Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,554x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collateral Damage View Post
    Salvation Army still helps people. They just put a religious cover on it.

Matter of fact, my nephew, who had a heroin problem, was living on the streets. He ended up at a Salvation Army shelter, and became friends with one of the staff there, and his story was discussed. LSS, they had my nephew examined by several doctors (at no cost to him) and what had previously been diagnosed as ADHD and a slew of other acronyms, was actually bipolar. Once he was put on meds for bipolar, he gained ground, to the point that he was able to hold a job, and turned his life around. Unfortunately, heroin found him again with a sad outcome 6 years later.
    Sorry to hear that.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (06-01-2023)

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 431
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,800x in 4,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    Sorry to hear that.
    Thanks, but that wasn't the point.

Salvation Army does more than ring a bell at Christmas time, and Goodwill is more than just a used goods outlet. While there are other charitable groups I value higher than either one of those, any group that does good for the community, IMO, is worth supporting.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Collateral Damage For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (06-01-2023)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, but that wasn't the point.

Salvation Army does more than ring a bell at Christmas time, and Goodwill is more than just a used goods outlet. While there are other charitable groups I value higher than either one of those, any group that does good for the community, IMO, is worth supporting.

I do understand that it wasn't the point. I agree with you on some of the charitable organizations but not when it comes to the Goodwill. I also agree with you about how allowing these people to work and interact with the public is a good thing. I just don't agree with not paying them at least minimum wage. The companies are receiving tax incentives to hire them and they also want to skimp on wages. If they are truly hiring these people for the good because they are a company who does good for others then they should be able to pay them. I am not saying all companies or Goodwill's abuse the system but some do, and it's something I can't agree with. I do know there are other organizations who do a lot of good for people and their communities.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,517x in 94,378 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    We use 'green drop' and not interested in selling or tax relief. When you've made it in life, time to give away....

https://www.gogreendrop.com/
    That is who I use.

And you don't have enough itemizations to take a deduction on donated goods. When you take your standard deduction you can deduct up to $300 in cash donations.
    Last edited by Peter1469; 06-02-2023 at 06:34 AM.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 2,929
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 43,643x in 28,237 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    I do understand that it wasn't the point. I agree with you on some of the charitable organizations but not when it comes to the Goodwill. I also agree with you about how allowing these people to work and interact with the public is a good thing. I just don't agree with not paying them at least minimum wage. The companies are receiving tax incentives to hire them and they also want to skimp on wages. If they are truly hiring these people for the good because they are a company who does good for others then they should be able to pay them. I am not saying all companies or Goodwill's abuse the system but some do, and it's something I can't agree with. I do know there are other organizations who do a lot of good for people and their communities.
    Goodwill is not acting as an employer for the handicapped.

They are acting as a school in an effort to train the handicapped to be able to move on and do jobs. That is why the Dept of Labor allows them a special minimum wage to do this charitable work. There is also a expiration on how long they can work at those wages of 2 years, which I assume is to prevent the abuse.
    Let's go Brandon !!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to carolina73 For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (06-02-2023)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina73 View Post
    Goodwill is not acting as an employer for the handicapped.

They are acting as a school in an effort to train the handicapped to be able to move on and do jobs. That is why the Dept of Labor allows them a special minimum wage to do this charitable work. There is also a expiration on how long they can work at those wages of 2 years, which I assume is to prevent the abuse.
    They are treating these people like a sub class of humans that don't have the same rights as the rest of us and that is an abuse. I have been trained on jobs and the pay is always full pay while training. It is wrong, no matter how you try to justify it. You will not convince me in any way shape or form that it is ok for a multi billion dollar profit company to employ disabled people and pay them as little as 2 cents an hour, just not going to happen.

Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 76,958x in 55,587 Posts
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
    The goodwills around here, they mark up on just about anything. Might as well go get it new. It wasn't like that years ago. These no longer serve the poor. The last time I donated a large fish tank with accessory's, the price they put on it, you could have bought a new one, about $10 less. They get it for free and then won't give another person a deal. I don't donate to them anymore.

As an retired reseller myself, their prices are crazy.
    That’s happening with the Goodwill here.

I go there to search through their CD and vinyl records. You can find some good ones if you’re willing to sift through all the Dean Martin, Andy Williams and Slim Whitman stuff.
    When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.“ - Benjamin Franklin.

“When people get used to preferential treatment equal treatment seems like discrimination.” - Thomas Sowell

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 879
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,087x in 12,282 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    That’s happening with the Goodwill here.

I go there to search through their CD and vinyl records. You can find some good ones if you’re willing to sift through all the Dean Martin, Andy Williams and Slim Whitman stuff.
    Don't forget Bert Kaempfert, Mitch Miller and a million different albums of Christmas music. Every once in a while you find a gem, though, and they're usually only a couple of dollars. I found one LP that is a recording of a concert by Peter Seeger and Arlo Guthrie, several by that loveliest of lounge singers Julie London, and once a mid-'60s Beatles rip-off by a band called 'The Buggs'. It's true, you do have to sift through a lot of crap, but sometimes it's worth it.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 76,958x in 55,587 Posts
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    Don't forget Bert Kaempfert, Mitch Miller and a million different albums of Christmas music. Every once in a while you find a gem, though, and they're usually only a couple of dollars. I found one LP that is a recording of a concert by Peter Seeger and Arlo Guthrie, several by that loveliest of lounge singers Julie London, and once a mid-'60s Beatles rip-off by a band called 'The Buggs'. It's true, you do have to sift through a lot of crap, but sometimes it's worth it.

I generally find a great CD or two. Vinyl LP’s are getting harder and harder to find. Now you need to go to a vintage record store where they cost $15.00 or more.
    When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.“ - Benjamin Franklin.

“When people get used to preferential treatment equal treatment seems like discrimination.” - Thomas Sowell

Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,774
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    countryboy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,450x in 13,505 Posts
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Salvation Army still helps people. They just put a religious cover on it.

Matter of fact, my nephew, who had a heroin problem, was living on the streets. He ended up at a Salvation Army shelter, and became friends with one of the staff there, and his story was discussed. LSS, they had my nephew examined by several doctors (at no cost to him) and what had previously been diagnosed as ADHD and a slew of other acronyms, was actually bipolar. Once he was put on meds for bipolar, he gained ground, to the point that he was able to hold a job, and turned his life around. Unfortunately, heroin found him again with a sad outcome 6 years later.
    The Salvation Army helped my brother in law get off heroin, and he stayed off. My sister also got clean, but not through the SA. They went on to have meaningful careers and retired a couple of years ago. My sister is so scarred from shooting up, her arms and legs look like she was burned in a fire.

I'm very sorry about your nephew. I recently lost a nephew to a fentanyl overdose.
    Cutesy Time is OVER

14. The Following User Says Thank You to countryboy For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (06-06-2023)

+ Reply to Thread