Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,548x in 94,970 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear you. I have a condo with condo space. But I make due with storage. Just not as much as I could otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
    Bulk up, Bub. Chest freezer and other options.

Apartment dwellers and those with little space got a rough go with prepping. If you are not a food producer, you need to be a hoarder. If you are not a producer or hoarder, then you have to be a forager, sponger or a werewolf. There is no magic bullet to prepping.

To be a hoarder with little room, get chrome wire shelving and go up to the ceiling with it. Keep adding tubes and shelves until you get to the max height. Have them on high quality casters and have 2 layers of them in front of each other. You roll out the front shelving unit to get to the rear unit.

I like chrome wire shelving as it is very adaptable and standardized to filling even odd spaces. My walls are short. If your walls are a decent length, you could have 500 linear feet of shelving easily.
    When I moved here, they had one narrow 10-foot long by 10-inch-wide wood shelf on the wall. I removed it and went from one 10 linear foot wood shelf of storage to 120 linear feet of shelving with just one layer of shelving on 1-1/2 walls. And as a bonus, my shelf width went from 10 inches deep of wood to 18 inches deep of chrome wire.

If you already have built-in wood shelving, you can add another layer of roll-out chrome wire shelving in front of it. Just get the big, easy roll casters.

Attachment 57891
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (06-04-2023)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,548x in 94,970 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stjames1_53 View Post
    annual property taxes are probably around 700
    I really need to buy something in bug-out land.

These prices you give me. $#@!ing pocket change.

Come live here in the land of Modar.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (06-04-2023)

Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 407
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,466x in 20,422 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    I really need to buy something in bug-out land.

These prices you give me. $#@!ing pocket change.

Come live here in the land of Modar.
    I went by that house. It sold in three weeks for 115k. It had appraised at 147k.
    You want me to keep looking? found another right around the corner (country corner)
    You can always bug out here. Or set up your waystation on the way to your next spot.
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 69
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    jes'fuchinwitcha's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,707x in 1,357 Posts
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here’s some great advice on bugging out when disaster strikes…

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 701
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Abby08's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,341x in 18,869 Posts
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stjames1_53 View Post
    I shop with the wife.
    Food prices are not "easing."

If anything, they're rising.

Not just food, anything that has to be trucked in.

We were in Home Depot yesterday........I needed some pots......25 bucks for a small pot, 10 bucks for a bag of potting soil, that was half that the last time I bought some.

Food?? The price of fresh produce keeps going up, while the quality goes down, the last time we went for salad ingredients, the produce looked old and wilted........and, 2.50 for a tiny head of lettuce? The same for a tiny cauliflower?
    "LET'S GO BRANDON!"

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Abby08 For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (06-11-2023),stjames1_53 (06-05-2023)

Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 44,147x in 28,536 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    China had major wheat crop failures this year.

Food Insecurity: Outlook for 2023

Over the course of 2022, global food prices gradually began to ease. However, this wasn’t necessarily reflected in prices at local markets in countries experiencing food insecurity. Countries that rely on food imports and have low foreign reserves are at greatest risk of seeing a lack of access to food. Costly agricultural input materials, labor and energy also contribute to high food costs.

Notably, the food gap between advanced and developing economies is growing. Developed countries tend to have stronger currencies and better access to credit, meaning food supplies and input materials are generally more affordable and accessible than in developing economies. The most vulnerable countries, however, are often forced to work with institutions like the International Monetary Fund to secure financing to pay for imports. Different countries have varying degrees of success in these negotiations, but it’s generally a challenging path as meeting IMF requirements is for many governments constrained by political considerations at home.

When I look at those countries then most of them are not deserts and their food shortages are self-created, because their ability to create food is unrestricted. Countries like Yemen are obviously not self sustaining. The ability of these countries to civilize themselves is the greatest issue, making this not a global issue.
    Let's go Brandon !!!

Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 69
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    jes'fuchinwitcha's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,707x in 1,357 Posts
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abby08 View Post
    If anything, they're rising.

Not just food, anything that has to be trucked in.

We were in Home Depot yesterday........I needed some pots......25 bucks for a small pot, 10 bucks for a bag of potting soil, that was half that the last time I bought some.

Food?? The price of fresh produce keeps going up, while the quality goes down, the last time we went for salad ingredients, the produce looked old and wilted........and, 2.50 for a tiny head of lettuce? The same for a tiny cauliflower?
    We're selling several grades of high-end compost , ranging from $50 - $100 per cubic yard, which covers all the costs and a modest amount to spare for expansion. That's because we want to help our community to grow more food at home and get off the profit-blinded treadmill to societal collapse. Locals are also bringing us their landscaping wastes, which we grind for mulch, compost, and making biochar+energy. I should have the shrimp aquaculture operation functioning by August, and the high tunnel greenhouses producing in the Fall, so maybe we can eke of a little sustenance over the winter.

Don't bother to tell how stupid I am and how that's no way to run a business, I get it. I'm dumb, dumb, dumb... I should be making as much dough as possible so I could afford to spend lots of money on stuff that comes from unknown places and is of questionable quality. And my neighbors are just going to get lazy and dependent - I'm ruining their lives. And the schoolkids who volunteer their time to help and learn are headed for wasted lives as organic hippie gang members.

Oh Lord, whatever should we do? Are you going to send down another flood to wipe the slate clean?

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 1,403
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    zelmo1234's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,386x in 14,578 Posts
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jes'fuchinwitcha View Post
    We're selling several grades of high-end compost , ranging from $50 - $100 per cubic yard, which covers all the costs and a modest amount to spare for expansion. That's because we want to help our community to grow more food at home and get off the profit-blinded treadmill to societal collapse. Locals are also bringing us their landscaping wastes, which we grind for mulch, compost, and making biochar+energy. I should have the shrimp aquaculture operation functioning by August, and the high tunnel greenhouses producing in the Fall, so maybe we can eke of a little sustenance over the winter.

Don't bother to tell how stupid I am and how that's no way to run a business, I get it. I'm dumb, dumb, dumb... I should be making as much dough as possible so I could afford to spend lots of money on stuff that comes from unknown places and is of questionable quality. And my neighbors are just going to get lazy and dependent - I'm ruining their lives. And the schoolkids who volunteer their time to help and learn are headed for wasted lives as organic hippie gang members.

Oh Lord, whatever should we do? Are you going to send down another flood to wipe the slate clean?
    I noticed that the first like is that you are selling?????? don't you feel guilty. Why are you not giving it away? Would you not be able to help more people if you gave it away?

But on a Serious note I love what you are doing, if people would learn to grow what they can it would make a huge difference, not only in the cost of food, but in their health as well.

Keep up the good work but make sure that you stay in business.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jes'fuchinwitcha View Post

What does that have to do with food shortages in the market place?
    As usual, you failed to address the OP and still managed to make it all about you.
    I believe you about your choice of business...............you shovel tons of it in here every day.
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, I'm a conservative and greedy as hell.............
    I grow for my wife and myself.
    - Thucydides

+ Reply to Thread