing curious effects that go beyond just appetite suppression. They have reported losing interest in a whole range of addictive and compulsive behaviors: drinking, smoking, shopping, biting nails, picking at skin. Not everyone on the drug experiences these positive effects, to be clear, but enough that addiction researchers are paying attention. And the spate of anecdotes might really be onto something. For years now, scientists have been testing whether drugs similar to semaglutide can curb the use of alcohol, cocaine, nicotine, and opioids in lab animals—to promising results.

Semaglutide and its chemical relatives seem to work, at least in animals, against an unusually broad array of addictive drugs, says Christian Hendershot, a psychiatrist at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Medicine. Treatments available today tend to be specific: methadone for opioids, bupropion for smoking. But semaglutide could one day be more widely useful, as this class of drug may alter the brain’s fundamental reward circuitry. The science is still far from settled, though researchers are keen to find out more. At UNC, in fact, Hendershot is now running clinical trials to see whether semaglutide can help people quit drinking alcohol and smoking. This drug that so powerfully suppresses the desire to eat could end up suppressing the desire for a whole lot more.

The history of semaglutide is one of welcome surprises. Originally developed for diabetes, semaglutide prompts the pancreas to release insulin by mimicking a hormone called GLP-1, or glucagon-like peptide 1. First-generation GLP-1 analogs—exenatide and liraglutide—have been on the market to treat diabetes for more than a decade. And almost immediately, doctors noticed that patients on these drugs also lost weight, an unintended but usually not unwelcome side effect. Semaglutide has been heralded as a potentially even more potent GLP-1 analog.

Experts now believe GLP-1 analogs affect more than just the pancreas. The exact mechanism in weight loss is still unclear, but the drugs likely work in multiple ways to suppress hunger, including but not limited to slowing food’s passage through the stomach and preventing ups and downs in blood sugar. Most intriguing, it also seems to reach and act directly on the brain.

GLP-1 analogs appear to actually bind to receptors on neurons in several parts of the brain, says Scott Kanoski, a neurobiologist at the University of Southern California. When Kanoski and his colleagues blocked these receptors in rodents, the first-generation drugs exenatide and liraglutide became less effective at reducing food intake—as if this had eliminated a key mode of action. The impulse to eat is just one kind of impulse, though. That these drugs work on the level of the brain—as well as the gut—suggests that they can suppress the urge for other things too.

In particular, GLP-1 analogs affect dopamine pathways in the brain, a.k.a the reward circuitry. This pathway evolved to help us survive; simplistically, food and sex trigger a dopamine hit in the brain. We feel good, and we do it again. In people with addiction, this process in the brain shifts as a consequence or cause of their addiction, or perhaps even both. They have, for example, fewer dopamine receptors in part of the brain’s reward pathway, so the same reward may bring less pleasure.

In lab animals, addiction researchers have amassed a body of evidence that GLP-1 analogs alter the reward pathway: mice on a version of exenatide get less of a dopamine hit from alcohol; rats on the same GLP-1 drug sought out less cocaine; same for rats and oxycodone. African vervet monkeys predisposed to drinking alcohol drank less on liraglutide and exenatide. Most of the published research has been conducted with these two first-generation GLP-1 drugs, but researchers told me to expect many studies with semaglutide, with positive results, to be published soon.
    My wife, who is diabetic, just started this medication and is losing weight with it. Maybe Amazon will start showing up at the house less often as a bonus.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (05-31-2023),Collateral Damage (05-31-2023),MisterVeritis (05-31-2023),Peter1469 (05-31-2023)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    My wife, who is diabetic, just started this medication and is losing weight with it. Maybe Amazon will start showing up at the house less often as a bonus.
    I would welcome that here as well.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (05-31-2023),donttread (05-31-2023)

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 428
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,800x in 4,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My ex would have benefitted from something like that. Alcohol, drugs, gambling, infidelity.... but too late, they are on the other side of the grass now.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,245x in 27,866 Posts
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this should be mandatory for every member of Congress and every member of their staffs as well.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 2,912
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 43,649x in 28,239 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you know one of these people then you would certainly see the value a find like this.
    I have had a few friends commit suicide and it always seemed to have started with obsession showing up first.
    Let's go Brandon !!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to carolina73 For This Useful Post:

donttread (05-31-2023)

Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,245x in 27,866 Posts
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    It will cost about $200/month if one is not diabetic.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    It will cost about $200/month if one is not diabetic.
    And with these new drugs they are for life. Unless you change your lifestyle. But if you can do that, you don't need the drugs.

It is like gastric bypass surgery. A collogue of mine wanted to get it. He showed me the packet of info about it. It included a What To Do After Surgery list. I read it. Told him "hell, just do this and you won't need the surgery."
    Last edited by Peter1469; 06-01-2023 at 02:07 AM.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (06-01-2023)

+ Reply to Thread