Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,870x in 4,195 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    The Salvation Army helped my brother in law get off heroin, and he stayed off. My sister also got clean, but not through the SA. They went on to have meaningful careers and retired a couple of years ago. My sister is so scarred from shooting up, her arms and legs look like she was burned in a fire.

I'm very sorry about your nephew. I recently lost a nephew to a fentanyl overdose.
    Kudos to your BIL and sister for getting straight. And I'm truly sorry about your nephew.

The part that sucks the most (as if it didn't ALL suck) is that there is so much information out there on both heroin and fentanyl that you wonder how they could not know how dangerous they are.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Collateral Damage For This Useful Post:

countryboy (06-06-2023)

Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 697
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    countryboy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,792x in 13,689 Posts
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collateral Damage View Post
    Kudos to your BIL and sister for getting straight. And I'm truly sorry about your nephew.
    They went totally straight too. No alcohol, no cigarettes, no nuthin', lol. God bless them.

My nephew struggled with addiction from a very young age. Fell in with the wrong crowd. Poor kid. His mom (my sister) died of cancer a few years ago, so at least she didn't have to suffer that loss.

The part that sucks the most (as if it didn't ALL suck) is that there is so much information out there on both heroin and fentanyl that you wonder how they could not know how dangerous they are.
    Addiction often overrules common sense, unfortunately.
    Cutesy Time is OVER

4. The Following User Says Thank You to countryboy For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (06-06-2023)

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 271
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,870x in 4,195 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    They went totally straight too. No alcohol, no cigarettes, no nuthin', lol. God bless them.

My nephew struggled with addiction from a very young age. Fell in with the wrong crowd. Poor kid. His mom (my sister) died of cancer a few years ago, so at least she didn't have to suffer that loss.

Addiction often overrules common sense, unfortunately.
    Dropping all the 'addictions' is a pretty much normal response. Not allowing any 'weakness' keeps them on the straight and narrow.

When we were doing a couple of flips, one house we found a wedding album that we thought the family might want back. Since we knew where the family went when they were foreclosed on, I tried to hunt them down via internet, to return the album. It was the right thing to do.

I was floored when a search turned up the wife had died less than 6mths after. Didn't say cause, but since we knew they had been doing drugs, it didn't take much to figure out. And then the obit for the husband came up dated 30 days later. And then the son dated 30 days after that.. The only one left was a 14 year old daughter. It was a Holy $#@! moment. What a horror for all involved.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 697
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    countryboy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,792x in 13,689 Posts
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dropping all the 'addictions' is a pretty much normal response. Not allowing any 'weakness' keeps them on the straight and narrow.

When we were doing a couple of flips, one house we found a wedding album that we thought the family might want back. Since we knew where the family went when they were foreclosed on, I tried to hunt them down via internet, to return the album. It was the right thing to do.

I was floored when a search turned up the wife had died less than 6mths after. Didn't say cause, but since we knew they had been doing drugs, it didn't take much to figure out. And then the obit for the husband came up dated 30 days later. And then the son dated 30 days after that.. The only one left was a 14 year old daughter. It was a Holy $#@! moment. What a horror for all involved.
    Damn.
    Cutesy Time is OVER

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 123
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered10000 Experience Points
    XavierOnassis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 922x in 760 Posts
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Tahuyaman;3752576]The reason I don’t take stuff to goodwill any more is that when both my parents finally passed away I took most of their furniture to the goodwill. It was high end stuff, just not my style. I dropped it off and left. The next day I was driving past and decided to stop in and see out of curiosity what they were asking for it. My wife wanted me to buy back a particular curio cabinet. Bottom line is the furniture never made it to their sales floor. The employees of the goodwill took it.[/QUOTE============================================= =
    But you say that the Goodwill employees are "slave labor". So how do slave laborers pay for items they take? If they stole it, how did you know that they stole it? So why do you feel bad about poor slave laborers getting a break on furniture?

There are better places to donate stuff than Goodwill, or Salvation Army, for sure. I will say this: if you give something away, you should be content about doing so, and are rather foolish to think that you will ever get it back.

In Miami, there are lots of charities and other places where you can give stuff away.

In Kansas City, both Goodwill and the Salvation Army post signs warning people not to just leave stuff there, reminding them that there are security cameras and laws against littering that will be enforced.

+ Reply to Thread