User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I wish adults were more open to "Adult Animation" that wasn't raunchy comedy

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    StarlightZeroHour's Avatar Junior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13x in 9 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish adults were more open to "Adult Animation" that wasn't raunchy comedy

It would certainly lower the costs of making sci fi for TV.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to StarlightZeroHour For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (11-25-2023)

Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,772
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,956x in 12,200 Posts
    Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Suggestions: Make the images less "cartoony" and more realistic. I'm not a gamer, but some of the previews and excerpts from some games these days look like real human actors and background; I've sometimes even been fooled into thinking that I was watching an ad for an upcoming life action film or series. I believe that would absolutely serve to influence people to take them more seriously. Also, edit the stories more like live action films and shows are edited - it's the way people are used to seeing stories told. That would mean not cutting away every three to five seconds, so that it looks almost like a series of static drawings strung together. These clips look like slightly Westernized Japanese anime, and anime will never have more than a cult following in the U.S.
    "The first thing you want to do after being shot is make sure you are not shot again." - Ace Atkins

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak."
    - Larry McMurtry

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 2,413
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,542x in 4,307 Posts
    Mentioned
    631 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm satisfied to be part of the serious adult animation cult. And also the juvenile animation cult. I never really grew out of loving cartoons. Hand-drawn animation in particular is so much more expressive than the strictly life-like kind that it has its own distinctive charm that I just never get tired of. Some others around here who favor such exponentially more grown-up content as Marvel superhero pictures just have a pretentious need of feeling superior when they are not, so they condescend. I really couldn't care less if they share my interests.

Over the course of my life, I've developed three definite favorite animated series. In their respective categories, those are Serial Experiments Lain in the serious sci-fi (cyberpunk) category...

...Aggretsuko in the comedy category...

...and She-Ra and the Princesses of Power in the teen animation category.

When it comes to shows you highlighted, Pantheon in particular looks pretty awesome and interesting! I don't feel like I learned enough about Scavengers Reign from that trailer though to become super interested in that one.
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 11-25-2023 at 01:31 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPress Polly For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (11-25-2023)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Polly, first, there's nothing wrong with belonging to a cult - I no doubt belong to several fandoms that could be so classified - and I would never use the term in a disparaging way. (Well, that isn't entirely true, but this is not a political thread, so I won't go there.)

As for "condescending" - SZH stated in the thread title that they wished more people would be open to adult but non-raunchy animated sci-fi, and I took that to mean that suggestions for how that could be accomplished were being solicited. I was in no way being "condescending", and my sole intent was to be helpful. Sometimes it takes someone outside the "cult" to see and point out the aspects of the group's practices that are preventing interest in it from becoming more widespread.

If StarlightZeroHour was only wishing that more people would suddenly acquire their (and presumably your) tastes in the matter and like big-eyed humanoids and quick-cuts that threaten to cause seizures, and not soliciting suggestions on how animated sci-fi could achieve a greater audience, I'm assuming that he or she will tell me.
    "The first thing you want to do after being shot is make sure you are not shot again." - Ace Atkins

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak."
    - Larry McMurtry

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 892
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Omar's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,363x in 4,544 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StarlightZeroHour View Post
    It would certainly lower the costs of making sci fi for TV.
    Animation used to be more expensive than live action, since it had to be created. Have computers changed that? Or is it that if you take special effects into account (since it's sci fi), it's cheaper to animate them?
    "Look into my eyes - I guarantee you - I guarantee you we are going to end fossil fuels" - Joe Biden

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    631 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    Polly, first, there's nothing wrong with belonging to a cult - I no doubt belong to several fandoms that could be so classified - and I would never use the term in a disparaging way. (Well, that isn't entirely true, but this is not a political thread, so I won't go there.)

As for "condescending" - SZH stated in the thread title that they wished more people would be open to adult but non-raunchy animated sci-fi, and I took that to mean that suggestions for how that could be accomplished were being solicited. I was in no way being "condescending", and my sole intent was to be helpful. Sometimes it takes someone outside the "cult" to see and point out the aspects of the group's practices that are preventing interest in it from becoming more widespread.

If StarlightZeroHour was only wishing that more people would suddenly acquire their (and presumably your) tastes in the matter and like big-eyed humanoids and quick-cuts that threaten to cause seizures, and not soliciting suggestions on how animated sci-fi could achieve a greater audience, I'm assuming that he or she will tell me.
    I'm just sharing my thoughts opinions, not attempting to speak for Starlight.

You mentioned video games. I'm a gamer myself, and an elder one obviously. I'm mostly into indie games though while my tastes in game graphics span the gamut from super realistic AAA games to wildly cutesy and exaggerated styles that can be made by a single person, but usually are not dissimilar from my general yet not absolute preference for the superior expressiveness of hand-drawn animation. Here's what a few upcoming(-ish) games I'm most excited about playing look like, for example.

But yeah, I know that's just me and not most people. I am not most people and don't want to be.
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 11-25-2023 at 08:05 AM.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    I'm just sharing my thoughts opinions, not attempting to speak for Starlight.

You mentioned video games. I'm a gamer myself, and an elder one obviously. I'm mostly into indie games though while my tastes in game graphics span the gamut from super realistic AAA games to wildly cutesy and exaggerated styles that can be made by a single person, but usually are not dissimilar from my general yet not absolute preference for the superior expressiveness of hand-drawn animation. Here's what a few upcoming(-ish) games I'm most excited about playing look like, for example.

But yeah, I know that's just me and not most people. I am not most people and don't want to be.
    The way 'The Last of Us' looks - that super-realistic style - I would definitely watch an animated sci-fi film or show like that. (I love the live action show, btw. I can't believe we have to wait till 2025 to watch season 2.)

- Larry McMurtry

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    631 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    The way 'The Last of Us' looks - that super-realistic style - I would definitely watch an animated sci-fi film or show like that. (I love the live action show, btw. I can't believe we have to wait till 2025 to watch season 2.)
    The live-action show is a masterpiece! It's the best video game-inspired TV show ever made, seriously. Usually shows based on games just exist to sell more copies of games, so they're just thrown together very lazily and half-heartedly. This is a big exception to the rule that's actually meant to like possibly win awards and stuff. The game is tonally very similar, but some elements are different and the characters aren't entirely as fleshed out. I still kind of like the game version better by a slim margin, to tell you the truth. Being able able to interact with the world just inescapably makes a difference in how personal the narrative feels to me. I'm also viscerally attached to Ashley Johnson's version of Ellie despite Bella Ramsey doing a spectacular job of conveying Ellie's personality in her own right. Part 2 is even better, in my opinion. To put it a certain way, the second game was created to be mainly a kind of metaphor for the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. (The director of both games, Neil Druckmann, is a kind of liberal Jew, so it gets quite interesting. And, needless to say, it feels even more poignant right now than it did at the time.)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,424x in 25,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    1163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. Probably my favorite animation series so far was the Castlevania series on Netflix. Very mature, very dark, and very good writing. I wish they would make more like it.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

+ Reply to Thread