Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 158x in 126 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Society doesn't make laws, governments do.
    If you are trying to say society can express its disapproval, that's fine.

Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 174
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    undine's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 158x in 126 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    OK, I see the problem. When I say society should decide I don't mean politically through the state but socially in establishing norms, traditions, institutions.

I think we agree that an individual should be free from government interference as to whom he or she marries, but we should also be free to be against it and not pparticipate. A church congregation should be free to recognize and celebrate gays marrying just as another should be free to not do so, for example.

Just keep government out of it--or given the reality of its intrusive nature, as Alyosha points out, fight to make it, government, right.
    Okay, then I suppose we agree. However, since the government currently regulates marriage it should not discriminate against consenting adults.

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,498
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassSocialOverdrive25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Max Rockatansky's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,801x in 2,984 Posts
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alyosha View Post
    Untrue, the forum is luckily represented by a vast number of libertarians who wish the government to cease oppressing our liberties, including the natural right to form families of our choosing.
    You assumed I was talking about Libertarians and not those who seek to oppress the rights of others based upon arbitrary, whimsical measures? That's fascinating. It's still a.m. where you are correct? Not after 5pm?

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,532x in 55,048 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by undine View Post
    Okay, then I suppose we agree. However, since the government currently regulates marriage it should not discriminate against consenting adults.
    Agree. And should extricate itself as it did in the Court finding DOMA unconstitutional.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,430
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Codename Section's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,845x in 7,281 Posts
    Mentioned
    983 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Road Warrior View Post
    You assumed I was talking about Libertarians and not those who seek to oppress the rights of others based upon arbitrary, whimsical measures? That's fascinating. It's still a.m. where you are correct? Not after 5pm?
    Naw, I think she's just saying that this forum doesn't have tons of the type you're used to without saying it. BTW, how loud is that echo now? Gotta be deafening.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,532x in 55,048 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by undine View Post
    If you are trying to say society can express its disapproval, that's fine.

Yes, that's one way to put it.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,498
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassSocialOverdrive25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Max Rockatansky's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,801x in 2,984 Posts
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Codename Section View Post
    Naw, I think she's just saying that this forum doesn't have tons of the type you're used to without saying it. BTW, how loud is that echo now? Gotta be deafening.
    Not tons. It only takes a handful with 10,000 posts each.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Max Rockatansky For This Useful Post:

Codename Section (01-10-2014)

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 733
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mr Happy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 449x in 372 Posts
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iustitia View Post
    1. I still think you misunderstand me. I'm sure anyone that believes in limited government is a right winger to you, myself included. My point is I absolutely do not identify with labels like that because they're meaningless and discourage intellectual debate. I blatantly do not accept the notion of being defined or confined to a left-right spectral dichotomy based on distinctions without differences. In other words, left and right do not exist and I refuse to go along with it.
    2. You're using terms, it would seem, without knowing their meaning. Bigotry means complete intolerance of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one's own. We're standing on religious, moral, social, historical and legal principles. Firmly so. Having a belief isn't intolerant. I think the opposite could be true. That repeatedly accusing the other side of an argument of being bigoted or prejudiced, in order to either silence or pressure them into submission or guilt, is intolerant as well as blatantly lazy, ignorant and disingenuous.
    3. Many things should change. Something that's not broken has no reason to.
    It is not lazy to call bigotted behaviour what it is. And I am not misusing the term. You are trying to intellectualise an argument to further your own agenda. There is not need to do so for such simple subject matter.

And it is broken, which is why people are seeking the change.

As for the political spectrum and which side you fall, when you have a sig line like yours, well, you make your own bed. I think most of us don't like being labelled left or right.
    Hands up who likes a snitch?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Happy For This Useful Post:

undine (01-10-2014)

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 2,257
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,050x in 8,898 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iustitia View Post
    The problem with originalism isn't a problem at all unless you're lazy. If you're not going to reference something in context then you shouldn't reference it. If no heed is paid to intent then there's no inherent truth to be taken from said citation. Yes it can take time to flesh out meaning from old language, and I think the time spent quibbling is worth it.

No one said anyone was in charge... I believe you're ascribing actions and intention to me that are not so.

...What? I think we're having another breakdown in communication.
    Words change in meaning over time. For instance the word gay means something very different now than it did 60 years ago.

The word marriage Marriage (also called matrimony or wedlock) is a socially or ritually recognized union or legal contract between spouses that establishes rights and obligations between them, between them and their children, and between them and their in-laws. The definition of marriage varies according to different cultures, but it is principally an institution in which interpersonal relationships, usually intimate and sexual, are acknowledged. In some cultures, marriage is recommended or considered to be compulsory before pursuing any sexual activity. When defined broadly, marriage is considered a cultural universal. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriage

It is not in the realm of human history a very old concept, having only developed in the 11th or 12th century, and according to some, evolved only to create a demand right of sexual access and legitimize offspring for the purposes of legal rights to children and inheritance. Subsequent to that time it essentially establishes legal rights and duties between the partners to each other, to the offspring and with the state. Since the idea of legal marriage does not date back to the beginning of time, it does not have any natural right not to evolve with the customs and mores of humanity.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread