Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jes'fuchinwitcha View Post
    Can your local community raise enough food to feed itself if the trucks stopped running?

Mine certainly can't, but basically no one cares. The local university is hosting a public forum Wednesday evening, apparently to tout its intention to begin raising food for the student body in a couple of smallish greenhouses.

They are in for a rude awakening about what local food sustainability entails, which could be a good thing.

https://permaculturism.com/how-much-...ed-one-person/

I'm in rural Kansas, and my state supplies the food for many Americans.

That said, if trucks stop running, the situation will become dire even for us. Who trucks in the seeds to grow the wheat, corn, soybeans, and milo? Where is the fuel to run our massive tractors and combines? If we're going back to old-time farming, very few can be fed because we no longer have the old equipment in working order or the horses to pull it.

I own 80 acres of prime farmground, but being able to farm it would be the challenge.

People have no clue what it takes to farm the food necessary to feed a family much less the population in the US/world today.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A major problem with local food sustainability is that there is no way to react on a short timeframe. If you aren't producing enough food now, everyone will die before capacity can be ramped up.

That's a good point.

Mormons typically store a few months of food for their families, but I have a feeling hungry folks would target them first.

Even if you have food, how do you keep from having it taken away?
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 1,402
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    zelmo1234's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 19,551x in 14,008 Posts
    Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually wanted to look in the pantry to see what we have. 47 Pints of Green Beans Canned, 19 pints of carrots Canned, 31 pints of dill pickles Canned (yes but you have not tasted my little one's dill pickles) 14 quarts of Tomato Juice Canned, 8 pint of Banna peppers, 8 pintso f pickled beets 12 pints of canned beets. 14 butter cup squash, 8 Spaghetti squash, and 11 Acorn squash. 3 jars of honey for my sons friend that keeps bees. And 6 jars of something that I don't want to know about, I am pretty sure? Mystery veggie

there are at least 18 pints of various jams and jellies

I know that we have a lot of Sweet Corn, Broccoli and Cauliflower, in the freezer as well as some different kings of peppers for cooking.

And a row of parsnips in the ground for harvest in the spring

Protein would not be a problem Fishing, Hunting would provide that!

Clearly me and my little one could weather a pretty good storm, I know that my son and Jackie oldest Son also have gardens and have some things put up. but not to the extent that we do. In their defense, My little one can have employee's at the stores help her and I in this preparation, And every year as part of Christmas we give a Winter care package with all canned goods to all of our employees that is stored in the Coral Store back room as it is really large. there is always a bit left over there and that is for gifts for family and friends,

the better part of a 1000 gallons of Rec Gas in the tank and a natura gas generator.

We are all set.

And far as finders question how to you keep it, plenty of copper and lead, and training, Not only do dead men tell not lies, but they also need no food

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 145,952x in 93,393 Posts
    Mentioned
    2541 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    So ramp it up before it's a crisis
    IMO, we should be able to sustain overselves based on what's produced in a 50 mile radius
    If you produced all the components a pencil, you crowd out something else. Or are you talking just about food.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 993
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered10000 Experience Points
    jes'fuchinwitcha's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,657x in 1,315 Posts
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    That's a good point.

Mormons typically store a few months of food for their families, but I have a feeling hungry folks would target them first.

Even if you have food, how do you keep from having it taken away?
    And if you are seriously Christian-minded, how do you keep yourself from sharing what you have with people in need?

My opening speculative context, “if the trucks stop running”, is just a euphemism for any serious disruption to our modern culture, meant to crack the door open to a bit of real world based systems thinking. Your point of the starving folks desperately overrunning assets like DG’s is a great systems thought provoker. Sustainably is not as simple as having some singular personal capacity to acquire food - looking just slightly under the veneer of owning relevant assets, one sees that there is a large and complex support system needed to operate a food production operation, especially for larger scale industrial agriculture. Machines, fuel, water, chemical inputs, storage, power, labor, subsidies, markets, distribution, etc.

One line of thinking about not starving in a time of disruption is to somehow possess and mange enough of the system to stay productive, and having a strong defense against marauders. That would take some serious investment and organization in preparation.

Another opposite strategy would be to have developed a robust community alliance that has made gardening and low input small farming a major element of the culture. That will also take some serious investment and organization in preparation.
    You can't solve a problem until you understand what the problem is...

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 45,359x in 24,515 Posts
    Mentioned
    870 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And if you are seriously Christian-minded, how do you keep yourself from sharing what you have with people in need?

My opening speculative context, “if the trucks stop running”, is just a euphemism for any serious disruption to our modern culture, meant to crack the door open to a bit of real world based systems thinking. Your point of the starving folks desperately overrunning assets like DG’s is a great systems thought provoker. Sustainably is not as simple as having some singular personal capacity to acquire food - looking just slightly under the veneer of owning relevant assets, one sees that there is a large and complex support system needed to operate a food production operation, especially for larger scale industrial agriculture. Machines, fuel, water, chemical inputs, storage, power, labor, subsidies, markets, distribution, etc.

One line of thinking about not starving in a time of disruption is to somehow possess and mange enough of the system to stay productive, and having a strong defense against marauders. That would take some serious investment and organization in preparation.

Another opposite strategy would be to have developed a robust community alliance that has made gardening and low input small farming a major element of the culture. That will also take some serious investment and organization in preparation.
    These are good points. Look at the Amish - low input economically / materially but not in terms of labor. Out where I'm from, people have a tendency to 'take care of our own' - help each other etc.

Interesting fact: The Amish wouldn't fight - but they fed. They fed the troops on their way to the coasts. https://dennisondepot.org/national-landmark/
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 449
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Hoosier8's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,051x in 6,348 Posts
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One slaughtered cow can sustain one person for a year if you have a freezer or if you salt or can.

You get all nutrients you need from ruminant animals, cows, goats, etc..

Get some cows.

If the trucks stop, no escargot for you.
    Last edited by Hoosier8; 11-29-2023 at 07:46 AM.
    When Donald Trump said to protest “peacefully”, he meant violence.

When he told protesters to “go home”, he meant stay for an insurrection.

And when he told Brad Raffensperger to implement “whatever the correct legal remedy is”, he meant fraud.

War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hoosier8 For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (11-29-2023),Peter1469 (11-29-2023)

Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 993
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered10000 Experience Points
    jes'fuchinwitcha's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,657x in 1,315 Posts
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still working on the aquaculture/greenhouse at the farm. There is a 1000 gallon tank in the middle that we intend to raise shrimp in, filtering the water with biochar that is produced by the device that will heat the greenhouse. The fish poop enriched biochar will go into the composting operation, eventually ending up in the vegetable beds in the greenhouse and outdoors.

Last edited by jes'fuchinwitcha; 12-01-2023 at 07:00 PM.
    You can't solve a problem until you understand what the problem is...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jes'fuchinwitcha For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (12-02-2023)

+ Reply to Thread