Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,087x in 12,282 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

'Sweet Tooth'

We discovered a show on Netflix recently. The second season of eight episodes just dropped last month, and the third and final season is scheduled to be released next year. We're close to finishing the first season, and plan to spread our watching of the second season out as much as possible.

'Sweet Tooth' is a near-future story about a virus that wipes out much of humanity. At the same time, children begin to be born with varying degrees of resemblance to animals. The "hybrids", as they're called, are immune to the virus, and the public - along with what has come to pass for a government - suspects a connection between the hybrids and the virus, so that they are hunted down as freaks, and in some cases used in inhumane experiments in an effort to find a cure for the virus.

The main storyline concerns a man (played by the only on-screen actor I'm familiar with so far, Will Forte) who takes an infant hybrid named Gus into a remote part of Yellowstone to keep him safe, which he is able to do for nine or ten years. Gus appears for the most part to be a normal boy, except that as he grows older the antlers of a deer begin to emerge more obviously from his head, and he has a deer's senses of sight, hearing and smell. As it turns out, Gus's human side is actually more pronounced than that of most hybrids, who cannot talk.

Of course post-apocalyptic stories are all the rage these days, but this show stands out for its relative (though not complete) lack of violence. It comes across very much like a fairy tale - an impression reinforced by Josh Brolin's almost folksy narration. We're really enjoying it, and I'd say that it would even be fine for most kids down to around Gus's age - nine or ten.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

countryboy (05-29-2023),FindersKeepers (05-29-2023),Just AnotherPerson (05-29-2023),Red Lily (05-29-2023)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,903x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Season 1 was interesting enough, with Gus cute and precocious aside Tommy Jepperd, a big hulking street-wise ex-football player played by Nonso Anozie.

Season 2 dispenses with adults except for evil ones and focuses on an oddball cast of kids/animals that's too Woke to watch.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 847
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Red Lily's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,070x in 3,436 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoyed Season 1 and I'm watching Season 2 (I have two episodes to go). I'm not sure that I'd call it woke but some of the kids are definitely a bit oddball.

I rather like Bobby though! Lol

Last edited by Red Lily; 05-29-2023 at 05:18 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red Lily For This Useful Post:

Chris (05-29-2023),Standing Wolf (05-29-2023)

+ Reply to Thread