User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The 40 best TV finales of the 21st century ranked.

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 379
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Chuck's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 859x in 617 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post

I was sad when they killed off Dickie, though, low life that he was. He was good comedy relief.
    Meh, make that Dewey Crowe. Got him and Dickie mixed up. Him and Badass Constable Bob were my recurring favorite characters in that series. along with Raymond's Boss.
    Last edited by Chuck; 05-26-2023 at 01:31 AM.

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 2,162
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,268x in 12,391 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Meh, make that Dewey Crowe. Got him and Dickie mixed up. Him and Badass Constable Bob were my recurring favorite characters in that series. along with Raymond's Boss.
    Yeah, you wrote "comic relief" and I was sure you meant Dewey. I was kind of sorry to see him go. The actor who played him, Damon Herriman is Austalian, and was a regular on that great Australian series 'Mr. Inbetween'. If you remember the episode ("Cornered") of 'Breaking Bad', where Mike and Jesse go into the meth house after Jesse tricks the one meth-head into digging a hole in the front yard, and they confront an angry, paranoid meth-head with a long gun...that was Herriman. He was also seen briefly in the role of Charles Manson in Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood, and also played Manson in the t.v. series 'Mindhunter'.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Chuck (05-26-2023)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,555x in 94,977 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am mildly amused when people, often lots of people, get really triggered over the ending of TV series. GoT was classic.

Wolf mentioned The Shield. That was a great ending. And remember the pilot. Mackey shoots the undercover fed who imbedded in his task force and was investigating the team for being bad. So right off the bat you know these guys are way crooked. And season 1 makes you like them.
    Last edited by Peter1469; 05-26-2023 at 02:46 AM.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    I am mildly amused when people, often lots of people, get really triggered over the ending of TV series. GoT was classic.

Wolf mentioned The Shield. That was a great ending. And remember the pilot. Mackey shoots the undercover fed who imbedded in his task force and was investigating the team for being bad. So right off the bat you know these guys are way crooked. And season 1 makes you like them.
    Exactly right. There's just something in the nature of most people that can't help but admire and root for the bad guy in some stories. We watch "caper" movies like Heist - the 2001 version, with Gene Hackman, one of the greatest - or Oceans 11 and its sequels, or The Italian Job (either one), and how many of us are wanting them to get caught and go to jail?

I'm reminded of something Brother Dave Gardner said on one of his albums, back in the '60s: "Did you ever get to watching 'The Untouchables' and catch yourself pullin' for the fuzz?"

One of the senior writers on 'The Shield' was Kurt Sutter, who went on to create 'Sons of Anarchy' - another show where the main characters were, by their own admission, criminals. In the course of SoA's seven seasons, those guys killed hundreds of people - most of them other bad guys - in the pursuit of money, revenge, etc. They made Ron Perlman's character such an incredible $#@! that by the time he's finally killed by his own stepson in season six, Perlman wasn't talking to anybody. Yet to this day millions of nice, mentally okay and law-abiding people find it in their hearts to love those characters.

On a completely separate note, if the writer hadn't restricted their list to the 21st Century, I'm sure that two shows that would have appeared on it are 'Newhart' - in the final episode of which, Bob wakes up in bed with Suzanne Pleshette, his wife from 'The Bob Newhart Show', to find that the second show was all a dream - and 'St. Elsewhere', whose final scene reveals the entire series to have occurred entirely in the mind of an autistic child.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Chuck (05-26-2023),Peter1469 (05-27-2023)

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 379
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Chuck's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 859x in 617 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    On a completely separate note, if the writer hadn't restricted their list to the 21st Century, I'm sure that two shows that would have appeared on it are 'Newhart' - in the final episode of which, Bob wakes up in bed with Suzanne Pleshette, his wife from 'The Bob Newhart Show', to find that the second show was all a dream
    ^^^ This. An excellent ending indeed.

I've never seen many of the shows on the OP list, or even heard of half of them.

Re Sons, the only characters I liked were the retired sheriff guy and 'Bobby'. The rest I didn't really care about much. 'Bobby' was a close composite of people I know or knew in real life. Most of them are dead now.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ^^^ This. An excellent ending indeed.

I've never seen many of the shows on the OP list, or even heard of half of them.

Re Sons, the only characters I liked were the retired sheriff guy and 'Bobby'. The rest I didn't really care about much. 'Bobby' was a close composite of people I know or knew in real life. Most of them are dead now.
    Mark Boone Junior, who played Bobby, pops up in a lot of things. Of course he played Harvey Bullock in Batman Begins. He was in a movie I was just watching last night, called Life of Crime; he played an anti-Semitic nutcase who gets gunned down by the police while wearing Nazi regalia. (Of course in 'SoA' he was Jewish.) I was watching that Will Forte show, 'The Last Man on Earth' and somebody shows up just in profile and I said, "That's Bobby!" (The shape and the hair are a dead giveaway.)

He and Tommy ("Chibs") Flanagan were here in town at some biker rally and I was supposed to be there and get some photos signed, but there was some confusion and I missed it. A couple of months later I walked into a Salvation Army thrift store and sitting on a shelf was a nicely framed autographed 8x10 photo of Junior for just a few bucks. I have met Ron Perlman and Kim Coates - both nice guys, especially "Tig". He appeared at the grand opening of a huge Harley Davidson dealership in Scottsdale, and they gave him a table to sit behind to sign autographs, but he ignored that and stood out where he could shake hands with all the guys and hug all the women.

As for Chief Unser, after watching the entire series several times I've come to the conclusion that all the bloodshed and chaos that happened in season 7 was his fault. He knew Gemma was drunk and didn't like Tara anyway, but he felt like he had to pass along his (unfounded) speculations that Tara was making a deal with the D.A. to put Jax away - like some lovesick schoolgirl passing along some piece of gossip that her intended might want to hear. What did he think she was going to do? He started that bloody snowball rolling.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Chuck (05-27-2023)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,555x in 94,977 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ending of the Battlestar Galactica remake was awesome.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

+ Reply to Thread