Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    In some ways we might. If their is a serious SHTF event and society collapses, roving gangs and militia groups would make life hellish for the masses just trying to survive.

In that sense, all of our technology, progress, and accomplishments might serve as more of a deterrent to survival than anything else. For the most part, we no longer retain the individual knowledge to care for ourselves. A breakdown of infrastructure would mean disruption or destruction of transportation systems and, worse, water supply and food supply.

I can only imagine what life might be like if we lost modern amenities, such as electricity, heating, cooling, refrigeration and this--an internet connection.

It seems to me that we'd face immediate shortages of food, clean water, medicine, and we would have no way to produce them.

The social disorder you mention would almost be guaranteed. Crime, violence, lawlessness from the roving gangs and no law enforcement to stop them. People would prey on others for resources.

I have to think that the human capacity for empathy and cooperation would eventually win out, but it could take a very long time, and during that time, we'd be living in a dystopian world.

In a very real sense, the people back in Joan of Arc's time were much more prepared to survive a cataclysm than we are. Survival was a way of life back then. Today, we're soft.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Captdon (05-31-2023),Just AnotherPerson (05-31-2023),Mini Me (06-03-2023),Peter1469 (05-31-2023)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,575x in 94,412 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    In that sense, all of our technology, progress, and accomplishments might serve as more of a deterrent to survival than anything else. For the most part, we no longer retain the individual knowledge to care for ourselves. A breakdown of infrastructure would mean disruption or destruction of transportation systems and, worse, water supply and food supply.

I can only imagine what life might be like if we lost modern amenities, such as electricity, heating, cooling, refrigeration and this--an internet connection.

It seems to me that we'd face immediate shortages of food, clean water, medicine, and we would have no way to produce them.

The social disorder you mention would almost be guaranteed. Crime, violence, lawlessness from the roving gangs and no law enforcement to stop them. People would prey on others for resources.

I have to think that the human capacity for empathy and cooperation would eventually win out, but it could take a very long time, and during that time, we'd be living in a dystopian world.

In a very real sense, the people back in Joan of Arc's time were much more prepared to survive a cataclysm than we are. Survival was a way of life back then. Today, we're soft.
    The Congressional EMP Commission which was established around 2002 concluded that if a solar event or EMP attack took out all US grids, within one year 90% of Americans would be dead. People who require meds and can't get them, other unavailable medical interventions, starvation, diseases, but primarily from societal breakdown and Mad Max like chaos (my term, not theirs).
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (05-31-2023),Just AnotherPerson (05-31-2023)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    The fact that anyone could do something like this to another person is beyond comprehension. But in reality we seen similar behavior from many people who lost their minds during covid. Many were calling for the unvaccinated to be killed, imprisoned, and not offered medical treatment. It was hard to believe that once normal people had lost it so thoroughly. But we all got to see it happen.

It's a scary thing to think about, but I agree--as humans, we're capable of doing just that.

I always come back to fear--this kind of attitude comes from being frightened that another's behavior might harm or kill you.

We could very easily regress to a time when humans responded more like animals than humans. I shouldn't have put it quite that way, animals don't kill their own species just to kill. But, you know what I mean.

The social dynamic following a major cataclysm would almost certainly shift to such a degree, most couldn't survive.

It's always good to retain a bit of self-sufficiency, but I have a feeling rebuilding society would be a long and arduous process.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (05-31-2023),Peter1469 (05-31-2023)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Congressional EMP Commission which was established around 2002 concluded that if a solar event or EMP attack took out all US grids, within one year 90% of Americans would be dead. People who require meds and can't get them, other unavailable medical interventions, starvation, diseases, but primarily from societal breakdown and Mad Max like chaos (my term, not theirs).

The Mad Max parallel is apropos.

The grid technology that makes our lives so simple also paints a big, red X on our foreheads.

When I think about the population congestion in inner cities and metropolises, I don't really question the 90% dead number. It seems frighteningly possible.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Captdon (05-31-2023),Just AnotherPerson (05-31-2023),Peter1469 (05-31-2023)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a scary thing to think about, but I agree--as humans, we're capable of doing just that.

I always come back to fear--this kind of attitude comes from being frightened that another's behavior might harm or kill you.

We could very easily regress to a time when humans responded more like animals than humans. I shouldn't have put it quite that way, animals don't kill their own species just to kill. But, you know what I mean.

The social dynamic following a major cataclysm would almost certainly shift to such a degree, most couldn't survive.

It's always good to retain a bit of self-sufficiency, but I have a feeling rebuilding society would be a long and arduous process.
    Yes x 5.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes x 5.

It's interesting to think about. Scary, but interesting.

I like to think I'd have a better chance since I own prime ag land, but how good would those tractors be when I couldn't get diesel? Suddenly, the amount of acreage I could plant would be vastly reduced and someone would likely be there to challenge me come harvest time.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Captdon (05-31-2023),Just AnotherPerson (05-31-2023)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's interesting to think about. Scary, but interesting.

I like to think I'd have a better chance since I own prime ag land, but how good would those tractors be when I couldn't get diesel? Suddenly, the amount of acreage I could plant would be vastly reduced and someone would likely be there to challenge me come harvest time.
    You can store deiseal. I assume there is an additive like with gasoline to extend its shelf life. You can also make biodiesel and even use grease oil from fast food restaurants.

But also learn how to tilt with draft animals.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 379
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Chuck's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 858x in 616 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In some ways we might. If their is a serious SHTF event and society collapses, roving gangs and militia groups would make life hellish for the masses just trying to survive.

Many small towns and counties experienced just that during the Great Depression. What happened was people simply cleaved to existing local organizations like the American Legion, churches, and Grangers, and took care of what business they could, even making substitutes for money. Bankers who foreclosed on farms were shot at, or the locals simply dominated foreclosure auctions by pre-arranging to let those foreclosed on be the only bidders, sometimes bidding only a nickel.

There is a scene in Dillinger where the gangster played by Harry Dean Stanton kidnaps the college kid and runs out of gas in a small town, then gets shot down and killed by the locals. In other places bank robbers were heroes. The urban areas suffered the most. Mass urbanization today generates a lot more sociopathic people, deviancy, and narcissism, but there will still be similar coalitions in some parts of cities if not universal. Small towns where everybody knows most everybody else will fare better in many cases, if not all. The 'libertarians' and 'anarchists' will die off first.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chuck For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (05-31-2023),Just AnotherPerson (05-31-2023),Peter1469 (05-31-2023)

+ Reply to Thread