User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: World Hockey Juniors 2015

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 2,012
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,449x in 11,739 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

World Hockey Juniors 2015

The semi-finals are next up. Canada versus Slovakia (who we beat 8-0 in our first game) and Russia versus Sweden. Canada hasn't lost yet but Russia usually comes out and plays a good game when we match up with them. Be interesting to see whether we go up against Sweden or Russia. It's been a while since our Juniors performed this well. Packed arenas in Montreal and Toronto should be a confidence booster. Russia unfortunately beat out the Americans in the quarter-finals. And an American versus Canada final is always fun since Americans could buy tickets and come here.

Anyone else been watching?

The Canada versus Denmark game was last night. After the 7th goal Canada seemed to stop trying to score out of good sportsmanship but they managed to get another in. They played more of their fourth line and it basically turned into a scrimmage to practice the fourth line's power play as well as defense. It was sort of bizarre to watch and they still got an 8th goal. I felt bad for their goalie. It was also quite apparent that a few Danish players just wanted to pick fights at that point - notably #20 Eller who seemed to get benched for about 3 minutes in the 3rd after picking a couple fights and when he was back on the ice he immediately got a penalty.

I've been in a few games where you're down by a lot and can understand the Danes being frustrated. I don't doubt that Slovakia is not looking forward to rematch, either. Although they did manage to beat the Czechs. Could have been first game jitters although they were extremely sloppy with the puck and passes. It was as though they'd set up their lines, but the players didn't get where they were supposed to be, and the passes were made assuming they'd be there. Canada turned over the puck so many times. I was watching with my family and said "there" every time Canada got a pass from a Slovak. Would have made a good drinking game.

It's pretty amazing to watch/listen to 20,000 people sing Canada's anthem when we win a game. Even better is that most people in Montreal sing it the way I do - half in French, half in English. It's not until 'God keep our land glorious and free,' that everyone gets in total unison.

Unfortunately, one of our best players was injured last night. High ankle or knee most likely. Fabbri, from Guelph.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Adelaide For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (01-03-2015)

Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,094
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    sachem's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,876x in 3,229 Posts
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't been watching. Usually the only college/junior hockey I follow is the Frozen Four.

Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,094
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    sachem's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,876x in 3,229 Posts
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    The semi-finals are next up. Canada versus Slovakia (who we beat 8-0 in our first game) and Russia versus Sweden. Canada hasn't lost yet but Russia usually comes out and plays a good game when we match up with them. Be interesting to see whether we go up against Sweden or Russia. It's been a while since our Juniors performed this well. Packed arenas in Montreal and Toronto should be a confidence booster. Russia unfortunately beat out the Americans in the quarter-finals. And an American versus Canada final is always fun since Americans could buy tickets and come here.

Anyone else been watching?

The Canada versus Denmark game was last night. After the 7th goal Canada seemed to stop trying to score out of good sportsmanship but they managed to get another in. They played more of their fourth line and it basically turned into a scrimmage to practice the fourth line's power play as well as defense. It was sort of bizarre to watch and they still got an 8th goal. I felt bad for their goalie. It was also quite apparent that a few Danish players just wanted to pick fights at that point - notably #20 Eller who seemed to get benched for about 3 minutes in the 3rd after picking a couple fights and when he was back on the ice he immediately got a penalty.

I've been in a few games where you're down by a lot and can understand the Danes being frustrated. I don't doubt that Slovakia is not looking forward to rematch, either. Although they did manage to beat the Czechs. Could have been first game jitters although they were extremely sloppy with the puck and passes. It was as though they'd set up their lines, but the players didn't get where they were supposed to be, and the passes were made assuming they'd be there. Canada turned over the puck so many times. I was watching with my family and said "there" every time Canada got a pass from a Slovak. Would have made a good drinking game.

It's pretty amazing to watch/listen to 20,000 people sing Canada's anthem when we win a game. Even better is that most people in Montreal sing it the way I do - half in French, half in English. It's not until 'God keep our land glorious and free,' that everyone gets in total unison.

Unfortunately, one of our best players was injured last night. High ankle or knee most likely. Fabbri, from Guelph.
    As a Boston Bruins fan I have no love for Montreal. I like the Canadian anthem, but the all English version.

No offense.

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sachem View Post
    I haven't been watching. Usually the only college/junior hockey I follow is the Frozen Four.
    Canadians are crazy for junior hockey. My family is apart of the junior hockey club of my city. Every game has 6000+ people in attendance (packed house). The OHL also has a few American teams, actually, so American players are mixed in.

Canada gets the world Junior's so often because no one else can pack a house like us for junior hockey. The IIHF makes a $#@! ton of money when arenas with 20000 seats are completely filled.

The hockey is good. I'll never understand why some hockey clubs in the OHL don't function the same as my city's. You can pay far less to attend a junior game and get a good game than pay ridiculous prices for an NHL ticket and see hockey that yes, is better, but is it really worth the cost?

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sachem View Post
    As a Boston Bruins fan I have no love for Montreal. I like the Canadian anthem, but the all English version.

No offense.
    Hah - none taken. In school we were mostly taught the mixed French and English version probably to be politically correct. The French lyrics don't match up with the English so I actually have to think about it when it's all in English. The French translation is actually kind of nice in it's own way.

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Sweden just lost to Russia so looks like Canada will be going up against them in the finals. Canada goes up against Slovakia in half an hour.

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 473
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    PolWatch's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 25,148x in 15,266 Posts
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like Canadian junior hockey attracts the same type of crowd that our junior levels of football. I enjoy college football because I have been watching some of those kids play since they were 7 or 8 years old. I enjoy it much more than pro-sports.

+ Reply to Thread