User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Barry Sanders is ready to explain why he retired.

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 45,359x in 24,515 Posts
    Mentioned
    870 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Barry Sanders is ready to explain why he retired.

Screenshot 2023-11-23 072100.png

Barry Sanders has just piped a 3 wood maybe 220 yards, splitting the fairway of the 10th hole at the La Cañada Flintridge Country Club, nestled in the foothills northeast of Los Angeles. It’s about as good a first shot as you can hope for. That much is clear to me, at least, and to Sanders’ agent, and to the husband-and-wife member couple hosting us this morning, and quite possibly to the birds chirping and the rabbits hopping and the coyotes lurking around the golf course. It’s not at all clear, though, to Sanders, who is convinced he’s lost his ball in the scrub running down the righthand side of the hole, and who is quietly criticizing his tee shot.

It’s a charming display of modesty from perhaps the greatest running back in NFL history. How many other Hall of Famers would assume that their sorta perfect tee shot had sliced out of bounds? But that was always the thing about Sanders: the way this almost defiantly quiet character was the same guy capable of turning defenders into smoke on the field. Pure sizzle married to lunchpail humility. He was famous for separating would-be tacklers from their jockstraps, and then quietly flipping the ball to the ref after scoring a touchdown. Act like you’ve been there before, the logic went. My dad told me to follow his example when I was a kid, and I’m certain he wasn’t the only ‘90s father to impart that knowledge to his son.

The film gives Sanders a venue to provide the answer to what Amazon marketing bills as “the greatest mystery in sports history.” But when I ask why he thinks his story has resonated with fans all these years, Sanders is typically self-effacing. “I think maybe just because of how I played the game and bursting onto the scene in college,” he says. “I mean, just maybe being a professional athlete and not seeking attention. Maybe because I played for the lovable loser type team, the Lions. I don't know. Just being the guy like that, being one of the top players from that era. I mean, I think there's a lot of reasons why people will gravitate towards my story.”

barry-sanders.gif

barry-sanders (1).gif
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Cotton1 (11-23-2023),donttread (11-30-2023),HawkTheSlayer (11-23-2023)

Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    HawkTheSlayer's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,822x in 4,821 Posts
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now, if we can just get Bernie Sanders to retire, also!

asset-38.jpg
    Today we live. Tomorrow we die
    Evil is da Devil minus da D.

"Evil is powerless if the good aren’t afraid"- Ronald Reagan

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HawkTheSlayer For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (11-26-2023),Cotton1 (11-23-2023),DGUtley (11-23-2023)

Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 76,260x in 55,106 Posts
    Mentioned
    682 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I figured he retired because he could no longer tolerate sacrificing his body in a continual losing effort.
    When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.“ - Benjamin Franklin.

“When people get used to preferential treatment equal treatment seems like discrimination.” - Thomas Sowell

Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 2,187
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,277x in 14,626 Posts
    Mentioned
    317 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post

Attachment 63776

Barry Sanders has just piped a 3 wood maybe 220 yards, splitting the fairway of the 10th hole at the La Cañada Flintridge Country Club, nestled in the foothills northeast of Los Angeles. It’s about as good a first shot as you can hope for. That much is clear to me, at least, and to Sanders’ agent, and to the husband-and-wife member couple hosting us this morning, and quite possibly to the birds chirping and the rabbits hopping and the coyotes lurking around the golf course. It’s not at all clear, though, to Sanders, who is convinced he’s lost his ball in the scrub running down the righthand side of the hole, and who is quietly criticizing his tee shot.

It’s a charming display of modesty from perhaps the greatest running back in NFL history. How many other Hall of Famers would assume that their sorta perfect tee shot had sliced out of bounds? But that was always the thing about Sanders: the way this almost defiantly quiet character was the same guy capable of turning defenders into smoke on the field. Pure sizzle married to lunchpail humility. He was famous for separating would-be tacklers from their jockstraps, and then quietly flipping the ball to the ref after scoring a touchdown. Act like you’ve been there before, the logic went. My dad told me to follow his example when I was a kid, and I’m certain he wasn’t the only ‘90s father to impart that knowledge to his son.

Attachment 63778

The film gives Sanders a venue to provide the answer to what Amazon marketing bills as “the greatest mystery in sports history.” But when I ask why he thinks his story has resonated with fans all these years, Sanders is typically self-effacing. “I think maybe just because of how I played the game and bursting onto the scene in college,” he says. “I mean, just maybe being a professional athlete and not seeking attention. Maybe because I played for the lovable loser type team, the Lions. I don't know. Just being the guy like that, being one of the top players from that era. I mean, I think there's a lot of reasons why people will gravitate towards my story.”

Attachment 63779

Attachment 63780

Attachment 63781
    When does this come out?

Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 76,260x in 55,106 Posts
    Mentioned
    682 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For some reason I didn’t like Barry Sanders early during his career. I thought he was a bit arrogant and a primadonna.

Then I watched an interview with him. He looked to me like one of the most humble and level headed sports superstar’s I had ever seen. I completely changed my opinion of him.

I still think that there were a couple of running backs which should be rated higher than him, but he’s certainly in the top five of all time.
    Last edited by Tahuyaman; 12-02-2023 at 10:38 AM.
    When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.“ - Benjamin Franklin.

“When people get used to preferential treatment equal treatment seems like discrimination.” - Thomas Sowell

+ Reply to Thread