Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,264x in 12,387 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    Originally Posted by jes'fuchinwitcha
    Bear in mind, "Conservatives" like to change the meanings of words. It's quite tricky to engage in any meaningful discussion with them.

No it isn't true. Handwringers, pearl clutches, and self loathers notwithstanding.

What does happen is the leftists attributing to the right exactly what the leftists are doing.
    It has long been my experience here that whenever an instance of misbehavior, dishonesty or even criminality by a self-identified conservative is pointed out, the sole response has always been a flagrant what-about-ism. If you recognize your own posting tendencies in my criticism, perhaps you'd do the forum and yourself a service by posting better - more civilly, fairly and honestly - rather than resorting to the old playground "I'm rubber, you're glue" theme.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,578x in 36,515 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    It has long been my experience here that whenever an instance of misbehavior, dishonesty or even criminality by a self-identified conservative is pointed out, the sole response has always been a flagrant what-about-ism. If you recognize your own posting tendencies in my criticism, perhaps you'd do the forum and yourself a service by posting better - more civilly, fairly and honestly - rather than resorting to the old playground "I'm rubber, you're glue" theme.
    If that has been your experience, it's because your one-sided musings are difficult to take seriously.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (06-01-2023)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,540x in 94,964 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with your in-depth analysis is that I am correct. And you are either hand wringing or pearl clutching. I don't think anyone here is interested in that.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 731
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    pjohns's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,280x in 2,740 Posts
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has long been my experience here that whenever an instance of misbehavior, dishonesty or even criminality by a self-identified conservative is pointed out, the sole response has always been a flagrant what-about-ism.
    You make a fair point about the limits of whataboutism: The technical name of this is the tu quoque fallacy.

But it is a logical fallacy only if it is intended to justify the behavior of one group (since the other group does it, also).

If it is meant merely to point our the hypocrisy of the competing group, then it would seem to be quite valid.

Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    jes'fuchinwitcha's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,707x in 1,357 Posts
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pjohns View Post
    You make a fair point about the limits of whataboutism: The technical name of this is the tu quoque fallacy.

But it is a logical fallacy only if it is intended to justify the behavior of one group (since the other group does it, also).

If it is meant merely to point our the hypocrisy of the competing group, then it would seem to be quite valid.
    Also a fair point. Regarding the excuse oriented whaddaboutisms, I find the most interesting ones to be related to attempting to excuse criminality or unethical behavior of a favorite politician or pundit by saying that an opponent did something similar. If that rationale became acceptable, soon there would be nothing but chaos.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jes'fuchinwitcha For This Useful Post:

pjohns (06-07-2023)

Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,409
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Hoosier8's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,215x in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recently, my wife and I have been watching Love It or List It on HGTV. In it, the participants choose between (1) three houses shown them by a real-estate agent (it is usually the last one that is the real contender) and (2) their original home, totally refurbished--actually, refurbished beyond all recognition--by a home designer.

Near the end, David Visentin (the real-estate agent) usually compliments Hillary Farr (the home designer) on the magnificent job that she has done--but then adds an important "but": "But has she given you [fill in the blank]"?

It seems to me that the same approach would be effective in the world of politics, also: "My opponent has some very good ideas; but it seems that he may fall short in this particular area."

Instead, he is typically made out to be the very apotheosis of all that is wrong and dangerous--and perhaps even evil.

This bare-knuckles approach--actually, more like a brass-knuckles approach--simply turns me off.

And I am guessing that it turns off a majority of Americans, also.

Comments?
    Logic does not drive people to the polls, fear and anger does.
    When Donald Trump said to protest “peacefully”, he meant violence.

When he told protesters to “go home”, he meant stay for an insurrection.

And when he told Brad Raffensperger to implement “whatever the correct legal remedy is”, he meant fraud.

War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoosier8 For This Useful Post:

Standing Wolf (06-06-2023)

Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 2,200
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It would, in fact, only be hypocrisy if the critic's "side" was not only guilty of it themselves, but if they denied that fault or tendency. Hypocrisy in that case requires more than simply pointing out someone else's flaw or misbehavior; it also requires that the one pointing out the flaw openly denies that they (or their group) is similarly guilty.

An example, in the context of this forum, would be if someone pointed out a politician's lie. and then made the statement, "That's just what liberals [or conservatives] do" - the implication being that the poster's own side is guilt-free in that area.

Let's be honest - if you or I could only post about an individual or group doing or saying something ridiculous, or about their being engaged in some misbehavior or criminality, if something similar (or worse) hadn't been done or said by someone whose "side" we ostensibly belong to, we'd have to remain silent on those stories. We both know that some of the human beings we may support and agree with are less than perfect. Responding to a story about something Hillary Clinton is supposed to have done by bringing up something Donald Trump is alleged to have done - or vise-versa - is more than a "whataboutism" - it's a diversion and a non sequitur.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would, in fact, only be hypocrisy if the critic's "side" was not only guilty of it themselves, but if they denied that fault or tendency. Hypocrisy in that case requires more than simply pointing out someone else's flaw or misbehavior; it also requires that the one pointing out the flaw openly denies that they (or their group) is similarly guilty.

An example, in the context of this forum, would be if someone pointed out a politician's lie. and then made the statement, "That's just what liberals [or conservatives] do" - the implication being that the poster's own side is guilt-free in that area.

Let's be honest - if you or I could only post about an individual or group doing or saying something ridiculous, or about their being engaged in some misbehavior or criminality, if something similar (or worse) hadn't been done or said by someone whose "side" we ostensibly belong to, we'd have to remain silent on those stories. We both know that some of the human beings we may support and agree with are less than perfect. Responding to a story about something Hillary Clinton is supposed to have done by bringing up something Donald Trump is alleged to have done - or vise-versa - is more than a "whataboutism" - it's a diversion and a non sequitur.
    A common flaw in the whaddaboutism ploy is the fallacy of false equivalence.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jes'fuchinwitcha For This Useful Post:

Standing Wolf (06-06-2023)

Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 2,200
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jes'fuchinwitcha View Post
    A common flaw in the whaddaboutism ploy is the fallacy of false equivalence.
    That's certainly true - sometimes a person will really be reaching. However even when the actions or words are nearly identical, a "whataboutism" would only be on-topic and not a non sequitur if I wrote something like, "DeSantis did so-and-so, and that's not something any Democrat would ever be guilty of".

Another thing we see a lot is the "Where were you when so-and-so did the same thing", and they're referring to something that happened some time ago, when many of us were not even posting on political forums. Or - one I got just yesterday - "I'll bet you didn't think it was funny [or serious, or stupid, etc.] when so-and-so did it". Again, off-topic and not a meaningful or pertinent response.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's certainly true - sometimes a person will really be reaching. However even when the actions or words are nearly identical, a "whataboutism" would only be on-topic and not a non sequitur if I wrote something like, "DeSantis did so-and-so, and that's not something any Democrat would ever be guilty of".

Another thing we see a lot is the "Where were you when so-and-so did the same thing", and they're referring to something that happened some time ago, when many of us were not even posting on political forums. Or - one I got just yesterday - "I'll bet you didn't think it was funny [or serious, or stupid, etc.] when so-and-so did it". Again, off-topic and not a meaningful or pertinent response.
    I'm on the receiving end of new form of it where people troll me by accusing me of trolling - the only way to engage with that is to do a "butwhaddabout you" in response, which is a waste of time. The pragmatic thing to do is to cease in the interaction, and ignore the follow-on trolling of "runner" and "can't debate" taunts.

A lot of the crowd here is pretty low brow.

+ Reply to Thread