Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 8,148x in 4,773 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    In situations like that, I try to remember to consider what the dead would think - in this case, how the fallen Service members would feel about it. I tend to believe that they would be good with everybody's grave being decorated, and everyone's loved ones remembered. I'd like to think that the dead are not jealous, vain or easily offended.

It's true, though, about "veterans" being included in so much of the speechifying and "advertisements" for Memorial Day. I suspect that a lot of veterans are at least a little embarrassed by it. I know I am.

In the U.S., what used to be Armistice Day, November 11th, a day for remembering our war dead, of course became Veteran's Day. In Great Britain that didn't happen, and they haven't lost sight of what the holiday is supposed to be about. They still observe two minutes of silence at the 11th minute of the 11th hour, and the Sunday closest to the date is Remembrance Sunday. They have what they call Armed Forces Day in late June, where both veterans and active duty Service personnel are honored.
    I am a Vietnam combat veteran. I went, did my duty and came home, mostly in one piece (no one who has seen war first hand returns unscathed). I do not like to be called a hero. It cheapens those who were true heroes and went above and beyond the call of duty. Sadly, that was not me.
    Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.”
    Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

2. The Following User Says Thank You to OLD GUY IN FLORIDA For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (05-27-2023)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 797
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,485x in 15,900 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NoisyBoy View Post
    I’ve got a pet peeve about Memorial Day.As was stated in the OP it is for those who gave all in defense of country. To honor our war dead.
    In my neck of the woods people use Memorial Day to decorate all of the their dead relatives graves No matter if they served or not. I understand wanting to honor loved ones who’ve passed on.Just do it any other time.
    I see no problem with people wanting to memorialize their dead on Memorial Day, whether they served or not.

The holiday isn't for the dead. They no longer care. It is for the living. Someone taking the day to remember someone, a parent, sibling, friend, relative or total stranger who did not die in the service of the nation takes nothing away from those who did.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

Captdon (05-27-2023),FindersKeepers (05-27-2023),Standing Wolf (05-27-2023)

Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 875
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    NoisyBoy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,099x in 2,609 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    I see no problem with people wanting to memorialize their dead on Memorial Day, whether they served or not.

The holiday isn't for the dead. They no longer care. It is for the living. Someone taking the day to remember someone, a parent, sibling, friend, relative or total stranger who did not die in the service of the nation takes nothing away from those who did.
    I said it was my pet peeve. You are right the dead no nothing. As far as to what Standing Wolf said , how can you know what those who have passed would think? A little projection there perhaps.
    Anyhow, I do think it does take away from those who the day was meant to commorate.Otherwise why establish the day to begin with?
    But hey that's just me and my take on things.
    Peace.

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD GUY IN FLORIDA View Post
    I intend to celebrate the day by eating hamburgers made from American raised beef.
    Lets see, my father was a soldier in the South Pacific where he was wounded, I was a sailor in Vietnam, one brother was a soldier in Vietnam, one brother was a soldier in South Korea (peace time) and one brother was a Marine who was stationed in Memphis TN. I am from a family of the warrior class and damn proud of it.

The greatest sight in the world is “To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!”

Ima eat a veggie burger in your honor.

Seriously though, it's a good opportunity to honor all who have served our nation in a military capacity. My dad drove a tank in the 2nd Armored Division, Hell on Wheels.

Thank you and your family for your service and dedication.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 1,344
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    zelmo1234's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,401x in 14,591 Posts
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will be laying a Wreath at the graves of my Great Uncle and His Son WWII and Korea. There are a lot of people that went off to fight for our freedom and did not come back.

In there Memory when you wake on Monday, before you even move just give them a moment of Thanks They went with out asking why and gave their life, so you could live yours.

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 2,150
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,270x in 12,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My late father-in-law's military shadow box hangs in the hallway, and I look at it every day. It contains a couple of WWII campaign medals, Marine Good Conduct and Victory medals, and the Purple Heart for the wounds he suffered on the island of Saipan, after surviving the hell of Tarawa.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (05-27-2023)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,400x in 27,956 Posts
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My late father-in-law's military shadow box hangs in the hallway, and I look at it every day. It contains a couple of WWII campaign medals, Marine Good Conduct and Victory medals, and the Purple Heart for the wounds he suffered on the island of Saipan, after surviving the hell of Tarawa.
    My father fought in the Pacific in WWII, then fought in Korea where he was wounded, and finally in Vietnam near the end of his career.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MisterVeritis For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (05-27-2023),Standing Wolf (05-27-2023)

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 2,150
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,270x in 12,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    My father fought in the Pacific in WWII, then fought in Korea where he was wounded, and finally in Vietnam near the end of his career.
    People sometimes forget that from the end of World War II to the beginning of our involvement in Vietnam was a span of only twenty years.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,400x in 27,956 Posts
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People sometimes forget that from the end of World War II to the beginning of our involvement in Vietnam was a span of only twenty years.
    Yes. My father was a very young man during WWII. I saw a photo of him on the deck of a ship. He looked very, very young.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MisterVeritis For This Useful Post:

OLD GUY IN FLORIDA (05-27-2023)

+ Reply to Thread