User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Just??? Got me thinking?

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 2,235
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,441x in 11,734 Posts
    Mentioned
    1721 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardMZhlubb View Post
    He's a clown. The best description I've seen of Peterson is that he's what a dumb person thinks a smart person looks and acts like.
    He's actually very intelligent but he makes the mistake of thinking he specializes in all areas of his field. I appreciate his efforts with freedom of speech in academic settings, but I think he wastes an opportunity to fight for that by then saying things that are more based on dogmatism than empiricism or rationalism.
    FYIWDWYTM

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 2,235
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,441x in 11,734 Posts
    Mentioned
    1721 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Also, as far as Marxism and communism are concerned, the only way that this topic has ever been raised within my "academic career" was during an existentialist theory/therapy class and an epistemology class. Ideas that seem good on paper but have clearly failed in application, but underlying ideas can be found sprinkled throughout the arts, humanities, and social sciences. I doubt these factor into voting decisions by colleagues, but I could be mistaken - more modern equivalents exist within the upper echelons of study. I do get a sense that a lot of people are just frustrated by the entire political process. If it weren't for Goldwater, I would opine about what I think about both Biden and Trump and it would not be nice, but ethical constraints exist for a reason. Nonetheless, those conversations do occur privately, and the general vibe seems to be amazement at where the United States is at information and technology.
    FYIWDWYTM

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 376
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Hoosier8's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,063x in 6,354 Posts
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    Both sides are guilty of the same things.

True that education does not equate to intelligence, although doctoral studies tend to see a higher mean IQ due to the nature of research and such. There is a lot of within group variation, though - compare someone in the arts to someone in physics or mathematics, for example. When education reaches a certain point, IQ has to correlate as a natural consequence of the work and cognitive burden.

Beyond undergraduate studies, the "sit and listen" thing is less of an issue because you design your course of study in a highly specialized subject area. So, I am in a field that is very broad, but my clinical focus is very specific, and my research is very specific; outside of that, I rely on colleagues for consultation and as resources. Even though I have an education exceeding all other professionals in that broad area, my focus has been on a handful of areas. Part of what I think makes academics differ from others is the ability to recognize the very small place they are truly experts.
    Educations main benefit is teaching how to learn. Intelligent people take it further. The successful accomplish something. That is a minority of people. The rest of the fully educated have to work even if it’s putting out required papers which in most cases anymore is a hustle as the majority of papers do not stand the test of time.
    When Donald Trump said to protest “peacefully”, he meant violence.

When he told protesters to “go home”, he meant stay for an insurrection.

And when he told Brad Raffensperger to implement “whatever the correct legal remedy is”, he meant fraud.

War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.

+ Reply to Thread